Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveling_Vike View Post
    Competition I have no problem with. My one and only issue with this is that we spent a fifth to do it. I think that is a bit high to take a kicker unless he is truly outstanding, especially since we were so limited in the mid-rounds.
    It really depends on where they had him on the board. If the next guy was rated much worse, then a fifth round pick is not too much. Sixth or seventh is better, if he was still on the board, but one never knows.

Considering Ryan Allen was still on the board, it is hard to believe he was rated much worse. Allen is the a two time Ray Guy (the irony) award winner for best college punter. The only other two time Ray Guy award winner was Daniel Sepulveda who was drafted by the Steelers in the fourth round. Ryan Allen was undrafted and signed with the New England Patriots. The Pats got value there.

One thing about the stats that nobody ever mentions: they all depend greatly on WHERE THEY ARE KICKED FROM! You're going to put a lot more inside the 20 punting from your 45 than from your 25, no matter how good or bad your leg is. On the other hand, a real boomer likes to have space. Suffice it to say, these numbers. moreso than almost any other positional stat, depend on how well your offense did before you even hit the field.
    That is valid, but one would expect either good numbers in net or good numbers in punts inside the 20 if either extreme were the case. For an above average punter, from an average punting distance, one would expect both net and inside the 20 stats to be above average.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Are you sure? His average & net average really aren't much different than Locke's.
    I'm not sure why you keep trying to compare what Locke did at the collegiate level to what Kluwe did at the Pro level.

Apples and oranges. What really matters is how did he stack up against NFL kickers and how did that help or hurt the team.

This kid has proven (at the collegiate level) that he has a cannon for a leg, can hold and can give you another kid who can put it in the end zone on KOffs which could help save a bit of wear and tear on Blairs leg if required.

If it looks like he can improve the kicking game in any one area during the initial phases of camp, he will be gone, just the same way Shortwell did and it wasn't like ole Shortwell was out there spewing forth his drivel or anything like that.

Spin it how you want, Shortwell was jettisoned because Walsh improved the team. So will ole Kluweless if this kid takes to the NFL coaching like Blair did..... Nothing more, nothing less.

and.....without a vet there to mentor him. Just a few measly little coaches.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveling_Vike View Post
    Competition I have no problem with. My one and only issue with this is that we spent a fifth to do it. I think that is a bit high to take a kicker unless he is truly outstanding, especially since we were so limited in the mid-rounds.

One thing about the stats that nobody ever mentions: they all depend greatly on WHERE THEY ARE KICKED FROM! You're going to put a lot more inside the 20 punting from your 45 than from your 25, no matter how good or bad your leg is. On the other hand, a real boomer likes to have space. Suffice it to say, these numbers. moreso than almost any other positional stat, depend on how well your offense did before you even hit the field.
    I can see were you are coming from, however, statistically, I think that for the most part all teams have punters that kick from either short or long situations depending on the situation. It isn't like we left ole Kluweless in terrible situations every punt. To tell the truth, I anticipated a response like that and thats why I gave two years of stats. I should have included about 5 years.

My memory isn't as good as it once was, but I will tell you that it sure seemed to me that he shanked alot more last year than he has and that includes a few years back before we made the ST Coord shift. Several of which were just pooches to be inside the twenty.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    He has definitely had his game drop a few notches for sure.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567