Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    sureban is offline Rookie

Re: Culpepper best Vikes QB ever?

Obviously I think Culpepper is the best, but I never saw Tarkenton play. I think we should wait until Daunte's career is over before we compare him to anybody else.

Sincerely,
    Mark.

fred3105 is offline Coordinator

Lets see how a little more of Culpepper without Moss to see how good he really is. Then we can compare.
    http://homepage.mac.com/vijayr/PSU/MM05PSU2.mov (Mario Manningham)

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"fred3105" wrote:
    Lets see how a little more of Culpepper without Moss to see how good he really is. Then we can compare.
    A good QB is a good QB regardless of who he has around him. Watch, Kerry Collins will have Moss and Porter this year, and will still suck. Culepepper didn't have moss for half of the season last year and still put up huge #'s. I know it's not always as easy without superstar recievers, but he'll still be good.

It's so hard to compare players from different eras. The rules and styles of play change from decade to decade. My thought is that the only fair way to compare players is to measure them against other QBs of their era. I'll skip the mediocre guys and cover some of the guys who've had big years for the Vikes.

Fran Tarkenton was clearly a difference-maker (he made plays that no one else would even consider making) and one of the best 3-4 QBs in the league for a long time.

Joe Kapp was a gritty winner, but not a difference-maker or very effective QB.

Tommy Kramer played at a Pro Bowl level for a year or two...but that's all.

Brad Johnson and Jeff George each had one very good year with the Vikings.

Randall Cunningham had arguably the best single year ever by a Viking QB in relief of Brad Johnson in 1998. However, he flamed out quickly the next year.

Daunte Culpepper has mixed spectacular years with mediocre years. His first year as a starter was incredible. Last year, he was the 2nd best QB in football. In between, he was little better than an average QB.

For now, I've got to go with Tarkenton. No other Viking QB has ever put together more than a couple of great years. With another 3-4 years of consistently good play, Culpepper could take away that title, but for now...Fran's the Man!

fred3105 is offline Coordinator

"ltrey33" wrote:
    "fred3105" wrote:
    A good QB is a good QB regardless of who he has around him. Watch, Kerry Collins will have Moss and Porter this year, and will still suck. Culepepper didn't have moss for half of the season last year and still put up huge #'s. I know it's not always as easy without superstar recievers, but he'll still be good.
    You must have missed the Gus Ferrot(sp) games 2 years ago.
    http://homepage.mac.com/vijayr/PSU/MM05PSU2.mov (Mario Manningham)

E-Man is offline Waterboy

"MountainVike" wrote:
    It's so hard to compare players from different eras.
    ...For now, I've got to go with Tarkenton. No other Viking QB has ever put together more than a couple of great years. With another 3-4 years of consistently good play, Culpepper could take away that title, but for now...Fran's the Man!
    Good answer bro. The truth is that we need a few more great 'Pepper years. I believe he will be called the best by then. He needs to rollout and sprint more, open the field up and we now have the O-line to help do it. Having Klieny back is really going to motor this ability and the run game this yr.
    Remember pillage THEN burn!
    Big Ol E

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"renovikesfan" wrote:
    Since 2000, Daunte has led the Vikings to one NFC Championship with 3 years of having, arguably, one of the top 3 WR tandems in NFL history (Moss and Carter), and 5 years with Moss.

Fran led the Vikings to multiple SuperBowls with adequate to above-average receivers.

Let Pep at least lead us to ONE Championship before we start trying to call him better than Sir Francis.
    Lets not forget that having good receivers is not the best way to get to the superbowl. Fran had some great defenses, Culpepper has NEVER had a top 20 defense.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

slinkey is offline Pro-Bowler

NO WAY! Here are some Vike qb's that were better...

1 Fran Tarkenton
    2 Tommy Krammer
    3 Joe Kapp
    4 Wade Wilson
    5 Jeff George (I know, you guys dont like him but he was great for the short time he was here)

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"slinkey" wrote:
    NO WAY! Here are some Vike qb's that were better...

1 Fran Tarkenton
    2 Tommy Krammer
    3 Joe Kapp
    4 Wade Wilson
    5 Jeff George (I know, you guys dont like him but he was great for the short time he was here)
    Wilson! :roll:

renovikesfan is offline Coordinator

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    Lets not forget that having good receivers is not the best way to get to the superbowl. Fran had some great defenses, Culpepper has NEVER had a top 20 defense.
    No denying that.

I'm not saying Pep has no chance at ever being better than Fran...I'm just saying we should give him a little more time to prove himself as being better. This year will be the year for him to do just that. He no longer has his All-Pro WRs to throw to, but the Defense has a chance to be better than any we've had in a long time...PPE-quality? Doubtful...but we could be seeing a resurrection of the Millard/Studwell/Doleman era, and that would be a major boost to ANY QB of Culpepper's quality.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast