Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    magicci is offline Jersey Retired

Culpepper to start...but what i feard would happen...

[size=24px][/size]HAPPENED!!!

[size=12px][/size]look down

Childress: Culpepper staying put as starting QB
    Brad Childress makes a decision and makes sure his tenure with the Vikings won't begin with a dreaded quarterback controversy.
    Mark Craig, Star Tribune
    Last update: January 06, 2006 – 10:13 PM

Vikings coach Brad Childress nipped any quarterback controversy in the bud during his first day on the job.
    "Daunte Culpepper right now is the franchise quarterback," Childress said Friday in the Vikings' Winter Park locker room. "That's how they signed him. He's the guy. We'll just leave it at that."

Culpepper is coming off his worst season. He threw 12 interceptions, six touchdown passes and went 2-5 as a starter before tearing three ligaments in his left knee during the seventh game of the season. Veteran Brad Johnson stepped in and went 7-2 as a starter. He threw 12 touchdown passes and only four interceptions in 294 passes.

Johnson, who signed a four-year deal before this season, indicated strongly that he wants to remain a starter in the NFL. Culpepper has limited his comments to the media since the injury, but head athletic trainer Chuck Barta said Culpepper is on pace to return in time for training camp.

Childress had not spoken to Culpepper or Johnson as of Friday afternoon.

It would appear that Johnson is more suited to direct the version of the West Coast offense that Childress will bring with him from Philadelphia. Childress will hire an offensive coordinator but will call his own plays, which is how Eagles head coach Andy Reid operates.

"Brad Johnson is a talented guy who won a lot of games this year," Childress said. "I'm familiar with him, and he knows this system. He knows the lingo I'm going to bring in here."

Childress, however, said he believes players shouldn't lose starting positions because of injury. It also doesn't make sense financially to bench Culpepper, one of the highest-paid players in the league. Culpepper also is due a $6 million bonus in March.

Childress said he believes Culpepper can succeed in the West Coast offense, which relies on short, precise passes rather than on the deep balls that landed Culpepper in three Pro Bowls.
    Culpepper and Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb were drafted in the first round of the 1999 draft. McNabb went second overall and Culpepper 11th. Childress worked out both of them before the draft.

"We saw Daunte Culpepper work out first, and I thought I would never see another workout like that as long as I lived," Childress said. "The next workout was Donovan McNabb. And saw another one ... that was mind-boggling.

"In my mind, we got the No. 1 player, but Daunte was a very close second. He fits right into all the things that we'll do."

Childress was McNabb's quarterbacks coach for his first three seasons and has been credited with developing McNabb into one of the league's best quarterbacks. Many believe Culpepper regressed this season because he lost offensive coordinator-quarterbacks coach Scott Linehan, who left after last season to join the Dolphins.

"I've helped develop a franchise quarterback," Childress said. "And that development started from the draft, riding down from the draft with the playbook in the back of a limousine, getting him ready for the minicamp at the end of that week."

Culpepper won't be back in time for minicamps this year. But make no mistake about it. When he's healthy again, he will be, in the words of the new boss, "the guy."

i didnt want westcoast here.

Re: Culpepper to start...but what i feard would happen...

also i think this greatly slowed down troy's progress.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

I too am not to happy with the fact that we have to implement the west coast offense.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

It sounds to me like what I said before is true. If CP can't learn how to read defenses and develop a quick release he isn't going to stay here in MN. It sounds more to me like Childress is saying he is going to give him the chance to be the guy. :wink:

WWBGD

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    I too am not to happy with the fact that we have to implement the west coast offense.
    I like it. All year we've all been complaining that Tice didn't run the same offense with Culpepper as he did with Brad, and that our old offense was far too vertical for our offensive line and recievers. We all clamored for shorter routes and more timing with Daunte so he wouldn't have to hold the ball as long. The west coast style offense is pretty much what we ran with Brad so this type of offense is exactly what we need, IMO.

i think Pepp is too old to start learning a totally new offense. Maybe not too old but he has been in this offense for five almost 6 years, its gonna be hard to teach him the west coast offense. Coaches say it takes at least three years to get good in the WCO. I don't like it.
    6949da5ce3db19514b6088f4f00ffabd

DaunteHOF is offline Coach

NOOOOO!!!! We have receivers for the bomb plays!!
    Its not braggin if you can do it!!!

jaymz7 is offline Asst. Coach

Why is everyone so down on the west coast offense? Apparently the system we have used has not worked. If you have read some of the highlights on Childress you would see that going to the west coast offense might not be as bad as you might think.

This info is from vikings.com:

The Eagles offense under Childress was able to excel while adjusting to personnel transition and injuries. The team ranked in the NFL's top 10 in total offense twice in the past four seasons and has assembled numerous individual achievements. In the four seasons Childress guided the offense the team amassed 5,000+ yards each season, averaging 333.8 yards per game in that span. The Eagles can attribute much of their recent success to limiting turnovers. The 2003 Eagles led the NFC and set a team record with only 22 turnovers. The 2004 team matched that total and ranked 3rd in the NFC. The 44 turnovers in the two-season span ranked 3rd in the NFL. Despite starting three different players at quarterback, the 2002 Eagles set a team record with 415 points.

The Eagles offense since 2000 has featured seven players who have earned 14 berths in the Pro Bowl, highlighted by signal caller Donovan McNabb who has been honored with five berths in the all-star game. Joining McNabb in Hawaii over the past six seasons were TE Chad Lewis (three times), T Tra Thomas (twice), G Jermane Mayberry (once), T Jon Runyan (once), WR Terrell Owens (once) and RB Brian Westbrook (once).

Childress worked with McNabb since his rookie season in 1999 when he signed on as the Eagles QB coach. McNabb has emerged as one of the top QBs in the NFL during the past seven seasons and established an NFL record in 2004 as the first QB to throw for 30+ touchdowns and less than 10 interceptions. The Eagles offense set franchise records in several areas in the 2004 run to Super Bowl XXXIX, including team passer rating (96.4), completion percentage (61.4%) and gross passing yardage (4,208). In 2000 McNabb was runner-up in the Associated Press MVP voting, he has earned NFC/NFL Offensive Player of the Week honors eight times and has been recognized as NFC Offensive Player of the Month three times. McNabb has etched his name throughout the Philadelphia record book, claiming single-season marks in 2004 in passer rating (104.7), completion percentage (64.0%) and passing yards (3,875).

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Childress is one of the best if not the best at Developing QB's. I think the guy knows what hes doing more then us.In Fact I know he knows more then us. If Culpepper can just heal from this injury he will come back and strive in this offense. Culpepper is still young and can still adapt to a new offense.We're not tryin to teach Rich Gannon a new system....Daunte will return to true form. I'm glad Childress is set on him.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

I still dont like it. Culpepper has excelled in our offense. We still have the personnel for our vertical offense. And about the west coast offense thats what checkdowns are for.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast