Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Culpepper in a funk? Team is left to guess

[size=18px]Culpepper in a funk? Team is left to guess[/size]

By Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune
    Last update: November 19, 2005 at 6:00 PM

While Vikings athletic trainer Chuck Barta has spoken to Daunte Culpepper several times since the quarterback underwent surgery last week to repair three torn ligaments in his right knee, it hasn't been as easy for other members of the organization to get in touch with him.

Even coach Mike Tice admitted Saturday that his messages for Culpepper haven't been returned.

"A number of us have called him," Tice said. "My guess is that he's in a form of depression. I'm anxious to see him when he gets back."

Tice said it was his understanding that owner Zygi Wilf was sending his private jet down to the Birmingham, Ala., area to get Culpepper on Saturday and bring him back to Minnesota. Dr. James Andrews repaired Culpepper's anterior cruciate, medial collateral and posterior cruciate ligaments Tuesday.

"[Culpepper is] frustrated at staying where he's at; he wants to come back and get going," Tice said.

Tice said he wasn't certain that Culpepper was depressed but assumed it's a strong possibility.

"I haven't talked to him so I don't know if he is," Tice said. "I've never seen Daunte Culpepper depressed. But I'm just imagining because he's not a part of it, and he's worked so hard and we were starting to get better. There's got to be some of that setting in."

On the mend

Cornerback Fred Smoot has been receiving treatment for a fractured right collarbone each morning at Winter Park and will be fitted with a protective harness Tuesday. Smoot was injured in the Vikings' victory over Detroit on Nov. 6.

"He's doing well," Tice said. "First and foremost we know he's tough as nails, and if anybody is going to come back quickly from it it would be him. Secondly, we really can't do anything until the bone heals. It's just a matter of when do we go back in and check to see how it's healed?"

Tice said Smoot has been lobbying to return a week from today against Cleveland, but a more realistic timetable would be the following Sunday in Detroit.

Etc.

• Running back Mewelde Moore might not have to wear a protective brace Monday night on his sprained right wrist, meaning he would return to his starting role after not getting a carry last week against the Giants.

"I feel he's good to go, and if that's the case he would be the guy that would start for us," Tice said.

• It still hasn't been decided whether Melvin Fowler or backup Cory Withrow will start at center against Green Bay. The two split work in practice this week as Fowler attempted to rest a strained oblique muscle that forced him to miss the second half last week. "If Melvin struggles and is concerned about the injury and the pain so much that he's missing some calls, then we would make the change," Tice said.

• Nate Burleson's brother Kevin, the former Gophers basketball player, visited practice Saturday. Kevin is playing for the Charlotte Bobcats, who were facing the Wolves on Saturday night at Target Center. Kevin, who at 26 is two years older than Nate, attended the Vikings-Panthers game in Carolina earlier this season, and Nate planned to return the favor by watching his brother Saturday. ... "ESPN The Magazine" had a reporter in town doing a profile on the brothers.

• Burleson, who was held out of practice Thursday because of hip, shoulder and knee pain, said he felt good after going through a second consecutive day of work Saturday. Defensive lineman Spencer Johnson (knee) was suited up for practice and made "great strides this week," according to Tice. Johnson, however, will be inactive again Monday

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

DCPologirl is offline Team Alumni

Re: Culpepper in a funk? Team is left to guess

Damn.........come on Culpepper....get it together! That makes me sad..... :sad:

DCPologirl:Maybe Randy will make Aaron Brooks look better......roflmao Del Rio: I guarantee he will

Jviking is offline Pro-Bowler

Yes, this must be tough on culpepper, but he needs to snap out of the "funk". We are still behind him!!! Come on now Daunte!!!
    I BLEED PURPLE!

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

I don't blame the guy for being depressed. It's got to be tough mentally to be out and not really even be able to get around by yourself. Anyone would be depressed after having that surgery, even more so for a guy who makes a living off of his athleticism. He'll be fine though, especially once he gets going in rehab and starts working again.

zimtwister is offline Coach

it must be real hard on him, he will come back.
    "you dream of beating me, its time you wake up and apologize."

K-Robbing18 is offline Rookie

I hope he comes back

Yeah thats right, me with probably the onlu K-ROB jersey Autograph, and Nate "the great" Burleson

SamDawg84 Guest

i wonder if we can put metal around his knee to keep it in place then use him. or maybe make him a "inspector gadget" person

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Pep will be just fine...he is probably just letting Brad take control right now...and doesn't want to be a distraction. Everyone knows that when he is ready, he will be back...strong and ready for action. Everyone is reading WAY TOO MUCH into this.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Del Rio Guest

He's always seemed to lack the ability to control his emotions. With him when it rains it pours. I imagine the guy is having a rough time, while people like to say he will be fine....it all depends on him.

He may be gone for good, if he makes it through this he may be better then he ever was.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"Del Rio" wrote:
    He's always seemed to lack the ability to control his emotions. With him when it rains it pours. I imagine the guy is having a rough time, while people like to say he will be fine....it all depends on him.

He may be gone for good, if he makes it through this he may be better then he ever was.
    It does depend on him, but I have a hard time believing that he'd be done for good. Seriously, if it's this hard on him being out for the rest of the year, imagine what it would do to him to be out of it for good. I think if he is depressed, it will just make him fight harder to get back.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast