Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Prophet Guest

Culpepper to meet with Childress

KFFL
    Vikings | Culpepper to meet with Childress
    Mon, 9 Jan 2006 06:24:12 -0800

Sid Hartman, of the Star Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings injured QB Daunte Culpepper (knee) has agreed to fly to the Twin Cities from Orlando this week to spend some time visiting with new head coach Brad Childress. "I spoke to Daunte Saturday morning. I had a nice conversation with him," Childress said. "I will have a chance to sit down face-to-face with him here later in the week." Childress wants to tell Culpepper how valuable he is to the team. Apparently, Culpepper is making good progress after undergoing surgery to repair his knee.

ChezPizmo is offline Coordinator

Re: Culpepper to meet with Childress

"Prophet" wrote:
    KFFL
    Vikings | Culpepper to meet with Childress
    Mon, 9 Jan 2006 06:24:12 -0800

Sid Hartman, of the Star Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings injured QB Daunte Culpepper (knee) has agreed to fly to the Twin Cities from Orlando this week to spend some time visiting with new head coach Brad Childress. "I spoke to Daunte Saturday morning. I had a nice conversation with him," Childress said. "I will have a chance to sit down face-to-face with him here later in the week." Childress wants to tell Culpepper how valuable he is to the team. Apparently, Culpepper is making good progress after undergoing surgery to repair his knee.
    That's good. The injury he suffered is a bad injury with a quite long recovery time (I think at one time I heard the average time of recovery for the injury he suffered is a year and a half).
    But I'm glad to see he is going up to actually meet his new coach. It will kind of being like him being back after all this time away from the game.
    [size=11pt]"The only thing better than food & football is maybe Brett Favre."

[size=8pt]

-John Madden on Thanksgiving while on "Mike & Mike In The Morning"

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

I'de love to be a fly on the wall when those two meet..

It's good news to see PeP, getting out and about........

I sure hope his rehab is a succesful one, and maybe this is what PeP needs himself, a new Coach and a new plan for the future..

I've always been a firm believer, Pep is one of the top 5 QB's in the league, and is a very big part of our future.....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni

Fukk him. I hope they ship his a$$ off top Arizona !

ColoradoVike is offline Pro-Bowler

The knee is 100% repaired. DC now begins the uphill marathon of rehabilitation: building up atrophied muscles, breaking down scar tissue, re-learning how to balance, and learning to trust his instincts again (and allowing himself to react to them).

As I understand it, athletes who are in the position to be extraordinarily committed to rehab, they can go back to competitive play about 10-12 months after the surgery in a best case scenario. A great part of being fully recovered is having the psychological comfort that you can make all those cuts you want to make down the field, run into traffic, or even take a hit with out re-injuring yourself. Gaining that bit of mental fitness takes more time that many would think. Sports medicine common sense estimates that it takes about twice as long to be mentally rehabed as it does to be physically rehabed. It could be 1-2 years before DC feels 100%, that is, that he can do everything on the field that he wants and needs to do.

ColoradoVike is offline Pro-Bowler

"2beersTommy" wrote:
    I love the impromptu intellectual stimulation I can get here at PP.O

:roll:

We need more people like drunken sailor Tommy here to contribute to the community here in PP.Om that will really enliven the discussions and open the doors to new perspectives.

michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

"2beersTommy" wrote:
    :shock:

Prophet Guest

Posted on Mon, Jan. 09, 2006
    Daunte should fit scheme
    He'll thrive under coach, 2 Eagles say
    Link
    BY DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press

The question came up even before Brad Childress was introduced Friday as the Vikings' head coach:

How will Daunte Culpepper fit into the West Coast offense Childress is bringing with him from the Philadelphia Eagles?

According to two players who played in that offense during Childress' seven seasons as the Eagles' quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator, the answer is: quite well.

"I think it's a good fit," backup quarterback Koy Detmer said. "Coach Childress has worked with Donovan (McNabb) and obviously has helped him have success. Daunte's had success in the offensive system they've been running there. As long as everyone buys into Brad's system, it should be good for Daunte and everyone involved on offense."

Tight end Chad Lewis agreed, adding that Culpepper should be excited about the opportunity to play for this coach in this offense.

"I think he should feel just like Donovan felt," Lewis said. "(McNabb has) been one of the best quarterbacks in the league the last five years, and a lot of that is due to Brad. He understands how to use a quarterback's arm and intelligence. I know Brad is just champing at the bit at the chance to work with someone as talented as Daunte Culpepper."

Culpepper tore three ligaments in his right knee in an Oct. 30 loss at Carolina and is in the early stages of a lengthy rehabilitation, but Childress already has said he'll be the No. 1 quarterback, when healthy.

"Daunte Culpepper right now is the franchise quarterback," Childress said Friday. "That's how they signed him. He's the guy."

West Coast fans: Running back Mewelde Moore, one of a handful of Vikings players who attended Friday's press conference, said he's looking forward to playing in Childress' offense.

"I'm a do-it-all back," he said. "I can pound it, run with finesse, run with strength and run and make guys miss. The West Coast offense gives you the opportunity to do all those things just because there are times when you're going to be able to do the power thing and there are times when you're going to be able to go out there and play wide receiver. I'm real excited because it's the type of style I've played before."

Jermaine Wiggins, the Vikings' leading receiver in each of the past two seasons, said this offense seems tight end-friendly as well.

"Chad Lewis went to a couple of Pro Bowls, and L.J. Smith had success out there," he said, "so I'm just going to keep doing what I've been doing. The main thing for me is get the playbook and let's get ready to roll."

Right guard Adam Goldberg said there's no reason why what worked for the Eagles shouldn't work just as well for the Vikings.

"I think their offense has been pragmatic," he said. "They do what works and they don't apologize for it. They find ways to get the ball to their playmakers. The one that sticks out in my mind is Brian Westbrook is everywhere for them. He's in the backfield, he's in the slot, he's motioning in and out of things. I think that just shows the flexibility and drive to get things done on offense, and I'm excited to be a part of that."

Briefly: Much has been made of the fact that Eagles coach Andy Reid, not Childress, called the plays in Philadelphia, but Detmer said that shouldn't concern anyone.

"I don't think so, because at times he was calling some of the plays and he always had a big hand in putting together the game plan," Detmer said. "Whether he was calling the plays or not, he always had a big say in what was going to get called. I don't think that's an issue at all."

Don Seeholzer can be reached at [email protected]

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

So basically, it's perfect! Mwahahahaha!

Anywho, I hope that meeting between Daunte and Childress goes well. I'm looking forward to those guys working together. I think it could be a healthy marriage.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

I think 2 beersTommy was over his limit!
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast