Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

Re: Cris Carter: Vikings Considering Trading Up

Hmm. I think we might as well wait 'til next year for a QB. We could get a good right tackle to play outside Lewinski, a linebacker, or maybe a safety with one of those picks. This draft is a lot more solid at those positions than it is at quarterback this year (at least once you get past the big 3). But I wouldn't throw a huge fit if we traded up and got one.

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"BBQ Platypus" wrote:
    Hmm. I think we might as well wait 'til next year for a QB. We could get a good right tackle to play outside Lewinski, a linebacker, or maybe a safety with one of those picks. This draft is a lot more solid at those positions than it is at quarterback this year (at least once you get past the big 3). But I wouldn't throw a huge fit if we traded up and got one.
    What is wrong with Macus Johnson playing RT, and Rosenthal backing him up? If we get Hutch our line is set.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "BBQ Platypus" wrote:
    What is wrong with Macus Johnson playing RT, and Rosenthal backing him up? If we get Hutch our line is set.
    I'd rather see Johnson playing right guard for two reasons - I think personally that he's a MUCH better guard than tackel - from what I saw, he seemed overwhelmed at tackle and didn't play nearly as well. Also, I don't really think we have another very good guard. Maybe Liwienski can return to form, or maybe he can't. I'd rather have a true tackle drafted and get him ready for a couple years down the road.

But I agree with you about Hutch. Either way, our line will be much MUCH better if Hutch comes to Minnesota.

Thanks PPE for the sig.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"canadian_vikes_fan" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "BBQ Platypus" wrote:
    I'd rather see Johnson playing right guard for two reasons - I think personally that he's a MUCH better guard than tackel - from what I saw, he seemed overwhelmed at tackle and didn't play nearly as well. Also, I don't really think we have another very good guard. Maybe Liwienski can return to form, or maybe he can't. I'd rather have a true tackle drafted and get him ready for a couple years down the road.

But I agree with you about Hutch. Either way, our line will be much MUCH better if Hutch comes to Minnesota.
    Marcus Johnson is better suited to play tackle even if he is currently more comfortable playing guard. I don't tink he has the lower body strength to be a great guard and he has long arms and good use of hands in pass protection, which makes him a better fit for tackle. I am comfortable that one of Liwenski, Goldberg, Whittle or Herrara can show up and be a solid starter for us next year.

The biggest knock I hear about moving up to take a QB is that we have needs at OL and LB, but nobody seems to realize that those players need to brought along almost as slowly as a QB and that there is not a very good chance that they could make significant contributions their rookie year anyway.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567