Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    digital420 is offline Team Alumni

Culpepper has well-connected voice in corner

I saw this.. searched and didin't see it posted so here's the link and article.

http://www.startribune.com/508/story/223307.html
    Culpepper has well-connected voice in corner
    Insider Cris Carter says a wounded Daunte isn't getting his due from the Vikings.

DETROIT - There was evidence Thursday at the downtown Marriott that Cris Carter's profile has not suffered during the four years since he concluded putting up Hall of Fame receiving numbers for the Vikings.

Carter had finished up a football show on Sirius Satellite Radio. The show runs three days a week, from the opening of training camps in late July through the Super Bowl.

"I've been doing this for a couple of years," Carter said. "It's a schedule that keeps you involved, but it doesn't get in the way of other things."

Satellite radio is not the source of Carter's ongoing popularity. He appears with Dan Marino, Cris Collinsworth and Bob Costas on HBO's "Inside the NFL," a show with an immense following.

That's why Carter was greeted with cries of "Love you on HBO, Cris" and pleas for autographs by the folks hanging on the railing above the Super Bowl's Radio Row.

"We have the longest-running NFL show and we have HBO," Carter said. "You can't beat that combination. Being on 'Inside the NFL' brings notoriety, and it brings credibility."

Yes, our guy Cris has become a pro football sage. With that in mind, he was asked a simple question: "What's your opinion on what's happening with your team?"

The Vikings are Carter's team. And he didn't need a further hint to understand the real meaning of the question: What's happening with Daunte Culpepper?

"I haven't talked to Daunte lately," Carter said. "I will, but when the time is right. I knew things were stirred up when he fired his agent. I'm not exactly sure what's going on, but I do know this: Daunte has a horrible contract. I knew from the day he signed it that eventually there was going to be a big problem."

Culpepper's deal was announced after the 2002 season. It was advertised as a 10-year, $102 million contract. In actuality, it was $76 million for 11 years, and with way too much of that money backloaded into the last two or three seasons.

Last summer, Culpepper started looking for some cash early, rather than late. He now has $6 million due in mid-March. He's asked for more guaranteed money at least twice in recent weeks and has been turned down by Zygi Wilf and his people. The possibility of the Vikings trading Culpepper before that $6 million comes due has been a topic of much conversation this week on Radio Row.

"Everyone connected with the Vikings -- management, fans -- has to remember this: Daunte is one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL," Carter said. "So far, he's had a winding path in the NFL. He started off great, he fell back some, then he was fabulous, and then last year ... so many things went wrong, including playing behind an awful offensive line, and then the knee injury.

"What scares me, as a Viking, is what the other team will be getting if we decide to trade Daunte. That would be unbelievable to me."

Carter has said in the past -- and again Thursday -- that Culpepper is a very emotional person, even sensitive.

"It's very important to Daunte, to any quarterback, to know that the people he works for and his teammates have confidence in him," Carter said. "There's a new owner, a new coach, a new staff, a new everything. I can see Daunte flying to Minnesota to ask one question: 'Do you believe in me, or don't you believe in me?'

"People don't understand this kid. His mom gave him away after he was born. He made himself a great quarterback in high school, but he didn't get to go to the big schools -- to Miami, Florida and Florida State. He wound up at Central Florida.

"All his life, he had been rejected and he fought through it, and he became a Pro Bowl quarterback. I can hear him saying, 'And now you want me to prove myself again?' He's killing himself every day, rehabbing his knee to get ready for next season, and he's not sure they look at him as the leader of their team.

"I think the emotions he's going through right now are understandable. I just hope the new people in charge don't panic.

"I can't imagine two darker years for the Minnesota Vikings than trading Randy Moss one year and Daunte Culpepper the next. These are the most talented men to play their positions in the history of the franchise."

good to see us getting some positive publicity from NFL shows!!

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Culpepper has well-connected voice in corner

This was excellent information from our boy Cris.

It paints a better picture to the public as to why DC is acting the way he is & why he fired his agent.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

renovikesfan is offline Coordinator

This gives a different perspective on where Daunte's coming from, and makes me change my opinion a little. Nice to see CC's in his corner. Good find, digital.

I understand Brad Johnson's point of view of wanting to be the starter, too, because it's a natural instinct for any true competitor...but he has to remember and respect the fact that this is DAUNTE'S team. He didn't walk onto a team that had a Kyle Boller or Joey Harrington type of player at the QB position. BJ came in with the knowledge beforehand that he would be a back-up for Daunte. I appreciate his contribution to the 6 game winning streak in the middle of the season, but *IF* he was all that and a bag of chips, we wouldn't have lost the games to the Steelers and Ravens, and would have had a post-season. IMO, he really needs to just keep his trap shut, perform the duties that are asked of him and wait for either his contract to expire so he can pursue a starting position elsewhere, or wait until he's given the nod by his coaches.

JM2CW

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Daunte has a horrible contract. I knew from the day he signed it that eventually there was going to be a big problem."
    But the point is he did sign it!

Last summer, Culpepper started looking for some cash early, rather than late. He now has $6 million due in mid-March. He's asked for more guaranteed money at least twice in recent weeks and has been turned down by Zygi Wilf and his people.
    Wait a minute Cris. You forgot to add in there that Zygi did give him what he asked for last summer. What you are talking about now isn't due until March and Zygi says he will pay it because he promised it.

last year ... so many things went wrong, including playing behind an awful offensive line, and then the knee injury.
    Yup, it's all the lines fault. Culpepper did nothing wrong! While I agree that the line was terrible, so was Culpepper.

"It's very important to Daunte, to any quarterback, to know that the people he works for and his teammates have confidence in him," Carter said. "There's a new owner, a new coach, a new staff, a new everything. I can see Daunte flying to Minnesota to ask one question: 'Do you believe in me, or don't you believe in me?'
    So where has Daunte been and what's he done to help this situation? Sulking in Florida rather than rehabbing where he has been asked. Avoid his teammates and all their phone calls. Meeting with management only to ask for more money. What kind of a team leader is this? What kind of confidence does this inspire?
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Just to be clear, he is not asking for more money. He is asking for more of the money that's already in his contract to be guaranteed.

It isn't uncommon for players to restructure there contract. It should have taken place after the 2004 season & before the 2005, but it didn't, even thoughh they tried, due to the changing of the ownership from cheap-ass Red to Zygi.

Del Rio Guest

Yeah the lack of guaranteed money looks like it was a great idea atm, considering you would be paying a guy to sit and be injured.

Good move on the orgs part.

"Del Rio" wrote:
    Yeah the lack of guaranteed money looks like it was a great idea atm, considering you would be paying a guy to sit and be injured.

Good move on the orgs part.
    And what would you have said last season?

Del Rio Guest

Last season? The season he had astronomical numbers?

I'd say hook him up with a long term 100 million dollar contract and make sure he gets a 6 million dollar roster bonus.........

Oh wait.............we did that.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    So where has Daunte been and what's he done to help this situation? Sulking in Florida rather than rehabbing where he has been asked.
    Right, he has just been sulking in Florida, not rehabbing at all :roll: . Never mind the fact that he is not only still in shape, but has managed to keep the weight of. Ask anyone who has been through a major surgery like that how hard that is. Who cares where he does it. If I recall correctly, Cris Carter himself spent the majority of the off season in Florida too... Knowing that rehab would take the better part of a year, I might have chosen to do it closer to my family too.

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    Avoid his teammates and all their phone calls.
    Avoiding his teammates and all their phone calls? Now how could you possibly know that? I haven't seen any news reports of Dante refusing to accept any phone calls from teammates.

I think Cris made some good points. It is nice to hear a public voice speaing up for Dante instead of tearing him down constantly. No wonder he feels like nobody in Minnesota is behind him, with the press constantly ripping him.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    This was excellent information from our boy Cris.

It paints a better picture to the public as to why DC is acting the way he is & why he fired his agent.
    I agree singer. That was excellant insight from Cris. It'll be interesting to see where this all goes over the next few months.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast