Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Re: A day to cool off...a week to ponder...

New Wr's (Taylor, Williamson)- and Robinson (Although we haven't seen him yet). Taylor is steppiong up and Williamson had some deep catches versus the Bengals, so this is again a positive. Nate appears to be injured, so Robinson becomes even more important.

When did he have big catches downfield. I recall one catch and that was for 20 yards and he ran for about 10 after the catch. Did I miss something?

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Jviking is offline Pro-Bowler

Caine, you summed up all of my thoughts. What to do now????
    I would like to be a fly on the wall in Zygi's office...
    I BLEED PURPLE!

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Does Zygi speak english? lol

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

I have to say Sunday (Bengals game) was one of the worst days of my life as a Vikings fan. It was just horrible. It only hit me later in the day, when some fan was asking me "what happened?". It all came out. I said, for the first time in my life, I was actually ashamed of what we put out on the field on a Sunday. Even that horrific 41-0 loss at NY Giants was not as bad, because, hey, at least we were one game from the "Show" back then. This one really hurt.

Anyway, I had mailed my brother up in MN last week, and said, "I hope Culpepper doesn't try to do too much, and just lets the defense win it". Man, was I wrong. The defense gave up one huge play after the next. So Culpepper had no cushion to fall back on. Let's face it, 14-0 is hard for any QB, and the tendency is to "get one" right now. I also can't really blame a QB who threw for like 4,000 yards and 39 TDs last year to think "I can do this". Wouldn't you ? Against the Bengals defense ?? Then Bennett funmbles twice. The snowball starts to roll down that hill, and you know Tice, C-pepper, Loney and co are not going to stop it at this point. Can you imagine that happening to a Bill Parcells team or a Bellichek team ? He would call a long timeout and have a talk with the assistants. I think cretain veterans at that point would stand up and say, "not with me, man, I am going to start playing". Let's face it, this is pro football and it is half about emotion and focus (the other half is skill). Daunte, after that 3rd INT, should have been throwin only fakes, and running it, and then hit the first guy not in Purple he saw, just to spark the team and to get rid of some frustration. I mean, imagine you are 265, 6-4, and like him. I would have said in the huddle, "I am running downfield and I am knocking over a linebacker, who is with me ?!". That tends to fire up a defense. Remember the hit Elway took in their first Super Bowl win ? It fired the team up !

Anyway, I also think that the Vikings need to have a clinic on how to not fumble, a la Tiki Barber did when he went from being a fumbler to not being a fumbler. It is learnable, as he shows.

The offense has to throw more short routes, because if they don't the defense just draws back and tees off on your recievers. They need to throw a slant or two. Why does C-pepper always have to take a 4-step drop ? Why don't the receivers run shorter routes ? Why does Daunte think Burleson can leap like Randy could ? Why don't they throw to the running backs more ? I thought this was supposed to be the Joe Bugel/Redskins-type offense, with a lot of throws the backs and tight ends ? All I see is Daunte standing forever in the pocket, and the receivers running 30-yard routes, and being covered.

Am I missing something ? The offense is just too one-dimensional. And when you only run the ball 12 times in both games, you get one-dimensional, and the defense just tees off on you.

Ultimately, I think the team will be better.

Here is my 5-point plan:

1. I agree the team just has to gel, as was stated above. It might take 5 games. Please remember defenses gel faster than offenses, too.

2. Culpepper has to quit forcing things, and let what comes come. He also needs to run a lot more.

3. They need to run short routes and 2-step drops to keep the defense pinned on the line of scrimmage. THEN, throw deep.

4. When man coverage is not working, try zone. Don't be "married" to onc type of coverage.

5. Everyone needs to relax. There is next Sunday.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    New Wr's (Taylor, Williamson)- and Robinson (Although we haven't seen him yet). Taylor is steppiong up and Williamson had some deep catches versus the Bengals, so this is again a positive. Nate appears to be injured, so Robinson becomes even more important.

When did he have big catches downfield. I recall one catch and that was for 20 yards and he ran for about 10 after the catch. Did I miss something?
    1st catch was the 2nd to last play of 3rd quarter - caught pass for 21 yards.

2nd catch was the opening catch of the TD drive - caught for 23 yards.

Caine

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

Re the Bengals game: why is it that when Joey Harrington throws 5 INTs, it just means the Bears defense is that good, but when Daunte does it, it shows that he is "degenerating" in his skills ? Just wodering about that. If Favre throws 4 picks, his "receivers didn't run under it", but noone says that about Daunte. I felt the first pick that Daunte threw vs. Tampa was clearly a case of the reciever not running his route. I think we have too many young, new players on the team, and that is screwing us up. The QB ALWAYS takes the bleme and glory. But it is not just about Daunte. On offense, I see a lot of guys who are not familiar with each other over 4 quarters of real NFL play (!).

On defense, it is the same. I also see no clear captain on defense. I think too many guys are expecting other guys to step up, but at some point, there will be a clear leader, like Cowart or Sharper.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"StillPurple" wrote:
    Re the Bengals game: why is it that when Joey Harrington throws 5 INTs, it just means the Bears defense is that good, but when Daunte does it, it shows that he is "degenerating" in his skills ? Just wodering about that. If Favre throws 4 picks, his "receivers didn't run under it", but noone says that about Daunte. I felt the first pick that Daunte threw vs. Tampa was clearly a case of the reciever not running his route. I think we have too many young, new players on the team, and that is screwing us up. The QB ALWAYS takes the bleme and glory. But it is not just about Daunte. On offense, I see a lot of guys who are not familiar with each other over 4 quarters of real NFL play (!).

On defense, it is the same. I also see no clear captain on defense. I think too many guys are expecting other guys to step up, but at some point, there will be a clear leader, like Cowart or Sharper.
    When Joey Harrington throws 5 picks, it's because Joey Harrington isn't that good of a QB...that's a given.

When Favre throws 4 picks, it's because the Packers are in the Play-Offs.

When Daunte throws 3 picks one week and 5 the next, PLUS fumbles twice, there's a serious problem in Minnesota.

Sure, there are contributing factors, but the bottom line is - and always has been - you threw/dropped the ball, you own the pick/fumble.

Our Defense was shell shocked last weekend. Bad play on one side of the ball does affect the other side. And we had bad play on BOTH sides of the ball.

I am hopeful that our Coaches have had an epiphany and have instituted the changes neccessary in our team to garner success (Yeah, I'm a die-hard sucker). I am frustrated by our play thus far, but then so is every other Viking fan, the players, coaches, and the owner. We CAN dig ourselves out of this hole...all it takes is a spark.

Caine

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345