RandyMoss8404 is offline Hall of Famer

Cut Brian Russell

If Russell misses another easy open field tackle, cut him. It's simple. Him and Offord are costing us games. Draft a CB, move BWill to safety, cut Russell. I want to see him succeed too, but he simply cannot tackle.

He will lose us games in the playoffs like this. And yes, I played football, and yes, I played safety. I got benched for missing those sorts of tackles - instantly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgAayphx7Y
    "He s done it! Portugal is through!"

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Re: Cut Brian Russell

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    If Russell misses another easy open field tackle, cut him. It's simple. Him and Offord are costing us games. Draft a CB, move BWill to safety, cut Russell. I want to see him succeed too, but he simply cannot tackle.

He will lose us games in the playoffs like this. And yes, I played football, and yes, I played safety. I got benched for missing those sorts of tackles - instantly.

I agree 100%. Last year was clearly a fluke and he needs to go after this year. I would rather have offord in there for him this year, and that is saying alot.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Cut Brian Russell

I would say that he would still be a good back up. We just need someone to come in and compete against him.

If we had more depth in the FS and CB spot we could do some moving around but the injuries to Irvin and other(?) has limited us a bit. We have other young guys on the roster as CB and DB

Ross
    Offord
    Shaw
    Lowe
    Brown

What we have as reserves right now must not be any better or we just aren't ready to let them cut loose yet.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Cut Brian Russell

I'm with snow on this one, he's still a good backup but we need someone to come in a compete for the starting job. I think you guys are exagerating his missed tackles though. Russell is a good safety in my opinion, he's still young but hes smart, not the fastest guy but i think he can get the job done. I've been more upset with Chavous not being able to make a play on the ball when he's in position for it.

The safety position is extremly weak in this years draft, unless we can get a solid FS through free agency we are stuck with what we got.

hawaiianvike21 is offline Team Alumni

Cut Brian Russell

I dont think we should just go ahead and be cutting our saftey in the middle of the season. I mean who would play saftey and do better? It sure aint in hell going to be offord. Russell does miss a lot of tackles but at least he sorta has decent cover skills and knows the system better than any other STRONG saftey on the team.
    Hupo oe ke kau ana i ka waiupa a ma kou pa o & Hupo na Po o waiupa a

UkViking is offline Rookie

Cut Brian Russell

Russells missed tackles are his weakness but his coverage and positional display are not that bad.
    Fly the colour Purple,and fly it high!

akavikefan1969 is offline Training Camp

Cut Brian Russell

I do not get to see many games here in Arky, however looking at who is making the tackle is the real problem.
    If the line and linbackers are doing their jobs you dont need your FS and SS and CB making as many tackles as ours are doing.
    Of course many of the tackles they are making are on pass plays so maybe we should be glad Russell is there to stop the TD as maybe it was poor coverage by the CB or a missed tackle that forced him or Corey who has 55 to Russell's 44 to stop the play. The good D's FS and SS do not have near the tackles ours do.
    40 for 60
    1969 NFL Champions

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Cut Brian Russell

"UkViking" wrote:
    Russells missed tackles are his weakness but his coverage and positional display are not that bad.

Yeah, like on that long pass play on the sidleines, towards the end of the jags game? I have the game taped, and they show tice yelling at russell for that play, and I have many many other instances on tape, where russell is not in the coverage he is suppose to be. I garauntee he will be gone after this year. He is an unrestricted FA and no way we will give him a decent contract after his preformance this year. Some other team however, will give him good money for last years season, hoping this year was a fluke and not last year. After watching all of this years games at least 2 times each on tape, it is very clear to me that russell is not even a good safety. I say good riddens to an average player.