Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    happy camper is offline Team Alumni

Re: Culpepper might be unhappy...........

whats the big deal about atheletes making so much money?

thier job is in high demade. players can say "im not comming to work until i get paid more" because their job is in high demade, and if the player wants out, then the vikings cant just go get another daunte culpepper.

now, for us "normal people" its different. why? because if we say "im not comming to work until i get paid more" its easy to go out and find another accountant, or another construction worker or another mcdonalds employee.

now, for us "normal people" if we have a job, and we are great at it, and nobody else can do it. we can walk in and ask for more money and get it. because you're in demand. if nobody else can do your job like you can, you can demand more money.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"happy camper" wrote:

thier job is in high demade. players can say "im not comming to work until i get paid more" because their job is in high demade, and if the player wants out, then the vikings cant just go get another daunte culpepper.

now, for us "normal people" its different. why? because if we say "im not comming to work until i get paid more" its easy to go out and find another accountant, or another construction worker or another mcdonalds employee.

now, for us "normal people" if we have a job, and we are great at it, and nobody else can do it. we can walk in and ask for more money and get it. because you're in demand. if nobody else can do your job like you can, you can demand more money.
    A very valid set of points...minus one element. He signed a CONTRACT. I didn't. No one I work with did. No one I deal with on a regular basis did. Culpepper - and every other professional athlete - did.

The reason he was able to sign said contract in the first place is that he is personally valuable. He's a gifted athlete. Obviously, the Vikings desire his services. So, an agreement was reached whereby his services would be made available to the Vikings in exchanged for a predetermined rate of compensation.

And that's the same story all over professional sports. Agreements are reached, and contracts are signed.

In recent years, however, the trend of "Renegotiation" has become increasingly popular. Due, no doubt, to the foolish teams in the 80's and 90's that agreed to "renegotiate" with a petulant athlete. None of them HAD to...but they all got weak in the knees and caved in.

Now, however, teams like Philadelphia and Green Bay have said, "Enough"...and I applaud that.

The bottom line is "YOU signed that contract". The players had representation there, it isn't like they were led to the table by the greedy owner and wound up trading Manhattan for a bunch of beads and blankets. They were represented by someone who understands the gobbldy-gook in contracts, and who was trying to sign the best deal possible.

Now, as the benchmark raises, they suddenly realize, "Oh snap!! I would be worth MORE money if I was on the market". But YOU AREN"T ON THE MARKET, DUMMY!!!!!

If players don't want to be overtaken financially, sign shorter deals. That reduces the chances of a team cutting you to save roster bonuses or to eliminate the heavy end of your deal. Of course, that also means that the burden to perform lies heavier upon you. Fewer guarantees and so forth.

Someday, the players will have to learn that they can't have it both ways. I just wish that more teams would grow a set and stand firm.

Caine

ColoradoVike is offline Pro-Bowler

"shockzilla" wrote:
    Turn this situation around for a minute: If you or I, or any of us "normal" citizens, were to want to "renegotiate" our salaries in mid-work, what do you think would happen? We'd be either laughed off the job or fired. I just think that these highly-overpaid "athletes" live in a totally different world than you or I, and it's really ridiculous the amount of money these guys make, compared to some teacher's salaries (right, VS?). My feeling is, you sign a contract, you HONOR that contract - no ifs, ands or buts, PERIOD. Then, at the end of the contract, look to make more money. I'm tired of doling out MY hard-earned paycheck for tickets and paraphenalia, just to keep these people in their Maserati's and bling-bling.
    as happy camper points out, comparing elite NFL players to construction workers, accountants, or middle managers is like comparing chimpanzees to bananas. Quite simply, players like Culpepper have much more power to influence the conditions under which they are employed. They're more on par with CEOs of fortune 500 companies and so you really can't learn much from comparing them to "normal people"; such a comparison is really out of context.

Most players know that in a multi-year year contract, the last 2-3 years likely won't be honored by the team or at least could not be. So if teams have that much power, why shouldn't players too? Let me turn it around on you shock, if you learned that your peers at other companies were making perhaps 20-30% more than you, for doing the same work, wouldn't you find a way to catch up with them? I think anyone with any sense of economic rationality would say "yes."

And yes, HC points out, this article is complete speculation. The author has no concrete leads, no facts other than a player wasn't at camp. HE might be right, but I don't see anything credible in the article to support that hypothesis.

VikemanX84 is offline Hall of Famer

First I agree that this is blown way out of proportion. Daunte might want a new cantract, and he probably deserves one, but he isn't going to hold out in the middle of training camp.

Second, If I wanted more money, I'd go out and get another job that pays more. Then I suppose if my current work wanted me enough they would offer me more money then the other job offer. It happened to this LadyI worked with. Unhappy with making 6 dollars an hour she went and got a new got at BP which paid 8. She was a good employee so in order to keep her my boss offered her the 8 dollars an hour to stay at Taco Bell, she chose BP anyway, but hey, thats how I'd negoiate more money. It seems to me players are just doing that "Hey, Washington will be a bazillion dollars so either you give me a raise on par with that or I'll hold-out until you trade me to them".

Also, If owners can just cut players after signing contract with them, why can't players work out new deals?

There are a lot of these problems in football. And it has to be brough under control for the good of the game. I'm not sure guarenteing contracts is a good idea just because of salary cap purposes but we have to do something.

I don't have to much of a problem with a player who has proven himself holding out, what really frosts me is when Rookies hold out. I really think that rookies should get a set salary based on position drafted. there is no way Alex Smith should be getting the ammount of money he is. Also it is so important for rookies to be on camp on time. I think each rookie should get a 3 year contract for a set ammount for each pick (#1 pick gets a 3-year 9 million dollar contract) but those should be guarenteed. And then when that contract is up they should be a Restricted Free Agent that year and that year could be like their rookie year as far as contracts go. I think this would go a long way in making sure that rookie salaries don't cripple a teams salary cap (because they shouldn't) but it protects the rookie and the team better.

I guess with Veterans holding out, we could have some kind of arbitration things (only a better system than baseball). If a player wants to hold out then the case is heard by the league and based on when he signed the contract, the current contract, the age of the player, and how he has done the last 2-3 years. It can't be like baseball tho where Kyle Lohse gets more money for posting an ERA of over 5, thats dumb.
    When it s all said and done, you ll have to admit we re number 1!

DaunteHOF is offline Coach

don't mess this season up, I want this superbowl, everything needs to be smooth...
    Its not braggin if you can do it!!!

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

"Caine" wrote:
    "happy camper" wrote:

A very valid set of points...minus one element. He signed a CONTRACT. I didn't. No one I work with did. No one I deal with on a regular basis did. Culpepper - and every other professional athlete - did.

The reason he was able to sign said contract in the first place is that he is personally valuable. He's a gifted athlete. Obviously, the Vikings desire his services. So, an agreement was reached whereby his services would be made available to the Vikings in exchanged for a predetermined rate of compensation.

And that's the same story all over professional sports. Agreements are reached, and contracts are signed.

In recent years, however, the trend of "Renegotiation" has become increasingly popular. Due, no doubt, to the foolish teams in the 80's and 90's that agreed to "renegotiate" with a petulant athlete. None of them HAD to...but they all got weak in the knees and caved in.

Now, however, teams like Philadelphia and Green Bay have said, "Enough"...and I applaud that.

The bottom line is "YOU signed that contract". The players had representation there, it isn't like they were led to the table by the greedy owner and wound up trading Manhattan for a bunch of beads and blankets. They were represented by someone who understands the gobbldy-gook in contracts, and who was trying to sign the best deal possible.

Now, as the benchmark raises, they suddenly realize, "Oh snap!! I would be worth MORE money if I was on the market". But YOU AREN"T ON THE MARKET, DUMMY!!!!!

If players don't want to be overtaken financially, sign shorter deals. That reduces the chances of a team cutting you to save roster bonuses or to eliminate the heavy end of your deal. Of course, that also means that the burden to perform lies heavier upon you. Fewer guarantees and so forth.

Someday, the players will have to learn that they can't have it both ways. I just wish that more teams would grow a set and stand firm.

Caine
    teams dont have to honor a conract they make with a player. so why should a player not have the right to renegotiate?

they shouldnt even call it a contract. neither side stays with them. they should call them 'agreements for the time being'.

caine, you're right. i really think you're right. the only thing is, i beleive the player can renegotiate, because if the team wants to, they can. everyone thinks its right when the team does it.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

Last update: August 7, 2005 at 1:42 PM
    Vikings reach agreement on Culpepper contract, including hefty raise
    Kevin Seifert, Star Tribune
    August 8, 2005 VIKE0808.OL

The Vikings reached agreement today on a restructured contract for quarterback Daunte Culpepper, one that includes a major pay raise.

Rob Brzezinski, the Vikings' vice president of football operations, confirmed the deal was struck. He would not reveal specifics but called the pay raise "significant."

Culpepper signed a 10-year, $102 million contract prior to the 2003 season. That deal was largely incentive-based, however. Culpepper received a $2.5 million roster bonus in March, but according to NFL Players Association records, his base salary for this season would have been $540,000.

The new deal will guarantee Culpepper higher salaries throughout his career with the Vikings.

"He's a premier player in this league," Brzezinski said.

Kevin Seifert is at [email protected]

Read this over at VikingUpdate.com

Sig Created by MinnesotaFury

"shockzilla" wrote:
    Turn this situation around for a minute: If you or I, or any of us "normal" citizens, were to want to "renegotiate" our salaries in mid-work, what do you think would happen? We'd be either laughed off the job or fired. I just think that these highly-overpaid "athletes" live in a totally different world than you or I, and it's really ridiculous the amount of money these guys make, compared to some teacher's salaries (right, VS?). My feeling is, you sign a contract, you HONOR that contract - no ifs, ands or buts, PERIOD. Then, at the end of the contract, look to make more money. I'm tired of doling out MY hard-earned paycheck for tickets and paraphenalia, just to keep these people in their Maserati's and bling-bling.
    maybe your in the wrong field . you should have played football .

look if you don't think they're worth the money don't buy the tickets and merchandise . they can make the money because the nfl has cornered the market . if they weren't worth the money they would not get the money . they make such a great product that they can charge the prices they do and they can pay the contracts they do .

it may be a shame that our top paid employees are mear entertainers . but it it right that thousands died in the gladiator games ? the public gets what they want . and the market is the nfl , not the afl , or the canadian league . they don't make near the money . why not ? they do the same thing . no demand .

so if your contract doesn't buy porche's or marble counter tops , who's fault is it? corner your market!!

and as far as asking for a raise i'm sure that it happens all the time . being a skilled auto mechanic . i am sure to ask $1 raise every 6 months to a year . do i get laughed off the job? no . do i get fired? no . they either give me the dollar or risk losing me as a mechanic . out of 8 yrs of mechanics i have only been turned down once . but found another job paying $2 more an hour .

http://justlube.net/?page_id=44

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Looks like this whole discussion is a MOOT point...as far as Pep is concerned. The Vikes stepped up...now we can move on with no problems! Sorry Los! LOL
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

run_ronnie is offline Waterboy

deal re-worked

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2127999

sorry if this is a dual post

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast