Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re:Daily Mailbag: Harvin as a RB?

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    vike_mike wrote:
    I say if it isn't broke, then don't fix it. Use him exactly how we used him last year. Nothing should change. Not understanding all of the worry about our RB situation. We are playing things the smart right now. This is the perfect situation to be patient and weigh options. The draft is the best way to go for us.
    You do realize he lined up as a RB last year right?
    Michael Bennett, Reggie Bush, Darren McFadden.... just three examples of guys who played RB successfully in college, had a similar build/skillset as Harvin. None have been very successful as a full-time back.

Not to mention, Harvin spent a good amount of time in a spread option set, not really taking handoffs in the traditional RB manner. When he was in the backfield last year, it wasn't in the I or singleback, it was usually in the shotgun, or some variation.

I'm all for having harvin line up at RB in certain sets, causing mismatches and whatnot, but IMO having him as our #2 guy is not a good idea.
    No one, again, no one is saying we want to move him to the #2 position.....

We are only talking about, atleast initially, about putting him back there for a few reps.
    There was a thread about that same concept. In fact, its this one.

I might direct youto the link YOU provided

Tim of Stoughton, Wis., gets credit for a question many of asked after tailback Chester Taylor jumped from Minnesota to Chicago:

Would the Vikings ever consider Percy Harvin as [Adrian] Petersonís backup? RB is his natural position and he would get more touches per game.
    I said we are talking, not the writer is talking.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    vike_mike wrote:
    I say if it isn't broke, then don't fix it. Use him exactly how we used him last year. Nothing should change. Not understanding all of the worry about our RB situation. We are playing things the smart right now. This is the perfect situation to be patient and weigh options. The draft is the best way to go for us.
    Michael Bennett, Reggie Bush, Darren McFadden.... just three examples of guys who played RB successfully in college, had a similar build/skillset as Harvin. None have been very successful as a full-time back.

Not to mention, Harvin spent a good amount of time in a spread option set, not really taking handoffs in the traditional RB manner. When he was in the backfield last year, it wasn't in the I or singleback, it was usually in the shotgun, or some variation.

I'm all for having harvin line up at RB in certain sets, causing mismatches and whatnot, but IMO having him as our #2 guy is not a good idea.

We are only talking about, atleast initially, about putting him back there for a few reps.

Tim of Stoughton, Wis., gets credit for a question many of asked after tailback Chester Taylor jumped from Minnesota to Chicago:

Would the Vikings ever consider Percy Harvin as [Adrian] Petersonís backup? RB is his natural position and he would get more touches per game.
    nope, you said no one is talking :P but I'll let that go

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    vike_mike wrote:

Well played. But you did see that my opening statement was I disagree'd with the author right?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Blog Entries

Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    vike_mike wrote:

Well played. But you did see that my opening statement was I disagree'd with the author right?
    bah.. that was pages ago. Its like when C Mac thought Favre would be a good addition. We can't bring that up anymore.

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    bah.. that was pages ago. Its like when C Mac thought Favre would be a good addition. We can't bring that up anymore.
    Good enough. Just you and me (typical) again anyway. :cheer:

Blog Entries

Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    mindless blabbering is the best kind!

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    mindless blabbering is the best kind!
    Passes the day my friend, passes the day. Gotta admit, I have been busy at work this week.

Cutting down on my PPO time.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Mr Anderson wrote:
    Purple Floyd wrote:
    midgensa wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:
    Tad7 wrote:
    midgensa wrote:
    Tad7 wrote:
    DiehardVikesFan wrote:
    Tad7 wrote:
    Harvin needs to put on 15 pounds at least if he's gonna spend a significant amount of time in the back field.
    he's already had ankle problems in the past, 15 pounds won't help that.
    yeah I personally don't want Harvin's role to change much from last year, if at all.

I was just saying if he's supposed to be the new Chester Taylor, blocking on 3rd down and stuff, 185 pounds isn't gonna cut it.
    There is a big difference in 185 and 192 ... so since he is actually 192 ... Google again ... then do you actually only want 8 pounds?
    Look man, I can't do much about NFL.com and ESPN being inaccurate. http://www.nfl.com/players/percyharvin/profile?id=HAR829482
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=12569

To me, he does look smaller than the other guys you mentioned. If I'm wrong about what Harvin can and can't do if he gets the role, so be it. We'll see.
    That may have something to do with him being smaller than the rest of them.

At 5'11" 185, he was 192 at the combine, but smaller guys try to come in heavier. I'm going with the 185 measurement, considering it says that on NFL.com, which has him 1 pound heavier than the Vikings official site.

He's taller than Jamaal Charles, who is 5'9, and the same height as Johnson.

Chris Johnson weighs 200 pounds.
    Jamaal Charles weighs 199 pounds.

Take some other small guys for example:
    Maurice Jones-Drew: He's a thick 208 at 5'7.
    Darren Sproles: 185, Harvin's weight, at 5'6.
    Leon Washington: 195 at 5'8.

He's a great athlete, and a tough kid. But built like an NFL running back he is not. He's got the balance, power, and speed to take some snaps, but he can't take 100 handoffs and be a slot receiver. I'd say 25-30 rushing attempts per year. I don't think anyone in this thread realistically expects him to take over for Taylor, just to line up in the backfield once in a while, take a few snaps, or a few handoffs... not to be our #2 running back.
    My point was that all of these guys are pretty close in size. Hell ... Johnson was listed at 195 coming into the season ... so a whole three pounds different. You can't go by Johnson's NFL.com weight and then shrug off Harvin's ... that is awfully convenient.

And they are all similar in height and weight and definitely not 15 pounds off.

I would agree that he can't take 100 handoffs and be a slot receiver.

Hell ... I don't even really think that he should be in the backfield at all except for specialty situations like this season.

But to act like he is so small compared to all the other running backs in the league is not accurate. He is almost identical to Chris Johnson's size as a rookie, and almost identical with Jamaal Charles.
    You could also throw out there that Darrin Nelson tipped the scales at 5'9 and 184 and he seemed to be able to handle the position.
    Didn't he only play a few full seasons? And he never got that many carries.

Of course, I could be wrong, I just remember looking up his numbers a few years back and not being impressed.
    Well,

He had over 11,000 all purpose yards in his career and played for about 11 seasons, so I don't think it is anything to sneeze at. I never liked him as a player because he actually probably had over 50,000 yards rushing if you count the lateral yards if you know what I mean. But he was no bigger than Harvin and he did have a fairly long career. Especially when you factor in the fact he played on the dome turf,which has not been kind to RB's knees,especially in the early metro turf days.

Oh yeah, one more thing to piss me off. We took him over Marcus Allen. DUH to the front office on that one.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456