Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Daily Norseman Interview With Brad Johnson

The Daily Norseman Interview With Brad Johnson

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2011/8/20/2374397/the-daily-norseman-interview-with-brad-johnson

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Re: Daily Norseman Interview With Brad Johnson

....did Childress limit what you wanted to do with his "Kick Ass Offense"?

[After the interview was over, Brad asked me if someone from the current coaching staff had told me to ask him that question. I thought that was rather telling. After I calmly replied that my fellow DN writers and I were simply curious as fans, he then gave me a much more personal, honest answer. Being the classy guy that he is, Johnson asked me not to share it here, but it shouldn't be too hard to read between the lines.]
    Is there anyone here who can't read between the lines?

He limited all of his QB's & tried to do it with Favre. It didn't go over well with Favre. Childress, IMO, is the main reasons he was reluctant to come back in 2010.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1105231

[After the interview was over, Brad asked me if someone from the current coaching staff had told me to ask him that question. I thought that was rather telling. After I calmly replied that my fellow DN writers and I were simply curious as fans, he then gave me a much more personal, honest answer. Being the classy guy that he is, Johnson asked me not to share it here, but it shouldn't be too hard to read between the lines.]

He limited all of his QB's & tried to do it with Favre. It didn't go over well with Favre. Childress, IMO, is the main reasons he was reluctant to come back in 2010.
    Couldn't agree more. That was said way back in the start of '10.

Caine

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

That was the Captain Obvious post of the year lol.

Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1105272
    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1105231

Couldn't agree more. That was said way back in the start of '10.

Caine
    I said it in 2010, 2009, 2008 & 2007. We knew it in 2006 when Childress forbid Johnson to call any audibles. We heard about it again in 2008 when Frerotte said in a November interview that he only audibled twice. We saw it publicly backfire on Childress in 2009 with Favre & Childress' "heated discussion".

I wasn't a big proponent of bringing Favre here in 2009, but one thing I was sure of, Favre knows a hell of a lot more about running an offense than Childress ever will.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1105306
    We knew it in 2006 when Childress forbid Johnson to call any audibles.
    You're actually a bit off with that my friend.

He allowed Brad to audible. What he did do was stop him from doing it when Brad kept audibling out of plays that required him to throw the ball further than 10 yards.

I think a point that keeps getting lost in all of this "Audible" discussion is that for the WCO to be successfull, much like a chess match, it has to set the defense up.

HC's/Ocoords have a gameplan to do that. When a QB refuses to follow that game plan then the winner of the chess match will often be the defense.

As to why the Noodle was allowed to audible in 2009 but then wasn't in 2010, to me, atleast, was pretty obvious.

In 2009 the Noodle for he most part played within the scheme and the W/L's reflected it.

In 2010, well, lets just say that a QB who wants to hold the ball to long and chuck it deep all the time, just isn't gonna win any chess matches my friends.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

For a second there I thought the guy in the picture (facing camera) was Johnson. Thought to myself, "Wow, he's really let himself go". A slight resemblance though eh?

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1105403

He allowed Brad to audible. What he did do was stop him from doing it when Brad kept audibling out of plays that required him to throw the ball further than 10 yards.

I think a point that keeps getting lost in all of this "Audible" discussion is that for the WCO to be successfull, much like a chess match, it has to set the defense up.

HC's/Ocoords have a gameplan to do that. When a QB refuses to follow that game plan then the winner of the chess match will often be the defense.

As to why the Noodle was allowed to audible in 2009 but then wasn't in 2010, to me, atleast, was pretty obvious.

In 2009 the Noodle for he most part played within the scheme and the W/L's reflected it.

In 2010, well, lets just say that a QB who wants to hold the ball to long and chuck it deep all the time, just isn't gonna win any chess matches my friends.
    link?

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1105455

link?
    To what? As recently as last week I posted articles that said he held the ball to long.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Favre wasn't allowed to audible freely like you're suggesting. Favre just did it because that's what Favre does. That is what the heated debate was on the sidelines in 2009.

Had Favre listened to Childress & run plays exactly as scripted, the Vikings wouldn't have even sniffed the playoffs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast