Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: D

sitandbehitski is offline Asst. Coach

Re: D

Turnovers, not timeouts.

Great win for us, but we gotta remember, this is the LIONS with JOEY HARRINGTON at qb, with almost all of their wr's hurt.

Let's not get to worked up on our defense just yet.
    I may be an a$$, but at least I m a smart one

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    Johnstone was tearing up Harrington. 2 sacks.. great day. K-Will was playing OK. Pat played well as usual... Newman tore it up... EJ was making plays throughout the game and Winfield was just an absolute monster out there.
    Did I not say Johnstone has got to be in there along with James?

Smoot had a good day today as well. "Neuman like you said "tore it up".

It got a little tougher for the boys in the 3rd quarter because they were on the field a lot, but they never lacked drive or determination.
    Good pass rushing tandem right there. Smoot did play well also. Another person who played well without being noticed was Ralph brown. Sure... he gave up that one TD but he overall played well.

Paulbedy59 is offline Coordinator

This game made me really glad we didnt draft Mike williams.I agreed with what they were saying about him.He cant get any seperation. Go Troy!!
    If winning isn,t everything,why keep score?

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

[quote="modena11"] 3 T.O's was beautiful to watch.

quote]

Not having to watch T.O. was just as good

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

mnvikes61 is offline Team Alumni

"Paulbedy59" wrote:
    This game made me really glad we didnt draft Mike williams.I agreed with what they were saying about him.He cant get any seperation. Go Troy!!
    yah also it looked like balls just flew through his hands, i thought he was supposed to have GREAT hands? :???: never the less i'm impressed with Williamson progress this season, he still has work to do but it looks like he has developed the most out of all the WRs that were drafted

Thanks Josdin

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

all three units were on the mark today. thats what we need to win football games.
    We're bringing purple back.

Turboe is offline Hall of Famer

"Paulbedy59" wrote:
    Again I gotta step up to the plate here and admit I about blew a gasket when we picked TW over MW back on draft day. I have gone on to become a big TW backer as I learned more about him during the offseason, and I am very happy with his development thus far. How good of a game would that have been for TW if he could have pulled in that circus catch attemp in the endzone on the fly pattern just before half?

I always think back to when I was playing golf this summer with the Panthers Offensive Cordinator and when I brought up by dissapointment with us not taking MW, and he said "That guy you got will be a much better wide receiver than MW will ever be in this league." He said TW has all the tools to be a superstar in this league with the right coaching.

Turboe is offline Hall of Famer

By the way I also meant to comment on the fact that this has to be the shortest title for any thread ever in PPO history (or at least tied for it).

natethegreat is offline Pro-Bowler

every unit seemed to be playing well, but i dont get why in the second half if we have the lead, we can never do anything on offense, we get a big lead in the 1st half, and then the other team gets a little comeback in the 2nd half and makes it close, i dont know what our problem is

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"sdvikefan" wrote:
    My only problem with the D today was that we can't seem to cover tight ends with our LBs. Cowart got beat on that TD to Pollard, and we've had TEs score on us several times this year (9 or 10 times I think) largely because of poor LB pass coverage. I would like to see us target a LB in the draft who is especially good in this area.

Other than that, the D was outstanding. Newman and Johnstone, I think, are the most underrated players on our defense.
    I don't think the TEs were a problem today. Pollard only had 4 catches and he was thrown to more than that. Schleshenger didn't do much either, it was just a few short gains. I am just saying they improved today over previous Sundays.

The overall on the D is that the Viking TEAM as a whole helped them today.

1 - Offense had only one TurnOver and we didn't go three and out much except for 3 straight series spanning the 3rd and 4th quarters. It helped out that we didn't have to defend a short field. In the second half, we did start in deep in our own territory 2-3 times. The couple of times we did go three and out, Klewe bailed us out with a nice punt.

If you look at the game stats it look really even and the score looks out of balance.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/teamstats/NFL_20051106_DET@MIN

2 - Special Teams kicked well and we had some really nice returns. Once again it helped in the field position battle. We downed the ball inside the 5. Klewe kicked it over Drummonds head by 10 yds and then he ran backward for another 5 yds.

3 - Defense helped themselves by getting the INTs and Fumble recovery. They were able to get after it because we had a lead. Which we haven't had often. Maybe someone knows the stat, think I heard it last week, but we had been scored upon first in almost every game??????????

In the end, it was the 3 turnovers that were created by the D that made this victory possible. They were very opportunistic today. Without the turnovers, everything else( time of possession, total yards, missed FG, first downs was even.

I wouldn't go hanging your hat on our D just yet, I would wait to witness another performance like this before hanging that hat.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast