Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Culpepper, Williams claim discrimination in boat party case

Posted on Thu, Mar. 02, 2006

[size=18px]Culpepper, Williams claim discrimination in boat party case[/size]

Associated Press

MINNEAPOLIS - Lawyers for Minnesota Vikings Daunte Culpepper and Moe Williams have accused a prosecutor of racial discrimination, saying he charged black men but ignored possible crimes by two white men in the team's boat party scandal.

The attorneys served a motion Wednesday on prosecutor Steven Tallen asking for the dismissal of charges against the two players, the Star Tribune reported in a story for Thursday's editions.

Tallen, however, denied that race played any role in his decision on whom to charge, the newspaper said.

Culpepper, Williams and two other players face trial on misdemeanor charges of indecent conduct and lewdness for their alleged behavior on two cruise boats last October on Lake Minnetonka.

In their motion, defense attorneys Earl Gray, for Culpepper, and Joe Friedberg, for Williams, alleged that Hennepin County sheriff's investigators have evidence that the captain of one boat touched a woman's exposed breast with his mouth while he was at the wheel.

The papers allege this happened immediately after the manager of a strip club paid the woman and also touched her with his mouth.

Both the captain and club manager are white. The Star Tribune said it was not naming them because they had not been charged.

The newspaper said the captain declined to comment and the club manager said through an attorney that he has cooperated with investigators and did nothing to "directly break any laws."

An investigative report attached to the motion said the captain told a detective the club manager approached him with a woman, that he got "caught up in the moment, peer pressure," and that he regretted it. In a separate interview with a detective, the club manager said he saw sexual touching by the captain.

Tallen, who prosecutes misdemeanor cases for the Lake Minnetonka Conservation District, which has jurisdiction over the big suburban lake, accused the defense lawyers of playing "the race card" to cloud the real issues.

The alleged acts by the captain and club manager differ from those of the players, Tallen said, because only the manager, the captain and the woman were present, and the two men willingly participated in the contact with her. By contrast, he said, all of the players' alleged activity happened in front of unwilling crew members.

Stephen Doyle, an attorney for the boats' owner, Al & Alma's Restaurant and Cruises, expressed disappointment that anyone thought race was a factor in the case.

"I haven't seen any evidence of this," Doyle said. "I'm enormously sensitive to it."

The captain is related to the owners of Al & Alma's, the Star Tribune reported.

Tallen said the captain's statement to the detective wasn't enough evidence to charge him because, under the law, "you can't convict someone solely on their own confession." The woman was never identified, he added.

The prosecutor added that there wasn't enough evidence to charge the club manager over his alleged payment to the woman because "you can't convict a co-conspirator solely on the word of the other conspirator."

And, he said, the offense suggested by the defense motion - promoting prostitution - is a felony, which would have to be prosecuted by the county attorney's office. The sheriff's office did not present the case to the county attorney's office, which would have been standard procedure if investigators thought there was enough evidence to support a felony charge.

Gray said the crew's complaints offered enough corroboration of the captain's statement.

"There is substantially more evidence to charge them (the two white men) than my client," Gray said.

Culpepper and Williams are accused of getting lap dances during the party. Two other players, Fred Smoot and Bryant McKinnie, also have pleaded not guilty to misdemeanor charges over other alleged lewd acts.

They did not join in the motion for dismissal. Trials for the four are set for April and May.

Culpepper, Williams claim discrimination

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Del Rio Guest

Re: Culpepper, Williams claim discrimination in boat party c

Playing the race card.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Culpepper, Williams claim discrimination in boat party case

Holly Molly Little Buddy , is that Daunte Cullpepper of the Vikings over there?

I don't know Caption, But why does that other Captain have a mouth full of boobie Skipper?

Don't worrie Little Buddy, he must just be thirsty...

OH, that explains what I happened to see last night then Skipper...

Whats that Little Buddy?

Mr. Howell must have been thirsty too last night, he had his lips on Mary Ann's boobie....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Lotza is offline Team Alumni

"VikingNed" wrote:
    Holly Molly Little Buddy , is that Daunte Cullpepper of the Vikings over there?

I don't know Caption, But why does that other Captain have have a mouth full of boobie Skipper?

Don't worrie Little Buddy, he must just be thirsty...

OH, that explains what I happened to see last night then Skipper...

Whats that Little Buddy?

Mr. Howell must have been thirsty too last night, he had his lips on Mary Ann's boobie....

[img]http//i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/cebuned/giligan.jpg[/img]
    :sign5:

Go vikes!!

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

well..

you are busting D.C for what touching a buttox?

and the cap's gone and done his nursing baby imitation?

shrug.. i don't see what's the dif.. i mean if one group is ok because they are concenting adults.. what are the others? non-conecenting adults? where?
    i think some geeky service boys got jealous they wern't allowd to touch and made the call. as i'm sure that captain was as far away from that phone as any thoughts of him stopping the milking..

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

And they feel the need to drag this up....why? I think this is just a ploy to make THEM look like the victims in the case, rather than the accused.

Accuse everyone that did something on the boat or nobody. I don't think it is as much as a race deal but who does what for a living. If it was just the captin and the another non player this would have never made the news, the county and sheriff knows this, thats why they had to accuse the football players and not the nobodys that were doing the same thing if not worse.
    You republican whore!

mr.woo is offline Team Alumni

seems more and more nowadays people play the race card whnever something goes wrong
    woo out
    just two corn cobs shy of a bushel

purplegang is offline Starter

Race thing getting pretty old.....

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

I think they drag the boat case back up because Culpepper really does want to be traded (if you know what I mean)!
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast