singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Darrell Bevell: The Communicator

[size=13pt]Darrell Bevell: The Communicator[/size]

Last update: September 07, 2006 – 5:54 PM

There is no mistaking the fact that Brad Childress is running the offensive show for the Vikings. The first-year head coach will call the plays and spent much of the offseason and training camp installing the West Coast scheme.
    All of this means Darrell Bevell is really more of an assistant to the offensive coordinator than anything. But Bevell still will play an important role on game days.

Stationed in the coaches' booth, Bevell will be in communication with Childress. Childress served in the same type of role as the offensive coordinator in Philadelphia; head coach Andy Reid called the plays for the Eagles.

"I think it has worked out well," Bevell said of his in-game role. "Brad calling the plays and obviously talking between every series about what we're getting, where we want to go, what we want to attack and having a good dialogue doing that. At halftime it's the same thing. Giving him suggestions and trying to get those plays into the game."

Bevell, 36, said he might communicate with Childress briefly during a series, but the majority of the dialogue comes afterward.

The son of a high school football coach, Bevell was the starting quarterback for four seasons at Wisconsin, winning the 1994 Rose Bowl. Childress was an offensive assistant on the Badgers staff. Bevell spent four seasons coaching at the collegiate level, beginning in 1996, before joining the Green Bay staff in 2000.

He spent the past three seasons as the Packers quarterbacks coach.

"I've felt comfortable," Bevell said of his new role. "It's a lot of work and there are so many things beforehand that you didn't even think of what the job entails. You just worried about your little position. Now there is a lot more to it. But it has been fun and, honestly, I've learned a ton in the short time I've been doing it."

JUDD ZULGAD

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Darrell Bevell: The Communicator

It appears that he is qualified for the position, but being successful in the College ranks, and being successful in the NFL are two very different things.. I hope all goes well for him, and he turns out to be a great OC for many years to come..

vikingbill50 is offline Starter

i think bevell will do a great job and yes i agree that college and the nfl is entirely different but from what i read, bevell's entire life has been based on the offense side of the ball and being a quarterback himself, he knows what has to be done, it will be a great combination of bevell in the booth with childress down below communicating with each other on what will work for us...i can see both bevell and tomlin moving up in the nfl for head coaching jobs in the future..but not too soon...
    I BLEED THE COLOR PURPLE

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    It appears that he is qualified for the position, but being successful in the College ranks, and being successful in the NFL are two very different things.. I hope all goes well for him, and he turns out to be a great OC for many years to come..
    He didn't come from the college ranks, he was the QB coach for the Green Bay Packers & Brett Favre.

That's the only thing that bothers me. Does being a QB coach for Brett Favre mean he will be a good offensive coordinator for an entire offense?

Last time I checked, a QB coach doesn't call offensive plays. This is where Childress' input will be critical

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

I think Bevell will be fine and this gives him the opportunity to move on in his coaching career.....

One thing I would think, a QB's coach whould have a much more vast amount of knowledge on how an Offense tics, compaired to a Line Coach or TE's Coach ECT....

The QB has to have knowledge on what the WHOLE OFFENSE IS DOING, has to know each and every players assignment on any given play.....

So I would say Bevell is in a very good position to move into this next level of coaching...Seeing he was a QB coach previouse to this new job, and coming from coaching with a team such as the Pack and having to work with a QB of Brets knowledge, we should be getting one of the better QB coaches in the league...

I think with Bevell and Childress working together, we will have a very solid O to watch this season....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

what i meant to say was that being a starting quarterback for 4 years and winning a rose bowl, then he was part of coaching in college for 4 more year before going to green bay as a quarterabcks coach, his knowledge of offense is really good and then you put that with childress, it is a great combination for us..
    I BLEED THE COLOR PURPLE

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

"VikingNed" wrote:
    I think Bevell will be fine and this gives him the opportunity to move on in his coaching career.....

One thing I would think, a QB's coach whould have a much more vast amount of knowledge on how an Offense tics, compaired to a Line Coach or TE's Coach ECT....

The QB has to have knowledge on what the WHOLE OFFENSE IS DOING, has to know each and every players assignment on any given play.....

So I would say Bevell is in a very good position to move into this next level of coaching...Seeing he was a QB coach previouse to this new job, and coming from coaching with a team such as the Pack and having to work with a QB of Brets knowledge, we should be getting one of the better QB coaches in the league...

I think with Bevell and Childress working together, we will have a very solid O to watch this season....

Well put Ned, I too think Childress and Bevell will get the job done.Your right on about the QB being the "Leader" if you will, of the team.He HAS to know everything that is going on from the WRs to the RB.Football isnt hard to play, but its even tougher to master.I think both of these guys have great football minds.They understand that the little things win the big games.

I CANT wait till Monday!

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:
    "VikingNed" wrote:

Well put Ned, I too think Childress and Bevell will get the job done.Your right on about the QB being the "Leader" if you will, of the team.He HAS to know everything that is going on from the WRs to the RB.Football isnt hard to play, but its even tougher to master.I think both of these guys have great football minds.They understand that the little things win the big games.

I CANT wait till Monday!

I should also mention this, Childress and Bevell now have the opportunity to work with One of the SMARTEST QB's in the league if you ask me....Our very own, Brad Johnson....Hell, Johnson might very well even open Childresses and Bevells eyes to a thing or two himself... ;D

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

that is almost a guarantee that brad will do that..with brad's experience i am sure they have listened to him already on some things and more to come...
    I BLEED THE COLOR PURPLE