Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    jdvike is offline Hall of Famer

Re: A damper on Vikings stadium plan

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "jdvike" wrote:
    I haven't kissed them goodbye....I merely stated that if he does go,I'll follow.

The Brown and the Colts leases weren't up and how did that go?...oh yeah they moved out in the dark of the night.

So if Wilf wants out of this lease he will get out....he could even buy out the lease.

I have had this discussion before on both sides...Nobody wants them to stay more than myself.

The club as it is now with the dome, and its lease, does not generate enough income to stay competitive.....is this a B.S. story?....I can't say for sure, and neither can you, as long as we can't see the numbers in black and white and to hear the big wigs tell the story ....RED.

I'm not wishing them gone I just have faced the facts.....If Wilf doesn't get his stadium or some promise of such he will be gone in less than 5 years....everybody keeps throwing out the number 2011, but thats not too far away, and a stadium even with approval takes 4-5 years to build.....that doesn't leave us much time to get it done does it?
    There have been rumors about the Vikings leaving for a decade now. Sometimes they have been closer to leaving than others. IMHO, this is not one of those times. Red McCheap dangled that carrot in front of the legislature his entire tenure as owner, and it didn't work. Zygi is taking a radically different approach, and has made more ground in one year than anybody else did in 10. Yes, the 2011 lease termination date is looming, but for the first time in a long, long time I am actually no worried about it. I have faith that Zygi will get it done.
    You are right and I may have overreacted ....when I saw this article about another roadblock...I lost my cool.

It seems to me that Wilf is doing all he can to get a stadium built,and if Minnesota doesn't build it for him....then nobody can blame him for leaving.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"jdvike" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "jdvike" wrote:
    I haven't kissed them goodbye....I merely stated that if he does go,I'll follow.

The Brown and the Colts leases weren't up and how did that go?...oh yeah they moved out in the dark of the night.

So if Wilf wants out of this lease he will get out....he could even buy out the lease.

I have had this discussion before on both sides...Nobody wants them to stay more than myself.

The club as it is now with the dome, and its lease, does not generate enough income to stay competitive.....is this a B.S. story?....I can't say for sure, and neither can you, as long as we can't see the numbers in black and white and to hear the big wigs tell the story ....RED.

I'm not wishing them gone I just have faced the facts.....If Wilf doesn't get his stadium or some promise of such he will be gone in less than 5 years....everybody keeps throwing out the number 2011, but thats not too far away, and a stadium even with approval takes 4-5 years to build.....that doesn't leave us much time to get it done does it?
    There have been rumors about the Vikings leaving for a decade now. Sometimes they have been closer to leaving than others. IMHO, this is not one of those times. Red McCheap dangled that carrot in front of the legislature his entire tenure as owner, and it didn't work. Zygi is taking a radically different approach, and has made more ground in one year than anybody else did in 10. Yes, the 2011 lease termination date is looming, but for the first time in a long, long time I am actually no worried about it. I have faith that Zygi will get it done.
    You are right and I may have overacted....when I saw this article about another roadblock...I lost my cool.

It seems to me that Wilf is doing all he can to get a stadium built,and if Minnesota doesn't build it for him....then nobody can blame him for leaving.
    No worries - we all want our beloved Vikes to get what they need.

In this article, however, the villain isn't Minnesota - it's the Army Corps of Engineers. That's when it's time to write to Norm Coleman and Mark Dayton and get them to jump on that bunch.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

"jdvike" wrote:

The Colts moved in the dark of the night, the Browns did not. The Browns moved with the full agreement of the NFL and Cleveland, once the deal was brokered to leave the Browns name and franchise records in place until the expansion team could be started in '99.

And I don't recall there being any leases in place which were broken by either of those two teams - if you have a source to site, I'd love to read it and get some more knowledge of the history.

=Z=

"AWZeus" wrote:
    "jdvike" wrote:

The Colts moved in the dark of the night, the Browns did not. The Browns moved with the full agreement of the NFL and Cleveland, once the deal was brokered to leave the Browns name and franchise records in place until the expansion team could be started in '99.

And I don't recall there being any leases in place which were broken by either of those two teams - if you have a source to site, I'd love to read it and get some more knowledge of the history.

=Z=
    Here's something about the lease in the Wikipedia article on Art Modell:

"The reaction in Cleveland was, not surprisingly, very hostile. Modell had promised numerous times never to move the team. The Brooklyn native mentioned numerous times how saddened and betrayed he and other Brooklynites had felt when the Dodgers moved to Los Angeles. In fact, he had loudly criticized the Colts' move in 1983, as well as the Oakland Raiders' move to Los Angeles a year earlier. The City of Cleveland sued Modell, the Browns, and Stadium Corp for breach of the Browns' lease, which required the Browns to exclusively use Cleveland Stadium for their home games for several seasons after 1995. Surprisingly for Modell, many Baltimore fans sympathized with Clevelanders' outrage. Baltimore was still smarting from Colts owner Robert Irsay's behavior in the run-up to the Colts' move a decade earlier, culminating in the team being literally sneaked out of town in the middle of the night in the fall of 1984. Many people in Baltimore felt that Irsay stole Baltimore's football history as well and didn't think it was fair for them to steal Cleveland's history in the circumstances."

=Z=

jdvike is offline Hall of Famer

Thanks for the history lesson Z ...I was going on my own recollection of the subject and I guess that aint what It used to be...guess I'm getting old :wink:

WBLVikeBabe is offline Jersey Retired

Wow, I don't even want to think about the Vikings leaving. I just hope the stadium deal works out in the end whether it's in Blaine or somewhere else. But it would be nice if it was in Blaine because I'm moving there in less than two weeks!

[move]My beautiful sig made by the one and only PPE![/move]

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

"jdvike" wrote:
    Thanks for the history lesson Z ...I was going on my own recollection of the subject and I guess that aint what It used to be...guess I'm getting old :wink:
    I keep getting older and the girls all stay the same age.

=Z=

"WBLVikeBabe" wrote:
    Wow, I don't even want to think about the Vikings leaving. I just hope the stadium deal works out in the end whether it's in Blaine or somewhere else. But it would be nice if it was in Blaine because I'm moving there in less than two weeks!
    Will you then be BlaineVikeBabe?

Or how about BluEyedVikeBabe, which then gets you away from that whole geography nonsense.

=Z=

WBLVikeBabe is offline Jersey Retired

"AWZeus" wrote:
    "WBLVikeBabe" wrote:
    Will you then be BlaineVikeBabe?

Or how about BluEyedVikeBabe, which then gets you away from that whole geography nonsense.

=Z=
    No way I'll always be WBLVikeBabe, even though I won't be living in WBL anymore, I still couldn't ever change it. Plus if I get a teaching job here, technically I'll still be a part of the WBL community!

[move]My beautiful sig made by the one and only PPE![/move]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast