Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Sixth round pick

Jeff Baca Draft Profile

Note he had the best shuttle time and the cone drill.

Prospect to be molded.

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snowinapril View Post
    Sixth round pick

Jeff Baca Draft Profile

Note he had the best shuttle time and the cone drill.

Prospect to be molded.
    Wow, I didn't catch that. He doesn't look that athletic, but that's a good sign. You sure though? You mean among ALL offensive linemen by the way?

Anyways, yes. Baca might be the next Sullivan or Matt Birk.

Quote Originally Posted by HEY View Post
    Wow, I didn't catch that. He doesn't look that athletic, but that's a good sign. You sure though? You mean among ALL offensive linemen by the way?

Anyways, yes. Baca might be the next Sullivan or Matt Birk.
    According to the link, the asterisk on the drill say combine "top performer" Maybe it means top ten, I don't see a definition.

I clicked on the drill and yes it is the best time for both for this years combine for all OL

Baca tied for the fastest shuttle time with Fisher, the top pick in the NFL Draft.

Not that this means a lot on either drill in relationship to how one will perform in the NFL.

I think the guy was over looked because of academics and the lack of playing time due to the ankle injury and ineligibility from the grades.

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    According to the link, the asterisk on the drill say combine "top performer" Maybe it means top ten, I don't see a definition.
    Ah... I see. Well, I checked it out and you were completely right. Baca had indeed the fastest time in both the 3 cone drill and 20 yard shuttle. Him and Eric Fisher had the best 20 yard shuttle and he dominated every offensive lineman at the 3 cone drill, even Lane Johnson. That's really impressive.

Jeff Baca Draft Profile

Hey, it doesn't look like he is a Center. I think he is a Guard.

Analysis
    Strengths
    As tenacious a blocker as there is in this draft class. Strong punch in pass pro, stuns tackles to knock them backwards and works to move the line, not just hold his ground. Quick to recognize blitzes. Re-directs blitzers out of the hole, keeps his feet moving to take them away from the play. Shows awareness in assisting teammates in pass protection. Gets after his run target, attacks with a venom. Hustles to help his tackle prevent inside rushes, at times just attacking the end without any need to. Stones twists inside. Good mobility to pull, gets around the line quickly and has the flexibility to adjust to inside defenders once through the hole. Fits on his second-level block well and engulfs the defender.
    Weaknesses
    Average height and size for an NFL offensive lineman. Stronger defenders can push him back with a power rush, and can use their superior strength to rip off blocks or control his upper body. Aggressiveness can backfire when overextending his punch, as he lacks great length to re-direct once he loses contact.
    NFL Comparison
    Daniel Kilgore
    Bottom Line
    Baca grew up going to UCLA football games with his late father, so it wasn’t a surprise when he chose to play for the Bruins as an all-state left tackle coming out of high school. Despite missing the 2010 season due to academic difficulties, Baca's managed to register 45 career starts. 25 of those starts have come at guard, and 20 have come at tackle. He's purely a guard in the pros, and his presenting the sort of nastiness and intelligence will earn him a mid- to late-round draft selection, by a team that's willing to let him build up his functional strength.
    Last edited by snowinapril; 04-27-2013 at 04:48 PM.

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    His off field activities has little to nothing to do with us selecting a punter. It bothered only a small minority of people. The NFL for the most part is encouraging people like Kluwe to speak their mind as it presents the NFL in a better light than idiots who say negative things about race or marriage.

Regardless, if his time in MN is coming to an end (and I hope it isn't), it has everything to do with his on field performance, and nothing to do with his off field.
    I could not agree more. Which is why this pick really threw me. Yeah, Kluwe had a down year, but he's not old and is likely, IMO, to rebound. Spending a 5th on a potential replacement for a serviceable or better punter just seems like a waste to me. You only keep one on the roster. So unless we can find a good trade for Kluwe, this was pointless.

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

Traveling_Vike is offline Coordinator
    Jeff Baca Draft Profile

Hey, it doesn't look like he is a Center. I think he is a Guard.
    Sounds pretty good to me, good depth at the least and may challenge to start.

I love that "average height and size" is considered a weakness. Others would call that prototypical.

My Meeple is purple. What color is yours?

To Nodak and Traveling Vike, I agree, it is not for his comments.

It is a head scratcher.

Totally speculating here but could commitments off the field, like his band be thought of as more important than the Vikings. Maybe they are sending him the message to work harder or be replaced. Just guessing on this one. We will see how they compete in practice.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast