UndisputedVike is offline Coordinator

Culpepper, Johnson Neck and Neck.

Culpepper, Johnson have nearly identical numbers. For those who believe that Daunte Culpepper would be doing a better job at quarterback for the Vikings than Brad Johnson is doing, it might be interesting to know that going into today's games, Culpepper had a quarterback rating of 77.0 for the Dolphins while Brad Johnson is at 75.8 but for a team with a better record.

The Vikings, with Johnson, are 2-2 against very tough competition, while Culpepper and Miami are 1-3 and lost last week to the hapless Houston Texans.

Through four games, both quarterbacks have almost identical statistics. Culpepper has completed 81 of 134 passes for 929 yards with two touchdowns and three interceptions. Johnson has completed 81 of 136 passes for 927 yards with two touchdowns and three interceptions.

The big difference: Johnson has been sacked seven times for 39 yards, while Culpepper has been sacked 21 times for 150 yards.

And checking on Randy Moss, who has been ripping Oakland coach Art Shell, the Raiders have passed for a total of only 326 yards in starting the season 0-3. Oakland is 27-for-70 passing (38.6 percent).

In three games, Moss has caught only seven passes for 84 yards -- an average of 12 yards per catch. His long reception is 20 yards, and he has scored one touchdown.

Moss is telling close friends that he would do anything to either join his former Vikings teammate Culpepper with Miami, or better yet come back to the Vikings, as he still has a home here.

Johnson satisfied

Asked to grade the Vikings offense and himself in the four games to date, Johnson said: "I think we've been very solid, as a whole. We will continue to improve. I feel like we've had four chances to win every ballgame we've been in. We had two game-winning drives, and we continue to get better."

While there has been some criticism that the highly paid offensive line is not helping produce touchdowns, Johnson said the line has been solid in pass protection, has picked up blitzes very well and that some of the sacks have been coverage sacks. And he added that the five linemen are still getting used to working as a unit.

"They're learning each other, and it does take time," Johnson said. "People don't want to give you time because it is a win-now process, but those guys are getting better up front, and I feel very confident in what we're going to be able to accomplish this year."

On today's opponent, Johnson pointed out that the Lions lost to the 4-0 Bears and then the 3-1 Rams in high-scoring games the past two weeks and that they seem to have improved every week despite their 0=4 record.

Better be sure

Edina's Bernie Kukar, who retired as a NFL official after 22 years, before this season once told me that one thing you better make sure of is that you are right when you call a penalty that will decide a game.

Well, if Kukar had been working the Gophers-Penn State game Saturday he wouldn't have called pass interference on Trumaine Banks on a fourth-down situation in overtime that gave the Nittany Lions the opportunity to win the game.

The local television crew that worked the game questioned the call. And Lou Holtz on ESPN's studio show said he thought it was a bad call.

Then there was another situation with the Gophers going for it on fourth-and-1 on the Penn State 14-yard line late in the second quarter.

It was a quarterback sneak. Bryan Cupito, who never complains, said he was confident he made a yard for the first down, but instead the official spotted the ball as a no-gain, giving the ball to Penn State in a crucial situation.

This is a game the Gophers should have won despite the officiating. They missed an extra point on their overtime touchdown. Dominic Jones fumbled on the Gophers 9 to give the Nittany Lions their first touchdown.

Then on the interference call, had Banks let Deon Butler catch the ball, the yardage would not have been enough for a first down, according to Roy Tutt, an observer of Big Ten officials.

You can rest assured the Big Ten will hear from the Gophers on the bad job, for both sides, that Saturday's officiating crew did.

sandviking is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Culpepper, Johnson Neck and Neck.

That's what I like about Johnson vs. Culpepper.
    Johnson can see a positive outcome, while Culp would point out the faults in the line, the coach, the play calling, etc.
    Same with Moss.
    The Vikes may not be the best team right now (don't throw stones at me) but they are on their way to being a great TEAM.
    Great post, UndisputedVike!!!

Peace through superior firepower!

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Undisputed, did you write this or does there need to be a credit line somewhere?

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

"snowinapril" wrote:
    Undisputed, did you write this or does there need to be a credit line somewhere?

Yes, I was wondering the same thing.. If this is Undisputed writing this, then I would like some truth to this statement right here..

Moss is telling close friends that he would do anything to either join his former Vikings teammate Culpepper with Miami, or better yet come back to the Vikings, as he still has a home here.

sandviking is offline Pro-Bowler

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:

Yes, I was wondering the same thing.. If this is Undisputed writing this, then I would like some truth to this statement right here..

When hadees freezes over!

Peace through superior firepower!

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

They already are not letting Porter play.
    There is no way they will let Randy go this year.
    The one thing I have not heard from anyone on the team is that what Randy is saying is wrong.
    The Raiders suck plain and simple and do not play like a team that cares.
    I suppose Randy could just keep his mouth shut but would that help the Raiders get better?
    The reason Red traded him from here is because he told Red the reason we were failing in the playoffs is because Red was a cheap a$$ and wasn't using the 30 mil cap he had to buy a defense.
    Was Randy right about that?
    You bet he was.
    Is he right about the Raiders.
    I suspect so.
    Personally I would love to see him back in purple and gold.

WWBGD