Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    stjmnsota is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Culpepper's camp ready to negotiate. What will Vikings d

IMO, Culpepper has had a couple of very good seasons. But so has Tommy Maddox, Trent Dilfer, Chris Chandler...you get my point. Is he a superstart? Potentially, has he proven what Mannin has, that he can be a conistent superstar? Now let's take into consideration the blown knee.

Perhaps Culpepper has higher pay coming to him, or should I say should have been paid more based on some of the other QBs out there mentioned in the article, but is it fair to compare Daunte to Manning or Brady? Vick maybe, but Vick's all that the Falcons have.

I say negotiate, but don't bank on this QB to be worth the money. I say prove consistency, durability and improvement before you get paid. Yes Daunte deserves fair compensation for what he has done (I am not a big DC fan) but what that pay is I am not so sure. Contingent upon performance this year with a new and I think will be better offense?

"Prophet" wrote:
    CULPEPPER MIGHT FIRE AGENT
    20 January 2006
    pft.com

On Thursday, The St. Paul Pioneer Press quoted agent Mason Ashe regarding his desire to promptly commence negotiations aimed at finagling even more money for quarterback Daunte Culpepper, who otherwise has committed contractually to the Vikings through 2013.

"I am poised and ready to begin the scheduled restructuring of his long-term contract with the Vikings, as we discussed last summer with Mr. Wilf, so Daunte can assume the position on the NFL pay scale that he so deserves," Ashe said.

Now, The Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that Culpepper was "livid" with Ashe regarding his comments, and that Culpepper might fire him.

As a result, Ashe has backpedaled faster than Deion Sanders after stumbling into the theater during a Brokeback Mountain love scene.

"I have never forewarned a team about negotiating with me at some point or another, in my 15 years in the business," Ashe said Thursday, according to The Pioneer Press. "That is not what I said nor my style of representation."

The Star Tribune also reports that Culpepper recently tried to get negotiations started on his own by sending a letter to several members of the organization, requesting a meeting. When Culpepper arrived, V.P. Rob Brzezinski was the only team official present, and Brzezinski politely told him that there will be no further negotiations at this time.

This one, then, officially is a full-blown clusterfudge. Kudos to the Vikes for refusing to put more money on the table. We hope that the team will continue to take a hard line if Culpepper continues to think that a pathetic performance in 2005 and a horrific knee injury from which he may or may not fully recover merits more money.
    Wow. I, too, am glad to hear they aren't going to throw more money his way (at the moment). I can see him getting more money if he comes back next year and shows that there are no lingering effects of the injury and he can execute the WCO.

In all honesty, I can see this situation getting real ugly very quickly. Lets just hope he doesnt put himself before the team...

Del Rio Guest

Re: Culpepper's camp ready to negotiate. What will Vikings do?

"digital420" wrote:
    All of this talk for the revamping of the contract was pre planned back in the begining of the year. DC is not coming outta now where and saying ... "I want more money" (like TO did so please don't compare those as the same) .

As for him, think it this way too.. he want to know as a gaurentee that he will be back and the man behiend the center. would you? if your struggeling and forcing yourself to rehab through pain, tension and reading all the bs cretics thrashing your name.. wouldn't u be a bit.. concerned?

nothing i have read so far says to me he wants to be traded.. (if he does come out and say it.. i'll eat the cooked crow from soemone) and as things have come so far he even seems to NOT wanna be like the t.o. flamer.. he's bitching at his agent for his statements.. he's trying to go directly to the ownership and say his peace.

For everyone that is also over and over stating that just becuase he had what 7 games and played poorly in what 5 / 4 of them? that he should be dropped / traded? or that he is not the pro bowler we've seen for years???

remember.. how many GREAT games / years he's had? ok.. don't take all the blame off him for his bad play.. but don't give it ALL to him either.. it's still a team sport, B.J did well. but even he lost games.. Tell me you think he did great against the giants? had we lost that game it would be chants of bring back DC not HAIL BJ

DC is an Elite QB.. and he is the anchor i'd like to see hoist the purple and gold to the S.B.

DiGiTaL
    Actually,

"While agreeing to the $8 million bump last summer, Wilf said he would revisit the contract at the end of the season.

"We will consider it on a year-to-year basis," Wilf said in August of Culpepper's original 10-year, $102 million deal. Relative to the business of the NFL, where players' salaries are based almost exclusively on their performance the previous season, no one can blame Wilf for deciding against another raise."

Basically in a nutshell from sifting through all this garbage is Culpepper tried to get a meeting together to discuss his contract renegotiation. Only Berenski showed up even though Culpepper invited everyone to come. And Rob said NOPE.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Sound to me like only Wilf and Brezynski have their heads screwed on right while DC and his agent are howling at the moon!

"While agreeing to the $8 million bump last summer, Wilf said he would revisit the contract at the end of the season.
    "We will consider it on a year-to-year basis," Wilf said in August of Culpepper's original 10-year, $102 million deal. Relative to the business of the NFL, where players' salaries are based almost exclusively on their performance the previous season, no one can blame Wilf for deciding against another raise."
    Looks like there was never a raised promised to me as DC's agent contends.

"I don't think it's anyone else's business," Wilf said. "It's between us and them. I have nothing to say on that."
    Good for you Wilf. Keep your cards close to the table.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Hopefully Culpepper realizes the error of his request and will come out and say the right things and concentrate on healing and stop being a bltch!
    If we can get teams to think we want him yet maybe we can get more for him in a trade, because I think the Vikes are done with him and I think it is just a matter of when we trade him or cut him!

Sorry Pep but you have nobody to blame but yourself for this, you have been pouting and you are the one who called the meeting trying to get more money after having a terrible year before you got hurt and then blew out a knee. You had at least 8 million coming your way if you kept your mouth shout, but you either do not want to play here or are not smart enough to realize that the situation had changed!

So I think off you go and if we could get one of the Oakland draft picks I think we should take it and run!

Viker44, you said the Vikes should give him a raise because they said they would revisit the contract at the end of the year! C-pep would be lucky if they went through with what he has left on the contract! And after how bad he played those first 7 games he is lucky that they are not cutting his pay or cut him already with his childish attitude since the injury!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

[size=18px]Culpepper, Johnson to battle in training camp, owner says[/size]
    BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

Training camp is about six months away, but Vikings owner Zygi Wilf is looking forward to a surprising position battle: at quarterback.

Though there are concerns about his readiness, incumbent starter Daunte Culpepper will not automatically retain the No. 1 spot over Brad Johnson, Wilf said.

"One thing I've learned in this league, no one is handed anything," Wilf said Thursday. "You've got to compete for your job, and you have to fight hard for it. If it's a given, you lose that spirit. … I would hope that when they both come in, that they're both at 110 percent … and they know they're fighting for their jobs. You can't ask for anything more than to be in that position."

Neither Culpepper nor Johnson is likely to be traded this offseason, Wilf said.

"I think having both of them together is the best weapon that we can have going forward. And having them compete against each other on a constant basis is even better."

Culpepper and Johnson were unavailable for comment, and their agents, Mason Ashe and Phil Williams, respectively, declined comment.

Culpepper, who tore three ligaments in his right knee Oct. 30 against the Carolina Panthers, is rehabbing after surgery. Johnson was 7-2 as the Vikings starter after Culpepper's injury.

Wilf said he is not bothered by reports of Johnson's desire to be No. 1.

"Sure, Brad wants to be a starting quarterback. I wouldn't expect anything less of him," Wilf said. "That's why he's a great leader. That's why he has a Super Bowl ring, because he always has that spirit. And I will not say to him that 'you can't compete,' because that would hurt everyone. So therefore, I welcome and look forward to this training camp. I think it's great for both of them, really. It sets them up to a higher level."

Wilf added the "competitive spirit" would help both players.

"It's always great to have that," Wilf said. "I think there's always room, in fact a necessity, to always have a competitive spirit, and I'm proud to say that we have two of the best quarterbacks in the league competing against each other. Who could ask for anything more?"

Wilf reiterated that Culpepper is a "franchise quarterback." But he added... "I've got two franchise quarterbacks, OK? That's how I look at it.,"

"When you talk about quarterbacks in the plural, this team has the franchise quarterbacks. As you can see around the league, especially last year, you never know. It's very tough to stay healthy, at that position, for a full year. You never know when things will happen. If you don't have that person that can step up..."

Wilf didn't finish that thought. But after the Vikings started 2-5 with Culpepper, the Vikings rallied when Johnson took over. The Vikings won six consecutive games with Johnson and finished 9-7 to narrowly miss the playoffs.

"With what Brad exhibited with his leadership, I wouldn't bet against Brad in the competitive role. He's the ultimate competitor," Wilf said. "You'll see the best of him, in competing for the quarterback position."

Asked if he would address Johnson's or Culpepper's contract this offseason, Wilf said, "I won't comment on contracts."

Still, Wilf wants to ensure both players are around for the long haul.

"We're in an envious positions," Wilf said. "Our team has what I would say is the franchise quarterback combination in the league. You have to look upon that nowadays, because things change on a weekly basis."

Hummmm, does this answer any questions we have?
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

I do not buy it, they are trying to get in a better position to trade C-Pep, but the way he has been acting his trade value dropped and they are trying to get it back-up! A few days ago Wilf said it was up to the head-coach, so if that statement was true then Childress gets to decide if he wants to keep either, or both of them.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Thanks for the find.

This is what I had in the back of my mind all along.

Both QBs can pout, whine, complain and apparently compete about their positions all they want but the fact is they are both under contract. If we had salary cap issues this year, it might be an issue, but we don't so it won't.

Like I said in an earlier post, with what happened last year with the abrupt trading of Moss, I think we as Viking Fans will have a tendency not to rule out other unthinkable possibilities. But you have to try to take the owners word to heart and believe him. He is not the same owner we had last year.

I am all for this. Even before DC's injury, I think it was Del that said it wouldn't hurt for DC to have to compete for his job, because it might help him play better.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Del Rio" wrote:
    Well at least Viker44 gave me a good chuckle this morning.

"Everyone here knows this about me...."

"Everyone here knows that I can mop the floor......"

The fact of the matter is no one here knows you bud, and I am willing to bet no one gives a pooh either.

LMAO! I've never seen such a prick, trying to inflate his own E-peen this way. Somewhat creative and yet still very sad and depressing. Lay off the twinkies, go get some sunshine.
    And we ALL know what Del brings to the table!!! :grin:

If you don't like it here, DUDER, don't let the cyberdoor hit you on your cyberbutt on the way out!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Muggsy is offline Asst. Coach

Dis I got from a Miami newspaper...
    ===============================================
    QB EQUATION

Whomever is the new offensive coordinator obviously will have large input as well in how Miami upgrades itself at quarterback, whether by obtaining a proven veteran or spending a first-round draft pick.

There are more options with a veteran. Daunte Culpepper, David Carr and Drew Brees all have been rumored as possibly gettable. Each is worth investigating, hard. Miami has strong bargaining options, with the draft's No. 16 overall pick, running back Ricky Williams and (if Owens is acquired) maybe receiver Marty Booker as chips.

I'd give up a first-round pick to land Culpepper, Carr or Brees. I'd only do that to get an in-his-prime QB to whom you'd be comfortable entrusting a good chunk of the franchise's future.

Wouldn't do that for an unproven talent such as Philip Rivers. Definitely wouldn't for a guy in decline (Steve McNair), a guy never that good (Aaron Brooks) or somebody else's backup (Billy Volek).

If Miami can't trade for a step-right-in starter clearly better than Gus Frerotte, then Saban should trade up from 16th and select Vanderbilt QB Jay Cutler. Might take a move into the lower top 10 to get him.

Plenty of guys at positions where Miami needs help likely will be available around 16th, including tackles Marcus McNeil of Auburn and Winston Justice of USC and versatile Texas defensive back Michael Huff.

You want bold, though?

Bold is swinging a major deal for somebody such as Culpepper, or trading up to get Cutler. Bold is the dice-roll that would be signing T.O. Bold is seeing if Martz, who did so in St. Louis, can take existing weapons and these new parts and make Miami's offense something it hasn't been in 20 years:

The talk of the NFL.

You want bold?

You've got a head coach with the brass to do bold. If he wants to.
    "From the fury of the Northmen, O Lord, save us!"
    -- From a monestary in Ireland.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast