Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Culpepper gives Moon congrats

[size=18px]Culpepper gives Moon congrats[/size]

Vikings QB 'truly proud' of Hall election

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

DETROIT — Daunte Culpepper has remained mum amid speculation about his future with the Vikings. But history compelled him to speak Sunday.
    As a prominent African-American quarterback, Culpepper was elated Saturday when Warren Moon became the first such quarterback to be elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

"I want to congratulate former Minnesota Viking quarterback Warren Moon on being voted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame," Culpepper said in a statement. "I am truly proud of the fact that he is the first African-American quarterback elected to this exclusive club. It is encouraging to see that his awesome career is being acknowledged.

"Warren Moon has blazed the trail and set the standard for those of us who have set our sights on reaching pro football's highest honor."

Culpepper didn't provide opportunities for further questions.

But Culpepper's and Moon's admiration for each other is well known.

In a brief interview Sunday before Super Bowl XL, Moon said he was flattered by Culpepper's comments and called the young quarterback his friend.

Saturday, after learning of his election, Moon also mentioned Culpepper as one of the African-American quarterbacks who have helped to quash the negative stereotypes that he had to endure throughout his career.

"You see all the success these guys are having, the Donovan McNabbs and the Daunte Culpeppers and the Steve McNairs," Moon said. "All these guys have been to Super Bowls or been very close, and they're all some of the best in the league today. So I don't think that (negative stereotypes) exists as much anymore."

Sean Jensen can be reached at [email protected]

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/sports/football/nfl/minnesota_vikings/13801009.htm

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

DCPologirl is offline Team Alumni

Re: Culpepper gives Moon congrats

I am very happy for Warren Moon and I think he deserves it. Just out of curiousity though why hasn't Doug Williams been inducted into the hall of fame? Wasn't he the first African American quarterback to win a Super Bowl?

DCPologirl:Maybe Randy will make Aaron Brooks look better......roflmao Del Rio: I guarantee he will

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Well deserved and im glad Pep is coming out and speaking a lil more to the media..

Doug Williams will get his time.. He deserves to be in also

Foranzan is offline Rookie

Did Warren Moon go in as an Oiler or as a Viking?

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Moon is an Oiler! He really wasn't with us all that long.

That is a great compliment from both players for each other.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:
    Well deserved and im glad Pep is coming out and speaking a lil more to the media..

Doug's problem is that he is not in the Top 50 in any major catagory. Here are his stats:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/WillDo01.htm

Heck, Brad Johnson has better career stats then him...and he also has a Super Bowl ring!

Not to dis Doug (he IS from Louisiana), but if his ONLY accomplishment is that he was the FIRST black QB to win a Super Bowl, then it kind of diminishes the accomplishments of other, more prolific, black QBs...kind of twisted, I know...but his overall accomplishments should be the real determining factor, not just the color of his skin. Otherwise, you make the color of his skin the main focus...and not his overall career...which has to be the main focus, otherwise the process does not become colorblind, which is what true equality should be striving for.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

Doug's problem is that he is not in the Top 50 in any major catagory. Here are his stats:

Heck, Brad Johnson has better career stats then him...and he also has a Super Bowl ring!

Not to dis Doug (he IS from Louisiana), but if his ONLY accomplishment is that he was the FIRST black QB to win a Super Bowl, then it kind of diminishes the accomplishments of other, more prolific, black QBs...kind of twisted, I know...but his overall accomplishments should be the real determining factor, not just the color of his skin. Otherwise, you make the color of his skin the main focus...and not his overall career...which has to be the main focus, otherwise the process does not become colorblind, which is what true equality should be striving for.

Colorblind
    by Counting Crows

I am colorblind,
    Coffee black and egg white.
    Pull me out from inside.
    I am ready,
    I am ready,
    I am ready,
    I am....
    Taffy stuck and tongue tied,
    Stutter shook and uptight.
    Pull me out from inside.
    I am ready,
    I am ready,
    I am ready,
    I am...fine......
    I am covered in skin,
    No one gets to come in.
    Pull me out from inside.
    I am folded, and unfolded, and unfolding.
    I am,
    colorblind,
    Coffee black and egg white.
    Pull me out from inside.
    I am ready,
    I am ready,
    I am ready,
    I am....fine.
    I am.... fine.
    I am fine.

i'm sorry i was listening to this song when i read your post.

DCPologirl is offline Team Alumni

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

Cajun I disagree. The man made NFL history and deserves to be recognized period. The NFL is NOT colorblind.

DCPologirl:Maybe Randy will make Aaron Brooks look better......roflmao Del Rio: I guarantee he will

Does Moon go in as an Oiler?? Unlike MLB's HOF, the NFL's HOF dosen't put a player in as a member of a certain team. In MLB's HOF, a team cap is put on the bust of the player, in the NFL's HOF, they don't. They don't put a cap,jersey, or helmet on them. Is Moon "remembered" as an Oiler, yes. But if Viking fans want to celebrate his induction, that's great! It's like if you're a Raider fan, are you happy Ronnie Lott's in the HOF, or is that only supposed to be enjoyed by 49ers fans?Do Eagles fans get to celebrate Reggie White's induction, or do Packer fans? What about Carolina fans who really loved White on their team? The NFL's HOF is to be enjoyed by ALL fans of the NFL, and if you want to be happy that a player that was on your team,regardless for how long, is in,go for it. IMO, I am glad another Viking is in.Do I want more players in that played most of their career in Minnesota, (i.e.///Jim Marshall,Randall McDaniel,John Randle...), of course. Congratulations to Warren Moon! Let me ask, what if Gary Zimmerman had got in ? Is he a Viking or Bronco? IMO, he's a Viking. But Denver fans I'm sure would of been happy too.
    I ll be dead and cold before I m green and gold

Thanks to PPE for sig

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Congrats to Moon, he was a classy player and also a very good QB for the Vikes. Props to DC for coming out and saying that about Moon. Also DC says a great QB for the Minnesota Vikings, he could have easily had said all of the teams that Moon played for. He just mentions the Vikes which may be a good sign for the Viking faithfuls..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast