shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Daunte for MVP, from a Packer writer

Found this on Packernews.com:

"Culpepper for MVP

I’m sure I’m in the minority on this, but I’d have to consider taking Daunte Culpepper over Peyton Manning if given the choice at this point.

Both were impressive against the Packers this season and might be the two leading candidates for the NFL’s MVP, though that award usually goes to a player on a team with the best record.

But while acknowledging Manning’s mastery of his position and staggering numbers this year (122.7 passer rating, 31 touchdown passes and only six interceptions), Culpepper’s play against the Packers without Randy Moss was eye-catching, and his extra dimension just might make him more dangerous than Manning, who benefits from the best set of offensive weapons in the NFL.

At 6-foot-4 and 264 pounds, Culpepper runs as fast as a Pro Bowl linebacker. Though Manning threw a touchdown pass outside the pocket on Sunday, that’s a rarity for him, because he’s a pure pocket passer who can’t dream of making some of the plays Culpepper makes.

Culpepper has his faults; those fumbles are killers. But at 27, he has matured into an elite player who regularly turns a sure sack into a big completion downfield, or busts outside the pocket and puts the ball on the money while on the run. He’s a huge problem the Packers are going to have to deal with for years to come.

— Pete Dougherty, PackersNews.com"

Thoughts?
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

I am not surprised. I think most packer fans that don't have cheese in their eyes and ears know that the Ref's handed them the game. If even half of the pass interference calls had been made we would have had two more touchdowns than we did. Never mind the fumble at the end of the game.

WWBGD

CanuckVike is offline Starter

Boy talk about timing! I was just thinking of starting a thread about the fact that Culpepper has really played with maturity and probably better than any other QB this year, given the circumstances he's been in. Other than the Giant game, he's been incredible all year. Although pass protection has been ok, Daunte clearly has not had the type of protection that McNabb, Peyton, Brady or Rothlesburger have had and certainly haven't had much of any support by the Defense, other than in the Titan game. And the fumble-litis that he had seems to be (knock on wood) a fading memory. He's proven to me that he's ready to go to the playoffs and beyond...too bad the rest of the team (special teams, coaching, defense)...isn't yet.
    8ed0c24a99f7e44be7931aa4afb7bd88

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Good find Shock!

I still think Daunte can get it. He has to come on strong to get everyones attention again. All eyes are on The MANning right now.

It would have been nice for DC to get one come from behind victory under his belt the last 2 weeks, it would have been a plus for him.

GBMiah is offline Rookie

I agree, Culpepper is definitely in the running this year for the award. But its still anybodys to win. Manning probably is the frontrunner however. As far as the fumble thats been rehashed, I know I've duked it out on this topic many times here in the last few days but I will echo one of my original statements: Yes, The fumble looked to be initially recovered by Ross' But for the millionth time, its doesnt really matter because the refs have to go by who has it when the pile is cleared. Those plays arent reviewable so that entire sequence was within the rule of play. And dont try to tell me they should have seen Ross right away get it, because thats nearly impossible. I know, I've done some ref'ing before and have seen very similiar situations.

Sorry to digress from the topic at hand. But yes, Culpepper definitely was the man late in the game. How many HUGE 3rd and longs did he convert? talk about mr clutch.
    Inhale it. Savor it. Drink with your eyes and taste with every fiber of your flesh, revelations come through experience.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

I love what Daunte has done, but you really can't take away the MVP from Manning (right now at least). Culpepper is playing great, but Manning is unbelieveable!! There's still 7 games though!! I guess we'll see what happens!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

They were giving him props on ESPN today.

He is doing more with less. He has to win from here on out.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

I agree Daunte cannot ever be MVP unless he WINS games, not just makes them close.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.