StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

Critical things we need to do in '08

Here is my list of things this team must do in 2008:

1. The QB must relax and play within himself. Dump the ball off, check down, throw it out of bounds if you must. Just no more throws off the back foot, etc. No more panicking in the pocket and running downfield, just to get injured.

2. We must get AP in space. No more running him off-tackle into a stacked box (only).

3. IF the box is stacked, we must be able to get a receiver open, to "unstack" it !! (i.e. we have to keep opposing safeties out of the box, by throwing deep).

4. We must get some kind of better "underneath" game going. Schiancoe or Wade or someone must step up.

5. On defense, corners must jam better in the Cover 2. No more letting receivers float by.

6. We have to have better play-calling. Our offense was too conservative for me. The Washington game is what I am talking about. We need to throw screens to AP more, mix it up, do the real west coast offense and throw short passes and stop with the off-tackle stuff and the power sweep when it is not working.

7. More pressure on the QB from the front 4.

Actually, and I think that signing Berrian solves many of these issues (nr. 3, and Allen solves nr. 7. If Tarvaris just relaxes and does nr. 1, and Bevell calls better plays, we should be good).

I actually am optimistic that we can get it done.

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

Re: Critical things we need to do in '08

The only thing I want to see the Vikes do this season is:

Put more points on the board then their opponents

Second thought, I don't even care about that, just as long as the Vikes win the Super Bowl.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

SO far this preseason, we have seen 1, 3, 4, and 7.
    I disagree with 6 in that I don't think that the plays sent in were a result of poor play calling, but rather a result of calling plays to the skill set of our players.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    SO far this preseason, we have seen 1, 3, 4, and 7.
    I disagree with 6 in that I don't think that the plays sent in were a result of poor play calling, but rather a result of calling plays to the skill set of our players.
    I agree...

Could replace #6 with "Better half time adjustments"
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Let's boil the list down to one word..,

[size=16pt]WIN[/size]
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

El Vikingo is offline Ring of Fame

"StillPurple" wrote:

1. The QB must relax and play within himself. Dump the ball off, check down, throw it out of bounds if you must. Just no more throws off the back foot, etc. No more panicking in the pocket and running downfield, just to get injured.

2. We must get AP in space. No more running him off-tackle into a stacked box (only).

3. IF the box is stacked, we must be able to get a receiver open, to "unstack" it !! (i.e. we have to keep opposing safeties out of the box, by throwing deep).

4. We must get some kind of better "underneath" game going. Schiancoe or Wade or someone must step up.

5. On defense, corners must jam better in the Cover 2. No more letting receivers float by.

6. We have to have better play-calling. Our offense was too conservative for me. The Washington game is what I am talking about. We need to throw screens to AP more, mix it up, do the real west coast offense and throw short passes and stop with the off-tackle stuff and the power sweep when it is not working.

8.Fire Childress. ;D
    El underdog.

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

1. Win the Superbowl

2. Party down

Formo is offline Team Alumni

"StillPurple" wrote:

Actually, and I think that signing Berrian solves many of these issues (nr. 3, and Allen solves nr. 7. If Tarvaris just relaxes and does nr. 1, and Bevell calls better plays, we should be good).

I agree with just about everything you said.

Except the last bit in #1.
    No more panicking in the pocket and running downfield, just to get injured.
    Running downfield is fine..
    just not running into LBs.
    SLIIIIIIDE to protect yourself!
    Unless you are playing in the NFC Championship game or the SuperBowl, SLIDE.
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

gamecocksbaseball31 is offline Hall of Famer

"StillPurple" wrote:

Not just throw deep, but COMPLETE deep passes.
    T-Jack has definitely been able to throw deep in the past but most of them have been over or under thrown.
    Completing those deep passes will make that box a lot smaller.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Win the Super Bowl.