Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Daunte offers to help free up FA money:

The way I look at it is this: If we keep Pepp, and he is unable to play say until mid season. This is going to infuriate Johnson to the point that he will tell the Vikings that I am the starter here, or trade me. If Gus Ferotte ends up being released as the rumor has it. Then I say get Gus back to be Johnson's backup until Daunte is healthy.

Then we have a open challenge for the starting spot. If BJ loses out he will want to leave, this will leave us with Gus, and Daunte as our two top QB's. If for some chance the Vikes are thinking about trading Pepp or releasing him, the time is now. We have a great shot at going after Brees, if we don't act on it now we may regret it. The thing is, no matter what direction the Vikes go at QB, they are taking a risk..

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Cajun, would anything be enough to sway you regarding Dante? :wink: Foregoing a year's salary really wouldn't help us either, as it would just give us temporary room in a salary cap that we aren't going to max out anyway.

Actually, what I'm worried about is the Minnesota fans accepting Dante as an elite QB again even if he does perform. Face it, even in his amazing 2004 season he had to deal with fans who criticized everything about his performance. He could come back this year, post a 130+ QB rating every game, have 45 TDs and 0 interceptions, and there will still be people on this site and elsewhere in Viking land saying, "yeah, but it was because of his receivers/o-line/running backs" or "I bet BJ still could have done better."

Off topic, but I think the same thing applies to Smoot. He started off well, but then has two bad games and an injury, and the fickle part of the fan base immediately decides that he is the sole reason we don't have a superbowl trophy (and of course, they never liked him in the first place). Anyone else remember the "Smoooooooot" calls in the dome during the early part of the season?

Here's to hoping that the Viking fans are as quick to celebrate as we are to criticize when the Vikings start rolling over opponents in 2006!
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    Cajun, would anything be enough to sway you regarding Dante? :wink: Foregoing a year's salary really wouldn't help us either, as it would just give us temporary room in a salary cap that we aren't going to max out anyway.

Actually, what I'm worried about is the Minnesota fans accepting Dante as an elite QB again even if he does perform. Face it, even in his amazing 2004 season he had to deal with fans who criticized everything about his performance. He could come back this year, post a 130+ QB rating every game, have 45 TDs and 0 interceptions, and there will still be people on this site and elsewhere in Viking land saying, "yeah, but it was because of his receivers/o-line/running backs" or "I bet BJ still could have done better."

Off topic, but I think the same thing applies to Smoot. He started off well, but then has two bad games and an injury, and the fickle part of the fan base immediately decides that he is the sole reason we don't have a superbowl trophy (and of course, they never liked him in the first place). Anyone else remember the "Smoooooooot" calls in the dome during the early part of the season?

Here's to hoping that the Viking fans are as quick to celebrate as we are to criticize when the Vikings start rolling over opponents in 2006!
    I am a Daunte fan, believe it or not...but he hasn't shown any leadership qualities since he got hurt. Staying away is not the mark of a leader...he needs to take the bull by the horns (or the Viking by the horns) and inequivocally state that he wants to make this team better....and then show it by being in Minnesota at least SOME of the time. Staying home in Florida and pouting about being hurt is BS...he needs to quit asking for a raise and get ready to play. Strike a deal that IF he comes back and performs at a high level, THEN the Vikes need to pony up BIG bucks! I would agree with that, BUT to ask for more money while he is still in rehab is SELFISH and NOT team oriented. IF he puts his mouth (and performance) where the money is, THEN he should be rewarded by the Vikings organization...OTHERWISE he needs to go somewhere else! It's that simple...I don't want MY TEAM to get screwed...I want them to win the Super Bowl...and carrying dead money (if Daunte never performs at his prior level) is NOT what will get us there!

He should park his contract demands until next season...by then, he will have proven what he can do...anything else is just smoke and mirrors!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"cajunvike" wrote:
    I am a Daunte fan, believe it or not...but he hasn't shown any leadership qualities since he got hurt. Staying away is not the mark of a leader...he needs to take the bull by the horns (or the Viking by the horns) and inequivocally state that he wants to make this team better....and then show it by being in Minnesota at least SOME of the time. Staying home in Florida and pouting about being hurt is BS...he needs to quit asking for a raise and get ready to play. Strike a deal that IF he comes back and performs at a high level, THEN the Vikes need to pony up BIG bucks! I would agree with that, BUT to ask for more money while he is still in rehab is SELFISH and NOT team oriented. IF he puts his mouth (and performance) where the money is, THEN he should be rewarded by the Vikings organization...OTHERWISE he needs to go somewhere else! It's that simple...I don't want MY TEAM to get screwed...I want them to win the Super Bowl...and carrying dead money (if Daunte never performs at his prior level) is NOT what will get us there!

He should park his contract demands until next season...by then, he will have proven what he can do...anything else is just smoke and mirrors!
    DC is not in Florida pouting as you call it. He is aggressively rehabing his knee & he likes his doctor down there.

Sugarman has been down there & checked him out & likes what he sees.

Childress was at the combine talking about it & he & Sugarman didn't have a problem with it.

So why should anyone else?

His only comment was he'd like to get him up here some time soon to continue rehabing his knee.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

I believe Childress' comment was more about him coming here to study the "system" with the coaches.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Del Rio Guest

"NodakPaul" wrote:

One amazing year is not enough to make up for many years of epic turnovers for many, myself included. I want to see him consistently produce, and get better. I don't care to see the 4000 passing yards and 30+ Td's if it doesn't get us deep into the playoffs, and he manages to follow up next year with a horrible performance.

What I want to see out of the guy QB'ing my favorite team is constant improvement. Consistency and good decision making. I think a lot of people feel the same way. So you are probably right if he comes out and is "Elite" whatever you deem that is........ then it may not be enough for some.

Very few QB's can be deemed Elite imo that haven't won shit. Daunte isn't going to hit those Elite numbers if he has a great year then a few so so ones. Dan Marino = Elite to the world, Daunte Culpepper = Elite to some Vikings fans that have purple tinted shades.

He has the ability and I want to see him use it, every game, every year. That is why I said last year if he can recover from his injury it may be the best thing that has happened to him. It may force him to become better at things he obviously lacks. He will need those things if he wants to prove he can play in the NFL without Moss. Frankly he has failed miserably at getting that point across thus far.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234