Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Culpepper wants Moss to be Traded?

Posted on Thu, Feb. 10, 2005

Moss' time to go?

Culpepper says trade might be a solution

BY DON SEEHOLZER

Pioneer Press

In the 3½ weeks since the Vikings' season ended, Randy Moss and his future in Minnesota have been the talk of the NFL.

Wednesday, the strongest words came from Hawaii, where quarterback Daunte Culpepper weighed in on the Moss trade rumors following a practice for Sunday's Pro Bowl.

"He's my good friend, but you almost get to thinking that maybe enough is enough," Culpepper told the Associated Press. "And maybe the Vikings' organization has had enough."

Moss angered teammates when he walked off the field with two seconds remaining in a Jan. 2 loss at Washington and drew a $10,000 NFL fine for pretending to moon Green Bay fans the following week after scoring a touchdown.

The Vikings have denied they are shopping their star receiver, but that hasn't stopped speculation they will begin entertaining offers for Moss before the NFL trading period begins March 2. The Baltimore Ravens, Oakland Raiders and New York Jets reportedly are interested.

"It's not my decision, what happens with Randy," Culpepper said. "The Vikings organization makes that decision, and whatever they do, that's what's going to happen."

Earlier Wednesday, Vikings coach Mike Tice, in his most extensive comments on the subject, did his best to squelch the trade rumors.

"I just came out of our first extensive personnel meeting of the offseason," he said. "And the first line — players to be traded — was blank. I love Randy Moss. Where all this trade stuff is coming from, I don't know."

Tice attributed the rampant speculation to the way the season ended and the incidents in Green Bay and especially Washington, which he said was addressed with Moss that night.

"To me, it's a moot point," Tice said. "Randy and his agent are not demanding a trade and we are not looking to trade him. We are not shopping Randy Moss."

Moss, meanwhile, made his first public comments on a possible trade in a radio interview with KFAN that was posted to the station's Web site Wednesday.

"I don't really get caught up in trade rumors, 'cause this is a business," he said. "If I get traded from here... I'm gonna probably be a little sore, a little mad, but not at the organization — probably just because I'm leaving here, and (losing) the love that I've developed here of growing to love the game and Minnesota."

"If I get traded... I get traded," Moss said later in the same interview, which was recorded Friday as a promotion for his celebrity bass fishing tournament in June. "If not, then I'm going to do whatever I can do in my will to hopefully get something started."

If Moss sounds conflicted about whether he wants to stay or go, his agent said mixed emotions are involved.

"I think he's just taking some time off and really thinking about it right now," agent Dante DiTrapano said. "Like he said, he's learned to love the city of Minneapolis and has a lot of ties there. I think it would be bittersweet if he were traded, but there are a couple of teams and a couple of places he would like to go if it was possible."

DiTrapano declined to identify those teams or to make Moss available for a telephone interview.

Culpepper indicated he would be fine with whatever decision the Vikings make.

"There are a lot of things we can do to improve on defense, and some of that you might be able to do with a trade," he said. "We've also got a lot of guys who can get the job done if we just play together. That's the most important thing: all of us playing together as a team."

Briefly: Former Detroit Lions assistant Kevin Higgins got his second interview for the Vikings' vacant quarterbacks coach job Wednesday, spending the day with Tice's staff and accompanying them to dinner. Former San Francisco 49ers assistant Rich Olson will be in for his second interview today, and Tice plans to have his first choice have dinner Monday with Culpepper before making the hire official.

Sig Created by MinnesotaFury

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

I don't think he wants him to be traded, he just said that it may be the best for the team or something along those lines!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

zakvikes2k is offline Starter

It would help the situation a lot if Moss's teammates stood up for him and said it's important to keep him, so all this trade talk dies down. Coach Tice has done so, saying he actually "loves" Randy. Culpepper shouldn't be stubborn, by playing it cool, when he knows he needs Randy to keep his success and the team's success up. Culpepper should say he definitely wants Randy to stay, cause the team wouldn't be the same without him.
    Things you would NEVER hear a Green Bay Packer fan say:
    1."No kids in the back of the pick-up, it s just not safe."
    2."I ll take Shakespeare for 1000, Alex."
    3."Duct tape won t fix that."
    4."Checkmate."
    5."Nope, no more for me. I m driving tonight."

Watch the interview and it seems totally different than how that writer is portraying it. I watched the interview and Daunte very much wants Randy Moss with the Vikings.

Don't believe everything you read, writers can make a story go any way they want it to. This article is recieving a lot of attention because it has Daunte wanting Moss to be traded. This is not a story if you have actually seen the interview and heard Daunte talk.
    Skol!
    Go Vikings!

BigK is offline Training Camp

First of all Daunte did not say he wanted Moss traded,he's just going along the PR highway.He said he wants Randy to stay,if he goes they can be as successful,but it will be far more difficult if he leaves and alot easier if he stays due his talent. At least that 's what he said last night on Best Damn.This is just people misinterpreting and the crap weasel media misconstruing things as usual.

mvikes84 is offline Starter

Culpepper said "maybe enough is enough". that's a stab in the back to Moss. If it weren't for Moss, Cul woudn't have had half of the success that he has had. Talk about an ungrateful jerk!! I'd trade Cul before I would trade Moss.

Bdubya is offline Star Spokesman

"mvikes84" wrote:
    Culpepper said "maybe enough is enough". that's a stab in the back to Moss. If it weren't for Moss, Cul woudn't have had half of the success that he has had. Talk about an ungrateful jerk!! I'd trade Cul before I would trade Moss.
    Hmmm, thats a tough one, but I think I would probably trade Moss before I traded Culpepper.
    MC's run away when I kick it
    They act so chicken, they should come with a large drink and a biscuit
    -Canibus

jackyl is offline Hall of Famer

"mvikes84" wrote:
    Culpepper said "maybe enough is enough".
    he then followed it up by saying "And maybe the Vikings' organization has had enough." .... not that HE had.

so-cal vike is offline Team Alumni

Culpepper doesn't want Moss to be traded.
    Moss doesn't want to be traded.
    Most of fans don't want Moss to be traded.
    Moss ISN'T going to be traded.

If it does happen, then so be it, but it's not going to happen, so enough already.

XTAP59 is offline Coordinator

Moss makes the offense go, not Culpepper. Brad Johnson, Randall Cunningham, Jeff george, and Gus Frerotte had career games and seasons throwing the ball to Randy Moss. Culpepper has had that luxury as well.
    When Moss is out of the game, Culpeppers stats went way South. When Culpepper was out of games, the offense actually stepped up with Frerotte rallying the team.
    Not a knock on Culpepper here, just stating the facts. Moss makes the offense go.

LURKING ON THE GRASSY KNOLL
    http://lotgk.wordpress.com

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast