Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Re: february 2nd pti

The way I see it, He did the same thing to his knee that Terrell Davis did about 4 years ago. After which he did nothing and eventually retired while still early in his career. Culpepper is NOT going to be the same QB he was when he comes back. He won't be able to scramble like he did. He will be forced to become a pocket passer, which in time could limit, and Cripple our offense. I have heard some rumors about a possible trade to Miami for Ricky Williams.....if this is true, it could be a good thing.....We need a power running back, and when healthy and drug free, he is an amazing running back.
    Through Wind, Snow, Sleet, or Rain, all will feel the purple pain!

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Daunte is in Minneapolis

"Del Rio" wrote:
    He isn't in Minnesota
    It isn't necessary for DC to be in MN unless the coaches have asked him to be. The computer does wonders for conducting business and the phone. He can't do anything physical yet anyway. Has he spent the offseason in MN before.

"Del Rio" wrote:
    He has tried to restructure his contract, that is a fact.
    You don't get anything without asking. It is a good way to get a feel for what the new coach and the (semi) new owner have in mind. It is a good way to gauge if they will let you sit on your ass all offseason or expect you to compete for your job.

"Del Rio" wrote:
    It never said he was here Tuesday to restructure his contract.
    Could he have been here for, court matters, maybe talking to a lawyer. Maybe he just came to meet with Childress and talk about things, like offense. Who knows besides them?

"singersp post on page 4" wrote:
    Wilf said it was his understanding that Culpepper did not make his visit here to increase his guaranteed contract of $8 million, including $6 million for reporting in March.

"[Culpepper] just wanted clarification," Wilf said. "He wanted clarification of what his role is and where he stands. We tell him he is a franchise quarterback, and we're hoping he's able to come back quick enough to be able to be with us this season. We're hoping that the recovery works out well, that's all."

Previously there had been a lack of communication between Culpepper and Childress when Culpepper came to the Twin Cities. Instead of meeting Childress, Culpepper called him on the telephone.

Was Tuesday's meeting successful?

"Quite honestly, we're hopeful we can move on," Wilf said. "One thing I've learned, I'm leaving this thing up between the coaches and the players. I'm not getting involved."

What is Culpepper's future with the Vikings?

"I don't know. It's hard to say," Wilf said. "All I know is that we [Wilf and Childress] want to make sure that he's able to play healthy for our team and take us where we want to go.

"You know, a guy goes through an injury, I can't tell you what goes through his mind, but what I can say is that we're working to make sure he can come back and be happy, that's all. We're trying our best."

http://www.startribune.com/507/story/220556.html
    ESPNews just had a blurb on the fact that Wilf said, DC is the Franchise guy. Sounds like they are clearifying the news line on PTI and other ESPN shows that basically left that question mark about what Wilf said.

"MOSSISBOSS88" wrote:
    The way I see it, He did the same thing to his knee that Terrell Davis did about 4 years ago. After which he did nothing and eventually retired while still early in his career. Culpepper is NOT going to be the same QB he was when he comes back. He won't be able to scramble like he did. He will be forced to become a pocket passer, which in time could limit, and Cripple our offense.
    A QB make his living with his arm, not necessarily his legs. A RB has to use his legs and he has to use his legs to blow people over at times. He really takes a beating. Plus, if he can't outrun anyone, as a RB, he is useless. If a RB can't make cuts he is out of business. If DC can stand and throw accurately, I think he can still play. There have been many slow QBs in the NFL, yes quickness is an asset but it doesn't mean you can't be a QB if don't have it. DC is going to have to evolve and that is a good thing. He has enough talent to compensate, assuming his rehab goes as planned. If he was to get injured again, it might be a different story. As long as he doens't fear further injury, he will be just fine.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

There is an excellent article quoting Cris Carter in another thread that helps paint a clearer picture from Cris's perspective;

http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=308813#3088 13

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

From Viking Update

[size=18px]When Pepp Met Zygi, Part II [/size]

Date: Feb 2, 2006

Daunte Culpepper was back in town this week meeting with Zygi Wilf and Brad Childress. What were his motives? Zygi isn't saying.

This offseason has been one of turmoil for Daunte Culpepper. After sustaining a devastating knee injury, Culpepper was almost never seen on the sidelines of Vikings games or at Winter Park. He's been spending almost all of his time in Florida and, after making a grandstand request to personally meet with all of the team's ownership members last month, was disappointed when only capolologist Rob Brzezinski showed up -- and promptly said "no" to his request to re-work his contract.

In the process, some have come to question Culpepper's leadership skills. For outward appearances, he has given the impression that he's out merely for his own good -- firing his agent, not showing a willingness to rehab a very serious knee injury with the team's medical staff and declining to meet face to face with Childress on his previous visit to Winter Park. Did that change this week? As usual, the Vikings aren't talking.

Zygi Wilf was quoted in a Twin Cities newspaper column as saying of the potential rift between Culpepper and Childress, "I'm leaving this thing (up to) the coaches and the players. I'm not getting involved."

While that realistically may not be the best strategy, it's part of Wilf's Triangle of Authority that leaves the decisions of the day-to-day operation to be delegated. It is believed that Culpepper's visit was to gauge his role with the team. As expected, he was told he was the franchise QB and is hoped to be ready for the start of the 2006 season.

There is still the possibility that a trade could be in the offing for Culpepper, but with his value to the team and the likely lack of suitors willing to give up much in return, that remains a questionable proposition. In short, don't throw out those Culpepper jerseys. You'll likely need them in October when he's back quarterbacking the Vikings.

http://vikings.scout.com/2/496192.html

Jkurtkrauss is offline Rookie

"A QB make his living with his arm, not necessarily his legs."

True............but a run threat was what made CP better than the average pocket passer. With no run threat or the ability to slough of defensive ends like annoying flies, he becomes very average. If the O-line doesn't improve over last year, we better have a mobile QB.

I all comes down to his ability to come back from the injury.
    Spread my ashes at the H^3

"Jkurtkrauss" wrote:
    "A QB make his living with his arm, not necessarily his legs."

True............but a run threat was what made CP better than the average pocket passer. With no run threat or the ability to slough of defensive ends like annoying flies, he becomes very average. If the O-line doesn't improve over last year, we better have a mobile QB.

I all comes down to his ability to come back from the injury.
    People are already determining that Pep will not be able to run.

The fact of the matter is, we don't know if he can or cannot & we will not know until he comes back.

The intrest by other teams in him shows that they believe he can & will.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789