Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 62
  1. #21
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Which current Vikings are HOF bound?

    "skum" wrote:
    Sitting and watching the ceremonies here online..

    Which current Vikings are bound for Canton?..
    At this point, I have to agree with those who say "No one".
    I just don't believe that Sharper (being the oldest veteran) possesses any bit of the total ability/skills needed to be a HoF DB.


    Many here have run down the list of those who COULD be HoFers after continuing a high level of play over several more seasons - Birk, Hutch, AD, etc.
    However, if they were forced to retire now, none would make it.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  2. #22
    Schutz's Avatar
    Schutz is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: Which current Vikings are HOF bound?

    Why is everyone so insistant that Sharper isn't going to be a hall guy?
    He may not be a first ballot but I see no reason why he won't be a HoF DB.


    At the same time in their careers Darrell Green had 34 INTs and Sharper has 53.
    Green had 772 tackles at that point of his career and Sharper has 798.
    Green had 2 TD INTs and 2 TD Fumbles, Sharper has 8 and 2 in the same columns.
    Green had 1 sack at that point and Sharper 8.
    Do I really need to go on?

    So just cut out this bull that Sharper isn't a HoF level DB.
    He still has years to go but by all indications he has a very very good chance of making the HoF.


    Oh and Sharpers 53 INTs is just one short of Green's CAREER mark, and already has 400 more INT return yards in what is arguably a harder time for the DB with penalties.

  3. #23
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Which current Vikings are HOF bound?

    "Schutz" wrote:
    Why is everyone so insistant that Sharper isn't going to be a hall guy?
    He may not be a first ballot but I see no reason why he won't be a HoF DB.


    At the same time in their careers Darrell Green had 34 INTs and Sharper has 53.
    Green had 772 tackles at that point of his career and Sharper has 798.
    Green had 2 TD INTs and 2 TD Fumbles, Sharper has 8 and 2 in the same columns.
    Green had 1 sack at that point and Sharper 8.
    Do I really need to go on?

    So just cut out this bull that Sharper isn't a HoF level DB.
    He still has years to go but by all indications he has a very very good chance of making the HoF.


    Oh and Sharpers 53 INTs is just one short of Green's CAREER mark, and already has 400 more INT return yards in what is arguably a harder time for the DB with penalties.
    Does Sharper play CB?
    No.
    Then comparing him to Darrell Green is ludicrous.

    Why not compare him to, say, Ronnie Lott.


    And I think the sub-par tackling skills of Darren Sharper are more than enough to keep him out of the HoF.
    Safeties are supposed to be the big hitting last line of defense, not "gimme, gimme, gimme" interception devotees who get beat deep several times a season.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  4. #24
    Schutz's Avatar
    Schutz is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: Which current Vikings are HOF bound?

    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:
    Why is everyone so insistant that Sharper isn't going to be a hall guy?
    He may not be a first ballot but I see no reason why he won't be a HoF DB.


    At the same time in their careers Darrell Green had 34 INTs and Sharper has 53.
    Green had 772 tackles at that point of his career and Sharper has 798.
    Green had 2 TD INTs and 2 TD Fumbles, Sharper has 8 and 2 in the same columns.
    Green had 1 sack at that point and Sharper 8.
    Do I really need to go on?

    So just cut out this bull that Sharper isn't a HoF level DB.
    He still has years to go but by all indications he has a very very good chance of making the HoF.


    Oh and Sharpers 53 INTs is just one short of Green's CAREER mark, and already has 400 more INT return yards in what is arguably a harder time for the DB with penalties.
    Does Sharper play CB?
    No.
    Then comparing him to Darrell Green is ludicrous.

    Why not compare him to, say, Ronnie Lott.


    And I think the sub-par tackling skills of Darren Sharper are more than enough to keep him out of the HoF.
    Safeties are supposed to be the big hitting last line of defense, not "gimme, gimme, gimme" interception devotees who get beat deep several times a season.

    =Z=
    I compared him to green because Green was pretty much the only player in the Hall who is anywhere near playing in the same time frame of Sharper.











    Lott

    Sharper


    Same point of career.
    Tack





    814


    798
    Int






    59



    53
    Int/Fmbl TD

    5




    10
    Int Yards

    695



    1024
    FF







    9




    8
    Sacks




    6.5



    7

    Still looks pretty comparable, but hey
    maybe it's just me.

  5. #25
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Which current Vikings are HOF bound?

    "Schutz" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:
    Why is everyone so insistant that Sharper isn't going to be a hall guy?
    He may not be a first ballot but I see no reason why he won't be a HoF DB.


    At the same time in their careers Darrell Green had 34 INTs and Sharper has 53.
    Green had 772 tackles at that point of his career and Sharper has 798.
    Green had 2 TD INTs and 2 TD Fumbles, Sharper has 8 and 2 in the same columns.
    Green had 1 sack at that point and Sharper 8.
    Do I really need to go on?

    So just cut out this bull that Sharper isn't a HoF level DB.
    He still has years to go but by all indications he has a very very good chance of making the HoF.


    Oh and Sharpers 53 INTs is just one short of Green's CAREER mark, and already has 400 more INT return yards in what is arguably a harder time for the DB with penalties.
    Does Sharper play CB?
    No.
    Then comparing him to Darrell Green is ludicrous.

    Why not compare him to, say, Ronnie Lott.


    And I think the sub-par tackling skills of Darren Sharper are more than enough to keep him out of the HoF.
    Safeties are supposed to be the big hitting last line of defense, not "gimme, gimme, gimme" interception devotees who get beat deep several times a season.
    I compared him to green because Green was pretty much the only player in the Hall who is anywhere near playing in the same time frame of Sharper.











    Lott


    Sharper


    Same point of career.
    Tack





    814



    798
    Int







    59




    53
    Int/Fmbl TD

    5




    10
    Int Yards


    695



    1024
    FF







    9





    8
    Sacks





    6.5




    7

    Still looks pretty comparable, but hey
    maybe it's just me.
    But those are just the numbers.
    What about that which cannot be measured in numbers?

    Put it this way - do you think any team has schemed to AVOID throwing at Sharper?
    Because I know they did for Ronnie Lott.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  6. #26
    Schutz's Avatar
    Schutz is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: Which current Vikings are HOF bound?

    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:
    Why is everyone so insistant that Sharper isn't going to be a hall guy?
    He may not be a first ballot but I see no reason why he won't be a HoF DB.


    At the same time in their careers Darrell Green had 34 INTs and Sharper has 53.
    Green had 772 tackles at that point of his career and Sharper has 798.
    Green had 2 TD INTs and 2 TD Fumbles, Sharper has 8 and 2 in the same columns.
    Green had 1 sack at that point and Sharper 8.
    Do I really need to go on?

    So just cut out this bull that Sharper isn't a HoF level DB.
    He still has years to go but by all indications he has a very very good chance of making the HoF.


    Oh and Sharpers 53 INTs is just one short of Green's CAREER mark, and already has 400 more INT return yards in what is arguably a harder time for the DB with penalties.
    Does Sharper play CB?
    No.
    Then comparing him to Darrell Green is ludicrous.

    Why not compare him to, say, Ronnie Lott.


    And I think the sub-par tackling skills of Darren Sharper are more than enough to keep him out of the HoF.
    Safeties are supposed to be the big hitting last line of defense, not "gimme, gimme, gimme" interception devotees who get beat deep several times a season.
    I compared him to green because Green was pretty much the only player in the Hall who is anywhere near playing in the same time frame of Sharper.











    Lott


    Sharper


    Same point of career.
    Tack





    814



    798
    Int







    59




    53
    Int/Fmbl TD

    5




    10
    Int Yards


    695



    1024
    FF







    9





    8
    Sacks





    6.5




    7

    Still looks pretty comparable, but hey
    maybe it's just me.
    But those are just the numbers.
    What about that which cannot be measured in numbers?

    Put it this way - do you think any team has schemed to AVOID throwing at Sharper?
    Because I know they did for Ronnie Lott.

    =Z=
    Do you now?
    Well with 53 career interceptions and leading the league twice in picks I'd sure hope a defensive coach would change his game plan or else he was a really bad coach.
    You can believe what you like I guess, but Sharper has the career stats, the dominant seasons, and contrary to what you say the skill set to make him a HoF safety.
    Like I said he may not be a first ballot, and Ronnie Lott might have been the better safety, but when you are that close and noticeably at the same level of guys like Lott I guess I don't see how that means you don't get in.

  7. #27
    midgensa's Avatar
    midgensa is offline Jersey Retired Free Kick Specialist 3 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,304

    Re: Which current Vikings are HOF bound?

    "Schutz" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:
    Why is everyone so insistant that Sharper isn't going to be a hall guy?
    He may not be a first ballot but I see no reason why he won't be a HoF DB.


    At the same time in their careers Darrell Green had 34 INTs and Sharper has 53.
    Green had 772 tackles at that point of his career and Sharper has 798.
    Green had 2 TD INTs and 2 TD Fumbles, Sharper has 8 and 2 in the same columns.
    Green had 1 sack at that point and Sharper 8.
    Do I really need to go on?

    So just cut out this bull that Sharper isn't a HoF level DB.
    He still has years to go but by all indications he has a very very good chance of making the HoF.


    Oh and Sharpers 53 INTs is just one short of Green's CAREER mark, and already has 400 more INT return yards in what is arguably a harder time for the DB with penalties.
    Does Sharper play CB?
    No.
    Then comparing him to Darrell Green is ludicrous.

    Why not compare him to, say, Ronnie Lott.


    And I think the sub-par tackling skills of Darren Sharper are more than enough to keep him out of the HoF.
    Safeties are supposed to be the big hitting last line of defense, not "gimme, gimme, gimme" interception devotees who get beat deep several times a season.
    I compared him to green because Green was pretty much the only player in the Hall who is anywhere near playing in the same time frame of Sharper.











    Lott


    Sharper


    Same point of career.
    Tack





    814



    798
    Int







    59




    53
    Int/Fmbl TD

    5




    10
    Int Yards


    695



    1024
    FF







    9





    8
    Sacks





    6.5




    7

    Still looks pretty comparable, but hey
    maybe it's just me.
    But those are just the numbers.
    What about that which cannot be measured in numbers?

    Put it this way - do you think any team has schemed to AVOID throwing at Sharper?
    Because I know they did for Ronnie Lott.

    =Z=
    Do you now?
    Well with 53 career interceptions and leading the league twice in picks I'd sure hope a defensive coach would change his game plan or else he was a really bad coach.
    You can believe what you like I guess, but Sharper has the career stats, the dominant seasons, and contrary to what you say the skill set to make him a HoF safety.
    Like I said he may not be a first ballot, and Ronnie Lott might have been the better safety, but when you are that close and noticeably at the same level of guys like Lott I guess I don't see how that means you don't get in.
    Just to let you know ... he has only led the league in picks ONCE. Ronnie Lott (even without it being his strong suit) led the league in INTs TWICE. Lott had 814 tackels 'by this point in his career' Sharper only has 615 ... not the 798 you are stating ... so make sure you get these numbers correct here.
    Darren Sharper, 4-time Pro Bowler and 1 Time All-Pro ... Ronnie Lott 10-time Pro-Bowler and 6 time All-Pro.
    Lott the anchor to three Super Bowl champion defense. Sharper ... well ... he has been pretty good on some crappy defenses.
    These guys are NOT even close. Lott is generally regarded as the greatest safety of all time. Sharper has never even been the top safety in the league.
    These guys are not even close. L

  8. #28
    midgensa's Avatar
    midgensa is offline Jersey Retired Free Kick Specialist 3 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,304

    Re: Which current Vikings are HOF bound?

    oops ... make that FOUR world championships for Lott.

  9. #29
    MetalMike-LoudVike's Avatar
    MetalMike-LoudVike is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,291

    Re: Which current Vikings are HOF bound?

    Sharper I can can see going in. But then again I would say Steve Hutchinson OR Matt Birk should also, Other than that I can't really see anybody else who really stands out.
    IN THE PITS ON THE RIVER BEDS EVRY VIKING FAN WILL RISE & VAHALLA SHALL REJOICE WITH THE MOST GLORIOUS PRIZE LOMBARDI'S TROPHY

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,206

    Re: Which current Vikings are HOF bound?

    "Schutz" wrote:
    Why is everyone so insistant that Sharper isn't going to be a hall guy?
    He may not be a first ballot but I see no reason why he won't be a HoF DB.
    There was actually a thread devoted entirely to Sharper's HOF chances awhile back if you want to take a look at some of the old arguments (link).

    But I think midgensa pretty much got the main reason.
    Sharper hasn't been considered dominant, as evidenced by his (relatively) low number of Pro Bowls and All-Pro mentions.
    There's a very high bar for modern defensive backs in the Hall, and Sharper hasn't cleared that bar.
    Without the high All-Pro count, I think he needs the interception record to clear that bar.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Question: Former Packers, current Vikings?
    By lumberjackgreg in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-29-2011, 04:49 AM
  2. 2009 Vikings: Superbowl Bound -or- Super let-down!
    By mountainviking in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-07-2010, 01:22 PM
  3. Vikings Current Roster
    By marstc09 in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 282
    Last Post: 09-09-2009, 11:59 PM
  4. Do the current Vikings mirror MN ?
    By StillPurple in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-17-2008, 06:20 PM
  5. Current 08 Vikings
    By MindFreak in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-11-2008, 12:01 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •