Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

da Bears Seem Confident...

This is from their website. They want to control the clock, but are also very confident they can throw on us:

Bears in a rush to control game, clock
    By Larry Mayer
    September 24, 2004

LAKE FOREST, Ill. - Daunte Culpepper and Randy Moss won't be able to exploit an injury-depleted Chicago secondary if they're watching Sunday's game from the sideline.

Thomas Jones ranks second in the NFC in rushing with 219 yards on 44 carries.
    Given that indisputable fact, it's logical to assume that the Bears will try to establish their ground game against the Minnesota Vikings at the Metrodome.

Thomas Jones ran wild in last weekend's stunning upset win at Green Bay, gaining 152 yards and 1 TD on 23 carries. Buoyed by the addition of free agent linemen John Tait and Ruben Brown, the Bears rank fifth in the NFL in rushing with an average of 155.3 yards per game.

"I think it's been proven we have a good offensive line and a good running back," said quarterback Rex Grossman. "We're going to use that to our benefit whether it's controlling the clock or some play-action fakes and nice running plays as well.

"Offensively, we're feeling pretty good about ourselves. As long as you have a good running game, at least you know you're going to be able to move the ball and we're going to be able to throw the ball against these guys pretty well too because our passing game is coming around. I feel pretty confident where we are right now."

Offensive coordinator Terry Shea places a high premium on first-down production, and the Bears didn't disappoint in that area against the Packers. Grossman completed 6 of 7 passes for 59 yards and a TD and Jones rushed for 85 yards on 16 carries on first down plays.

The key to sustaining drives is to stay out of third-and-long situations, and Shea understands that with Bears defensive backs Mike Brown, Charles Tillman and Jerry Azumah all sidelined with injuries, it's more important than ever to control the ball.

"It puts more emphasis on getting first downs," Shea said. "If we don't get first downs, we're off the field. I don't care how we slice it up-if we run the ball and don't get a first down or if we pass the football. It's going to come down to that.

"Whether we run or pass, we've got to get some first downs. That's a huge factor going into this game; trying to make sure our defense doesn't have to play longer than they should have to."

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

The stats they post make them look good, but if you do the math, Jones only gained 67 yards on 21 carries against the Lions. Ive said we need to come with our A game against the Bears, and if we do - it wont be close.

Sig Created by MinnesotaFury

hovan is offline Star Spokesman

Re: da Bears Seem Confident...

"SKOL" wrote:
    Daunte Culpepper and Randy Moss won't be able to exploit an injury-depleted Chicago secondary if they're watching Sunday's game from the sideline.
    "

VERY TRUE!!!

If this wern't the case ...the Vikings would go 16-0 every season :cheers:
    Lombardis DEAD,
    Favrays OLD, the Packers SUCK,
    DEAL WITH IT!!!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

This story just proves my point on another thread that keeping the ball away from the other team's O is just another form of playing D. While the Vikes have quick-strike capabilities, they also have the huge O-line to move people and open holes for our stable of RBs. Those who complain about Haayer's pass blocking might be happier to see him blocking on more running plays where he can take it to the DLs instead of the other way around. And what better way to build up the restructured O-line's confidence than to march down the field and run the ball up the gut. I guarantee that OLs love to take it to the opposing DLs as many times as they can. Let the OLs have some fun and beat up on Chicago's DLs. We will have plenty of time to throw once those DLs are maimed and pounded into the turf.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

vikingsalltheway is offline Coordinator

Were better than GB and that means we will and i mean hopefully beat the bears.
    982be7163de23b12be0039fa7de5b166

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Well the bears are gonna have a hell of a time running if they cant throw, because Newman the LB that will replace Thomas is more of a run stopper and EJ is great as well as claborne (wich i'm so happy to see moving back to the weak side). The bears will have a tough day, they shouldnt score more that 2 TD's at the most on our Defense.

thepacksux is offline Asst. Coach

actually newman is a better pass rusher

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Hey, rotate them all in on Sunday. That way, they will all be fresher and can do what they do best with fresher legs.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

I'll tell you what will make the biggest difference this week on defense is getting Mixon back. His absence has had a lot to do with our lack of pressure on the QB these last couple weeks. Wiley just wasn't able to get it done and with Mixon in I expect to see Udeze and even Kevin Williams have a better game.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"sdvikefan" wrote:
    I'll tell you what will make the biggest difference this week on defense is getting Mixon back. His absence has had a lot to do with our lack of pressure on the QB these last couple weeks. Wiley just wasn't able to get it done and with Mixon in I expect to see Udeze and even Kevin Williams have a better game.

I agree. I didn't realize what mixon did for us, until he was gone. He will help our D-line a ton. I bet our D looks pretty damn good this week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast