Prophet Guest

Deadline approaching

Deadline approaching
    Thursday, October 12th, 2006
    by Judd Zulgad

The Vikings players might be off this week but the personnel department at Winter Park has no such luxury. In addition to monitoring other teams and free agents around the league, coach Brad Childress, seldom-heard-from vice president of player personnel Rick Spielman and others are preparing for the NFL trade deadline on Tuesday.

On his KFAN Radio show this week Childress did not close the door on the possibility of a trade. Of course, there are few meaningful deals in the NFL; the deadlines for Major League Baseball, the NHL and the NBA spark far more interest.

The folks at Pro Football Talk –http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm – have an interesting item today about why they feel the NFL’s trade deadline arrives too early in the year.

The reality is even if the Vikings do make a deal it probably would be minor.

Now back to Spielman. Yes, he used to work for ESPN and as far as anyone can tell is very articulate. But so far the Vikings have done little to get his voice out in public. Several early season requests to talk to Spielman were denied. One must assume he is doing far more talking behind the scenes.

The Vikings’ website does a regular feature with Spielman. This week it can be found at http://www.vikings.com/news_detail_objectname_VikingsInsider10606.html

The questions, you’ll find, are on the general side. It would be interesting to see the feature updated before Tuesday with some observations from Spielman about the deadline.

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Deadline approaching

If we traded for someone I'd be VERY surprised.After seeing how the Eagles ran thier ship the past 4-5 years, we'll make use of what we got now.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:
    If we traded for someone I'd be VERY surprised.After seeing how the Eagles ran thier ship the past 4-5 years, we'll make use of what we got now.
    thats what i've been saying since the end of preseason when everyone has been crying for more WR's =]

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Mr Anderson is online now Jersey Retired

There aren't really any moves to be made. Maybe we pick up another no name receiver, or another backup lineman, but I don't think there is a shot at us really doing anything big, we don't need anything big. Maybe the offense can trade for a pair of balls, like testicles, not footballs. Since the offense, or maybe just the man running it, seems to posess zero testicles. Too conservative, loosen up, throw it deep, we have the people, do it, do it. Bacardi and cola, do it.

There is one move I would love to see made but we all know thats not happening.

marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

I think B.C. is going to just kick back now and let the roster stay as is. Barring injury, of course.

There really aren't many viable options out there, and he's not gonna make a move, just to make a move.

On that note, I wonder who talked him in to Bethel Johnson...
    -Sno

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"SnoBumMN" wrote:
    I think B.C. is going to just kick back now and let the roster stay as is. Barring injury, of course.

There really aren't many viable options out there, and he's not gonna make a move, just to make a move.

On that note, I wonder who talked him in to Bethel Johnson...

They've been bringing players in every week for tryouts. Johnson was actally brought in about 2 weeks ago.

They couldn't sign him then because they needed an extra QB on the roster while
    T-Jack was out, plus they had to keep Mann on the roster for 3 weeks because he was signed off of the Seahawks practice squad.

I think they have been looking for a kick-off return man & someone to bolster their special teams unit, ever since T-Will fumbled that kick-off.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"