Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Culpepper's camp ready to negotiate. What will Vikings do?

Posted on Wed, Jan. 18, 2006

[size=18px]Culpepper's camp ready to negotiate, but what will Vikings do[/size]

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Knight Ridder Newspapers

ST. PAUL, Minn. - The agent for Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper said he is prepared to begin "scheduled" contract negotiations with the team to make his client one of the NFL's highest-paid players.

Mason Ashe, Culpepper's agent, said he, Vikings owner Zygi Wilf and Rob Brzezinski, the team's vice president of football operations, outlined their intentions in August, when Culpepper received an additional $7.5 million in guaranteed money from the team.

"I am poised and ready to begin the scheduled restructuring of his long-term contract with the Vikings, as we discussed last summer with Mr. Wilf, so Daunte can assume the position on the NFL pay scale that he so deserves," Ashe said Wednesday.

Wilf, through a team spokesman, declined comment Wednesday evening.
    Brzezinski also declined comment, and Culpepper did not return phone messages.

Culpepper has been noticeably silent since an interview with the St. Paul Pioneer Press on Dec. 15, when he insisted he would dispute the three misdemeanor charges against him for his role in the controversial boat party Oct. 6 on Lake Minnetonka. He also cast his support of backup quarterback Brad Johnson, and said he expected to "end my career in Minnesota and win Super Bowls for the Vikings."

Since then, however, the Vikings narrowly missed the playoffs, and coach Mike Tice was fired and replaced by Philadelphia Eagles offensive coordinator Brad Childress, who installed the West Coast offense.

Culpepper, whom Childress called "the franchise quarterback," has been conspicuously mum.

Culpepper returned to the Twin Cities late last week, spurring widespread speculation about the quarterback's visit. Many assumed he was in town to meet with Childress, but a league source said Wednesday that Culpepper met with Brzezinski to discuss his contract.
    Brzezinski declined comment when asked about the meeting with Culpepper.

But Ashe said Culpepper was in the area for one reason.

"He did not come up there to negotiate his contract. If he had, I would have been there," Ashe said. "He had one scheduled visit, which he made. It was to deal with the ahead-of-schedule progress of his rehabilitation. Any other speculation about why he was there is pure conjecture."

Ashe said his client's focus is on returning to health after tearing three of four ligaments in his right knee Oct. 30 in Charlotte, N.C., in a game against the Carolina Panthers.

"Daunte is 100 percent focused on continuing his incredible progress and rehab, so he can be faster and stronger than ever before. That's his complete focus. Period," Ashe said. "The fans ought to know that."

Although Culpepper is ahead of schedule, Ashe declined to put a timetable on his client's return. Culpepper told the St. Paul Pioneer Press on Dec. 15, "I'll be playing definitely next season."

The question now is where.

In March, Culpepper is due a $6 million roster bonus, and his base salary for 2006 is $2 million. His salary cap number is a team-high $9.421 million, according to NFL Players Association salary documents. The exact date Culpepper will receive the bonus is not known. But if the Vikings choose to release or trade him - the NFL trading period begins on March 3 - the team's accelerated salary cap charge would be about $5.6 million. That means the Vikings' net savings, for salary cap purposes, would be $2.4 million.

The handling of this standoff is delicate for both sides.

A three-time Pro Bowl quarterback, Culpepper has been underpaid relative to other quarterbacks. Since he signed an incentive-laden, 10-year, $102 million contract in May 2003, his deal has been trumped by at least 18 NFL players.

His $15 million in guaranteed money was more than doubled by Peyton Manning of the Indianapolis Colts ($34.5 million) and Michael Vick of the Atlanta Falcons ($37 million). Even with the additional $7.5 million Wilf approved in August, Culpepper's total is still below those players, as well as Alex Smith ($24 million), who just finished his rookie season with the San Francisco 49ers, and Tom Brady ($26.5 million) of the New England Patriots.

"Daunte is a premier player in the league and the adjustment to his salary was warranted. We made an adjustment to recognize that," Brzezinski said when the team announced Culpepper's contract adjustment in August.
    At the time, however, Ashe insisted that move was only a "temporary solution," noting he expected to have future discussions with the Vikings about Culpepper's contract.

"It's a respectable gesture for now by the new owner," Ashe told the St. Paul Pioneer Press on Aug. 7. "But there is still more work to be done."
    That, however, was when all sides assumed Culpepper and the Vikings would fulfill their preseason expectations of grandeur. The Vikings were widely projected to run away with the NFC North, and Culpepper was projected to contend for the Most Valuable Player award again. But the Vikings struggled to a 2-5 start, with Culpepper throwing six touchdown passes against 12 interceptions. Then, just as his play improved, Culpepper suffered a season-ending knee injury that has cast doubt on his readiness for the 2006 season.

Now, the Vikings are in a quandary. Not only is Culpepper unhappy but so is Johnson, who has made clear he wants to start next season.
    Though he has cast his support to Culpepper, Childress said Friday he wasn't ready to set a timetable for Culpepper's return. Childress, however, did say Culpepper should be ready to participate in some football activity by training camp.

Childress also said he had a 45-minute telephone conversation last week with Culpepper_their first significant interaction since he was hired.
    An authoritarian coach, Childress certainly wants to assert himself with Culpepper, who was granted many perks by Tice.

"I think the offseason program starts March 20, which traditionally has been well attended. He's going to want to put his best foot forward, I'm sure," Childress said Friday. "He'll want to be a part of that."

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

PurpleMafia is offline Coordinator

Re: Culpepper's camp ready to negotiate. What will Vikings do?

good to know! thanks again for keepin me updated singer, your like my internet paperboy!

nice sig by the way!
    Retired 12/21/08

michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

I say we hold off on giving Daunte any more money till he shows and proves that he is totally healthy. Lets not forget that football is a business first.

iluvbigtds is offline Rookie

Re: Culpepper's camp ready to negotiate. What will Vikings d

"michaelmazid" wrote:
    I say we hold off on giving Daunte any more money till he shows and proves that he is totally healthy. Lets not forget that football is a business first.
    I think the timing of this is pretty suspicious, after all these allegations of the Vikes shopping him. I'll be a real conspiracy theorist and say Pep is saying "put up or shut up" to the organization, either pay me what a superstar QB merits now or trade me to someone that will.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

"iluvbigtds" wrote:
    "michaelmazid" wrote:
    I think the timing of this is pretty suspicious, after all these allegations of the Vikes shopping him. I'll be a real conspiracy theorist and say Pep is saying "put up or shut up" to the organization, either pay me what a superstar QB merits now or trade me to someone that will.
    Wilf is a business man. Pep had better remember he hasn't been a super star since Moss left. :razz: Wilf said he will honor his contract but I don't see him giving him any more than that.

WWBGD

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"singersp" wrote:
    Posted on Wed, Jan. 18, 2006

[size=18px]Culpepper's camp ready to negotiate, but what will Vikings do[/size]

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Knight Ridder Newspapers

A three-time Pro Bowl quarterback, Culpepper has been underpaid relative to other quarterbacks. Since he signed an incentive-laden, 10-year, $102 million contract in May 2003, his deal has been trumped by at least 18 NFL players.

His $15 million in guaranteed money was more than doubled by Peyton Manning of the Indianapolis Colts ($34.5 million) and Michael Vick of the Atlanta Falcons ($37 million). Even with the additional $7.5 million Wilf approved in August, Culpepper's total is still below those players, as well as Alex Smith ($24 million), who just finished his rookie season with the San Francisco 49ers, and Tom Brady ($26.5 million) of the New England Patriots.
    The thing is a soon as someone signs a contract then within a period of time it's going to be overtaken by others, thats a fact of life in any sports field.
    The report quotes 18 players have passed him since 2003 - thats not a lot when you consider that covers a 2 1/2 year period, there are 32 teams in the league and not all of those 18 players are QBs either. Some franchises are notorious for over paying on players and out of the 4 QBs quoted only one has shown provided any return for the money - Brady.

I'll agree that a ten-year deal was never going to run the full course and these days how many contracts do run the full term ? However to be looking at re-negotiating so soon, having had an adjustment in August, reminds me of a certain WR in Philly who did a similar thing.
    This may be a way of his agent getting him out of Minny without losing face, as he can then blame the Vikes for being unreasonable. He might want to be careful though as, unless his client can prove that he will be an asset in the WCO and is fully fit, he could find out that no player is indispensable.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Rastak is offline Rookie

He's gotta be kidding, right? The guys tears up his knee about as bad as you can and he wants to get paid as one of the best in the league....this after his worst season ever? If I were the Vikings front office and finally stopped laughing I'd say "okay, I get the point, you want to be traded and this is your cover story"

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

All i can say is there are many converations we don't know about..

there is many situational things being looked at and viewed we don't have access or privledges to know about.
    until these things come to light.. why does everyone believe that they KNOW what's going on? i mean if u were at your job and cause of some personal issues you were doing things not in the normal way.. but in full knowledge of your boss and in his full grace doing it!! but every co-worker you have started up 600 rumors about what's going on and other bs that causes poeple to loose faith/trust in you.. or when you return everyone looks on you a bit different..

ok?

lets see what happenes.. argueing over what we BELIEVE is going on will never bring forth the best of situations..

i'd just say.. discuss what u want.. but why bash a guy or his intentions if u don't konw what they are? if he comes out and says something like.. '"Unless i get what i deserve i wanna go to a place that will offer me it" then i don't wanna give credit to someone opionin that this is what he's doin..

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

Del Rio Guest

This should be gold.

I mean he needs to HONOR is contract right?

People were tearing Brad Johnson up and all he said is HE WOULD LIKE TO START! "Brad needs to shut up and honor his contract"

It's threads like these that gives you a window into who you should simply fucking ignore.

Lets see the sympathy train roll into town for old C-pep.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Del Rio" wrote:
    This should be gold.

I mean he needs to HONOR is contract right?

People were tearing Brad Johnson up and all he said is HE WOULD LIKE TO START! "Brad needs to shut up and honor his contract"

It's threads like these that gives you a window into who you should simply fricken ignore.

Lets see the sympathy train roll into town for old C-pep.
    You are talking about ignoring the thread subjectee & not the thread originator...................................right ? :???:

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast