Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    ChezPizmo is offline Coordinator

Re: Culpepper's camp ready to negotiate. What will Vikings do?

"michaelmazid" wrote:
    I say we hold off on giving Daunte any more money till he shows and proves that he is totally healthy. Lets not forget that football is a business first.
    Completely agree. Show us some production.
    [size=11pt]"The only thing better than food & football is maybe Brett Favre."

[size=8pt]

-John Madden on Thanksgiving while on "Mike & Mike In The Morning"

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Culpepper's camp ready to negotiate. What will Vikings do?

Daunte is out of his friggin mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If he wants to be traded then tell people behind the scenes and stop this childish tantrum, he is under contract he is due 6 million plus a base of another 2.5 Million plus incentives, what more does the guy want? If he comes back and is able to play the last half of the season and preforms well then he can try and renegotiate his contract after next season. But with the way the situation is know (new coach, new owner, being hurt) what is he thinking? If it is the boat scandal charges that was his own fault, take it like a man! If he thinks he was slighted some how after he was hurt, get the f*ck over it! If he doesn't want to play for the Vikes any longer than say it behind the scenes and not in the press! What ever he is thinking he is handling this poorly and should get his sh*t together, I would love to seem him come back better than before but he has to start acting like a man not a child!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Del Rio Guest

Re: Culpepper's camp ready to negotiate. What will Vikings d

For not saying anything and just focusing on getting better he sure is saying all the wrong things.

Del Rio Guest

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

This is the part of the post-season/pre-season I hate. The part where the mad scramble for more cash occurs.

On one hand, we have the people who say, "Players should honor their contracts"...and I am often one of them. Then we have the "Teams should honor their end of the contract" faction...which I situationally join.

I think that there are basically four types of situations which we run into year in and year out.

1: The guy who wants more money, but doesn't have anything to justify it yet/currently.

2: The guy who wants more money and should honestly get it.

3: The guy who is overpaid and isn't saying anything until after the March roster bonus kicks in.

4: The guy making what he should and happy about it.

I don't see a lot of #4's most years.

Almost everyone in the NFL believes their underpaid. Most every NFL fan thinks the players are overpaid. Heck, the same is true in REAL life...I think I'm underpaid, but my employer (who recently restructured our wage system so they can pay us less...LEGALLY...the jerks) thinks we're all over paid.

Right now, I see Culpepper as a 3 who is playing a 1. He had a HORRIBLE season this year - including suffering a terrible injury from which he may never recover completely - yet his AGENT has the audacity to try and return to the table for MORE. At which point does he believe that the entire Viking front office underwent lobotomy proceedures?

One thing that the NFL Teams and the NFL fans agree on is that this is a put-up-or-shut-up League. Most of us a tired of players crying because they didn't sign the deal they should have (T-Hoe), or they had one good year and deserve superstar money (Jovan Walker). If you don't like it, boys, you can always quit and get a REAL job.

So, I believe the the Viking ownership should quietly and privately tell Daunte, that now is not the time to be discussing salary increases. If Daunte's agent wants to be Drew Rosenhaus II...well...we can always shop Daunte around.

I've seen enough football to know that, in spite of media opinion, there is no one person who can carry a franchise. Ask Barry Sanders about that...or Warren Moon (when he was with Houston). And even a lesser player can achieve victory with the right team (Jim McMahon, Trent Dilfer, Niel O'Donnel, etc).

Daunte should focus on rehab now, and playing his butt off next season. And I'm GLAD Brad Johnson wants to start. He played well enough last season to warrant a look. His style IS West Coast. And if He outplays Daunte...well...I guess we all know where that "more money" talk of Daunte's agent will lead.

Caine

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"Del Rio" wrote:
    This is how Del Rio says, "HELLO".

Caine

Del Rio Guest

No better way to say Hello Neighbor like the good old Monkey Steals the Peach.

Also useful for when your teams QB who has a surgically reconstructed knee is wanting more cash.

kyleo1967 is offline Starter

STORM CLOUDS GATHER IN MINNY

(per PFT.com)

A few days back, we suggested that the relationship between the Vikings and quarterback Daunte Culpepper soon could be coming to an end. In our assessment, the process is already beginning to unfold.

In our opinion, the Vikings would be wise to accelerate it.

Sean Jensen of The St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that agent Mason Ashe plans to reopen talks aimed at finagling more money for Culpepper, who currently is rehabilitating a torn ligament trifecta (and, presumably, a shattered ego).

"I am poised and ready to begin the scheduled restructuring of his long-term contract with the Vikings, as we discussed last summer with [owner Zygi] Wilf, so Daunte can assume the position on the NFL pay scale that he so deserves," Ashe said on Wednesday.

Excuse me? Mason, are you f--king insane? You hijacked the Vikings for more money last year because you had your guy sign a deal running through 2013 that didn't properly anticipate his MVP-caliber performance in 2004, and now after your guy played like refried baby crap in 2005 before having his knee exploded you want more money?

For new head coach Brad Childress, who was smack dab in the middle of the T.O. mess last year, it looks like deja turd all over again.

And if Childress learned anything a year ago, it's that cancers like this must be dealt with swiftly and decisively. Culpepper is due a $6 million roster bonus in March.

So cut him. Cut him now.

Don't even try to trade him. Just dump him. So what if you're giving him what he wants? But getting rid of him, you'll also be getting what you need.

Peace. Harmony. Focus.

Then Brad Johnson can be the starter for 2006, and the team can develop its next quarterback as Johnson squeezes the last bits of toothpaste out of the tube.

It's bold, but it's a no brainer. C'mon Zig, Rob, Brad. Show the entire NFL that team is more important than individual. Who cares if Culpepper wins a ring with someone else? The simple truth is that, as long as he stays in Minnesota, no one is gonna get one.

Del Rio Guest

He played like refried baby crap........LMAO I like it, I better write that one down! :lol:

Prophet Guest

"I am poised and ready to begin the scheduled restructuring of his long-term contract with the Vikings, as we discussed last summer with Mr. Wilf, so Daunte can assume the position on the NFL pay scale that he so deserves," Ashe said Wednesday.
    Based on this quote from the original article in this thread it appears that Daunte was promised a restructuring of his contract.

That being said, what does it mean? Many players during the Patriots run restructured their contracts to benefit the team....receiving less money instead of more so they could keep the team intact.

Culpepper is making plenty of coin. If he had a good year in 2005 and wasn't injured then the deal they made last summer regarding the restructuring of his contract would make more sense. After his pathetic performance in 2005 and his injury he is in no position to restructure his contract unless he is doing it to help out the team. He is suppose to be the leader on the field.

I have been a Daunte supporter in the past and I find it more difficult with each passing day to support him. If he really wants to get on the new ship and lead the team he should begin doing that now, it may already be too late.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast