Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

D’Aundre Reed, DE

Positives: Three-year rotational LDE for the Wildcats is an impressive athlete with upside. Fast and fluid, he has the wheels for a look at 3-4 OLB. Has a quick first step. Uses long arms to disengage from OLs and pursue. Can flash when quick off snap, but not consistently. Healthy and durable.

Negatives: Late off snap way too often. Is a bit high cut and plays high. Not very stout against the run, can be pushed around by one blocker. Doesn't have a lot of pass rush moves. Bit stiff in the hips, which hinders change of direction. Rather unproductive given athleticism and experience- under 10 career sacks in a pass happy conference. Third of a three-end rotation at Arizona behind Brooks Reed and Ricky Elmore.
    CBS
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: D’Aundre Reed, DE

Meh, he's a 7th rounder. I'm not expecting a whole lot, if he can fix some of his issues, he might be a decent depth player.

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

Pretty sure we wanted Elmore, he was in here for a visit but ended up with the Pack..

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1095619
    Meh, he's a 7th rounder. I'm not expecting a whole lot, if he can fix some of his issues, he might be a decent depth player.
    I wonder what you would have said back in the day when this was a middle of the draft pick.

For me, you just added a LDE in this draft that added nice depth, you drafted a stud last year, you tagged Ray, why add another.

Can't figure out who's running the zoo up there.

Like the kid, but this is another wasted pick IMHO.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095646
    I wonder what you would have said back in the day when this was a middle of the draft pick.
    Probably a similar thing. I don't know what the roster size looked like then, but you can't sign 14 rookies to your active roster. Probablythe bulk of those players don't make the team.
    For me, you just added a LDE in this draft that added nice depth, you drafted a stud last year, you tagged Ray, why add another.

You're assuming they're using whatshisname as a LDE. I don't. I bet they use him rotating in for pass downs at DT, much like Robison was used.

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1095649
    Probably a similar thing. I don't know what the roster size looked like then, but you can't sign 14 rookies to your active roster. Probablythe bulk of those players don't make the team.

You're assuming they're using whatshisname as a LDE. I don't. I bet they use him rotating in for pass downs at DT, much like Robison was used.
    OK, so you need a starting DT or atleast one that can come in for reps in the base, so you draft a LDE and say, hey, we can call him a DT......

Gimme a break. You stick a LDE in at the 3 tech in the base and they are going to run right at him.

Makes absolutely no football sense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095653
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1095649

OK, so you need a starting DT or atleast one that can come in for reps in the base, so you draft a LDE and say, hey, we can call him a DT......
    I stand by what I said. Edwards or Griffen will play LDE. Ballard will be used inside at times on passing downs, and at LDE as well. We won't be replacing Pat Williams. There won't be your "warpig", we're going with four pass rushing linemen.

As well, I'm hearing conflicting reports on his size. nfl.com has him at 285, Iowa's team page has him at 295, I've seen 290 and 287. 290 isn't copmletely undersized for DT, he can put on 5-10 lbs no problem and carry it well.

Makes absolutely no football sense.
    yeah, because no teams have EVER used undersized linemen successfully.

OK, so throw out the whole LDE issue as that isn't what he was drafted for. This cat will compete for the SLB spot.

Some stuff I dug up after I calmed down a bit.....

Round 7, Pick 12 (215) D'Aundre Reed DL 6'4" 261
    "Biography: Part-time starter the past three seasons who finished with 40/6/2 as a senior after 17/2.5/2.5 as a junior.

Positives: ""Relatively athletic defensive lineman who makes plays in every direction of the field. Moves well on his feet, plays with good lean, and nicely redirects to the action. Flashes strength and the ability to get force up the field. Keeps his feet moving on contact. Plays with leverage and has quick hands.""

Negatives: Displays marginal quickness and explosiveness. Does not possess great closing burst and has poor size/speed numbers.

Analysis: Reed is a developmental prospect who's shown flashes the past three seasons but has not put together a complete game. He's a practice squad player who may need a year in an NFL weight training program before he's ready to take the field.

Projection: FA"

Pick Analysis: Reed adds some versatility to the Vikings' defensive line, and they will see what they can get out of him in training camp.

Reed is raw and needs refining in several areas. However, he has enough tools to become an adequate reserve as a LDE in the Vikings' 4-3 front.

Reed might get a chance to challenge for a backup job at SLB with the Vikings, but he's more of a natural DE
    My guess, they will slim this guy down and work him as the Sam, if he doesn't pan out, they will beef him up and see what he can do as a RDE but he doesn't fit at the LDE spot at all. Atleast not the way he is built right now.