Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RandyMoss8404 is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Culpepper/ Definition of a FAN

Yes, webby, but then people - as they often do - can always come back and say 'Oh God you're not a real fan, how can you say that! Go become a Packers fan!' and then of course the string of zealots saying 'YEAH! That's right! YOU TELL HIM!' never helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWgAayphx7Y
    "He s done it! Portugal is through!"

Prophet Guest

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    I'm not sure that many people here understand the difference between desiring victory blindly and desiring it critically.

Hence, this post.
    I think there are definitely a fair number of posters on here that desire the victory critically. If there weren't many wouldn't be coming back to the boards. Some sites consist of only blind homers for their team that couldn't see a weakness on their team if they were hypnotized and force fed slow motion replays of the flaws in the system.

I'm all for the optimistic and/or pessimistic post as long as it is substantiated with some thought behind the post and has some basis for the resasoning behind the post. We've all eaten crow on our prognostication skills before and we will again. The fun of a message board is to lay what you're thinking on the line and have people give feedback. It's a type of peer-review that is another reason it is fun to be a fan.

"webmaster" wrote:
    As long as people do that, Prophet, its good and well. But these inane fruits that bandy about conspiracy theories and other obvious tripe tee me off. My point is exactly as yours stated differently; stand up, think, make posts. Its much more difficult to stand up and say I am pissed, here's what I see and my hopes for fixing it than to whine unsubstantiated BS.

SKOL.
    Agree. I put down some unsubstantiated BS now and again too though. So guilty as charged. If I'm around though, I'll do my best to substantiate it and admit defeat if necessary.

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    Yes, webby, but then people - as they often do - can always come back and say 'Oh God you're not a real fan, how can you say that! Go become a Packers fan!' and then of course the string of zealots saying 'YEAH! That's right! YOU TELL HIM!' never helps.
    I think only the ill-informed pull that maneuver. Most of us on here don't bash someone for well-thought out opinions. I see many instances where a good discussion ensues and the zealot folk threads just die off because we all know its futile to argue with lunacy.

You are overgeneralizing which is another disease of the frantic fan. :lol: teasing ya.

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

"Prophet" wrote:
    "RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    I'm not sure that many people here understand the difference between desiring victory blindly and desiring it critically.

Hence, this post.
    I think there are definitely a fair number of posters on here that desire the victory critically. If there weren't many wouldn't be coming back to the boards. Some sites consist of only blind homers for their team that couldn't see a weakness on their team if they were hypnotized and force fed slow motion replays of the flaws in the system.

I'm all for the optimistic and/or pessimistic post as long as it is substantiated with some thought behind the post and has some basis for the resasoning behind the post. We've all eaten crow on our prognostication skills before and we will again. The fun of a message board is to lay what you're thinking on the line and have people give feedback. It's a type of peer-review that is another reason it is fun to be a fan.

"webmaster" wrote:
    As long as people do that, Prophet, its good and well. But these inane fruits that bandy about conspiracy theories and other obvious tripe tee me off. My point is exactly as yours stated differently; stand up, think, make posts. Its much more difficult to stand up and say I am pissed, here's what I see and my hopes for fixing it than to whine unsubstantiated BS.

SKOL.
    Agree. I put down some unsubstantiated BS now and again too though. So guilty as charged. If I'm around though, I'll do my best to substantiate it and admit defeat if necessary.
    LOL. I used to love to do that, just to amuse myself by baiting the yahoos. Then I was told not everyone thought the pot stirring was funny, so I retired from that job. At least you make consistent efforts, though, and its not just complete lunacy being posted.

But then again, this isn't a rip on anyone around here or there or anywhere, I am approaching this as a philisophical discussion of fanship as I think the original post intended. It interests me greatly, and is one of the great satisfactions of this site. I get to watch how things play out and observe it. Guess that's the old Psych major in me shining through.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

There are a lot of "z" words in this thread that I don't understand!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

I posted another thread on Culpepper's leg injury. I know that he is a much better QB than he's proved so far. OK, he had no time to set up against Tampa but he did with the Bengals and he couldn't get the ball where he wanted it. He isn't running as much as he did before either when his receivers are covered.
    I really believe it bothers him more than he or the coaches are letting on and that's the primary reason for his miseralbe performances.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

grpape is offline Asst. Coach

So which leg is it? If it is the leg that he plants when he throws, it may answer why a lot of his passes have been way off! I mean some of his throws just seem "where the hell was he going with that?" I did post earlier that the whole Pep is no good because Moss is gone is what drove me nuts! I know he will bounce back: "I want to be the best ever!" That statement alone will fire him up.
    There have been other posts bringing up his small hands, and how it causes him to fumble. Well, it was a problem before, and he corrected it the next season (I believe it was last year). He will calm down and start to let his instincts and talent take over instead of listening to his brain too much. I also think that after this player's meeting, everything will change. The players will calm eachother down (espesially Pep), start playing a bit more loose and have fun again. The wining will follow.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

They say it's his plant leg. His left one as he steps forward to pass. I know some of you guys think Sid is a dork and past his prime, but I read this on another NLF web site -- either from Fox, CBS, or ESPN, too.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

TheViking is offline Rookie

Why is it that certain Viking fans always jump off the Culpepper bus when he does bad. For years fans having been screaming for Bauman, George, Ferotte, and now Johnson every time he does bad. I just don't get it. I know he has had a bad season so far but he is one of the best QB's in the league until he proves otherwise. I don't understand the argument to get a back up player to start for the team when you have a pro-bowler starting now. Give the guy a break let him get used to life without Randy, hope for a running game and he will continue to get his "roll on". Two games is way to early to throw Culpepper under the bus, unless of course you’re Tice.
    One cold January morning I will wake up and be able to say holy sh** they actually won!

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

I rarely blame players for the outcome of games. I think the buck stops with the coaching.

However being able to p!ss and moan a little when your team is sucking is part of being a fan IMO. For a lot of you guys that live in places where most of the people you know are also Viking fans you get a chance to blow off a little steam with friends. For some of us like myself, where I am the only Viking fan that I know, being able to complain a little on this board to others who actually understand my pain is a mental health thing. :lol: It doesn't mean that we are jumping off the bandwagon, or that we are fair weather fans. For some of us it just means we don't have anyone to complain too that doesn't laugh at us when we do. :wink:

WWBGD

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast