Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    aceclown is offline Coach

Re: Cris Carter: Vikings Considering Trading Up

"PurplePeopleEaters89" wrote:
    Everyone is missing the point!!! If we give up two 2nd round picks and our 1st round pick to just get a back up QB (thats what he will be coming into training camp) then how are we going to play a cover 2 with Ben Leber, Sam Cowart, and who ever else we get!!! How much depth is there in the 3rd or 4th round at LB!! We still need atleast 2 more LB to have a good Cover 2 defense!!! LB are what hold the Cover 2 defense together!!! It doesn't matter how good Cutler is or whoever we get, we can't win games unless we have defense!!!!
    Well for starters Cowart isnt on the roster right now. Linebackbackers are important to the defense like you say, but are much more dispensable than a top 5 quarterback. In our cover 2, Im putting my money on Dontarrious Thomas, EJ, and Leber to be the starters. Thomas has had a lot of brain farts, and dont really like him, but he is tremendously athletically gifted and has the speed to run with a lot of WRs. Again, it is much easier to find good linebackers than it is to find a top prospect QB.

Chuch.

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

Umm Ben Roethlisberger didn't do much!! I remember the DEFENSE being the highlight of the team!! Yes Ben is good but, like i said before this, you can't win games without good defense and we are throwing away picks to take a chance on a QB, remember we don't have a 7th round pick this year do to us getting Fonoti then releasing him!!! so if we do make the trade up then we are left with a 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th round picks!!!
    Er.. Are you saying the Steelers would have won the Superbowl without Roethlisburger?

Because that's being incredibly naive. Look at how the Steelers played with Tommy Maddox when he started during Roethlisburger's absence.

I do agree with your pick on Dontarrious Thomas but E.J. HENDERSON!!! He was almost as bad as Napoleon Harris last year!!! He shouldn't even be on the team!!! I rather Chad Greenway or another LB and have Brad Johnson MANAGE the team!!! We don't need a hotshot QB in the westcoast offense!!! Look at Matt Hasselback, nobody cared who he was before the season but as soon as they made it to the playoffs he looked like a GOD!! But that was due in part to Shaun Alexander, but lets not go into that!!! Do you think Matt Hasselback is a better QB than Peyton Manning or Tom Brady??? Both those teams didn't make it to the Super Bowl!! I wonder why?!? OH Yeah, they didn't have a good enough defense!!! Manning is an awesome QB!!! Tom Brady has wone 3 Super Bowls!!! But look at Seattle, they had a GOOD QB and had an awesome defense!!! Look who they had at starting LB, o yes a rookie!!! Lofa Tutupu did an awesome job this season!!! I think if we have a GOOD QB and bulk up that defense then we will have a great season!!!

PS my bad on that Sam Cowart comment, wasn't paying attention!!!
    http://www.myspace.com/pooptin

"Benet" wrote:
    Umm Ben Roethlisberger didn't do much!! I remember the DEFENSE being the highlight of the team!! Yes Ben is good but, like i said before this, you can't win games without good defense and we are throwing away picks to take a chance on a QB, remember we don't have a 7th round pick this year do to us getting Fonoti then releasing him!!! so if we do make the trade up then we are left with a 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th round picks!!!
    Er.. Are you saying the Steelers would have won the Superbowl without Roethlisburger?

Because that's being incredibly naive. Look at how the Steelers played with Tommy Maddox when he started during Roethlisburger's absence.

No No i like Ben Roethlisburger, but what was more important in the Super Bowl this season a QB or a Defense!!! I do remember Randle El throwing a TD!!! :wink: :grin:

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

I do agree with your pick on Dontarrious Thomas but E.J. HENDERSON!!! He was almost as bad as Napoleon Harris last year!!! He shouldn't even be on the team!!! I rather Chad Greenway or another LB and have Brad Johnson MANAGE the team!!! We don't need a hotshot QB in the westcoast offense!!! Look at Matt Hasselback, nobody cared who he was before the season but as soon as they made it to the playoffs he looked like a GOD!! But that was due in part to Shaun Alexander, but lets not go into that!!! Do you think Matt Hasselback is a better QB than Peyton Manning or Tom Brady??? Both those teams didn't make it to the Super Bowl!! I wonder why?!? OH Yeah, they didn't have a good enough defense!!! Manning is an awesome QB!!! Tom Brady has wone 3 Super Bowls!!! But look at Seattle, they had a GOOD QB and had an awesome defense!!! Look who they had at starting LB, o yes a rookie!!! Lofa Tutupu did an awesome job this season!!! I think if we have a GOOD QB and bulk up that defense then we will have a great season!!!

PS my bad on that Sam Cowart comment, wasn't paying attention!!!
    I think you got it mixed up, EJ played good last year, dontarious played like a scrub.

EJ did do good last year, if you are comparing him to his previous season!!! In my mind all our LB did a sub par job this season, but we can't cut everybody and get a whole new LB so we have to keep some of them!!! I just don't think EJ is that good of player!!!

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    I would rather build a strong team around a later round quarterback that can manage the team. If you look at the super bowl quarterbacks that have won the super bowl in the last 20 years, I think only Aikman was a top draft pick and the reason for the success of dallas was they got half our defense and most of our draft picks for half a decade in the Walker trade. I would not trade up to draft a quarterback who has never played in the NFL.

The picks should be spent on linbackers and linemen if we don't get hutch signed.
    Umm Ben Roethlisberger went #11, and he won a SB just last year.

Without Ben Roethlisberger, they don't win the superbowl, plain and simple. You can say what you want about his stats or whatnot but if you watch the guy play, he is a big part of why they win. There is a reason they have such a great record with him as their starter and have had a bad record without him, and before they drafted him.

Also before you go saying we need all these linebackers and lineman, you need to understand that the gamble AND learning curve is just a big as with a top QB. What lineman do you suggest we draft that would be better than the starters we have (assuming we get hutch)? At the very least know what linebackers we have on the team. SAm Cowart is no longer on the team. E.J. played well last year and is probably ready to take over the middle again. We have Leber, who even though I disagree, the management has essential pencilled in as SAM. THerefore that leaves uss with WILL that can be addressed in FA (Peterson, Arrington etc.) or DT. Even if you don't like DT, he has lots of potential and with good coaching could be a great player. Even if you disagree with that, look at our QBs. We have a 37 year old and JT O'Sullivan. Even if you do believe that we can still win a Superbowl with them and a good defense, I doubt any rookie would be able to contribute significantly to that "great" defense.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

i think omar will be our future. he has the tools, he just needs to be groomed and i think he could be an all-star in this league.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

I think EJ's gonna be a beast of LB in the NFL. His improvement over the past three years is solid, last year he played healthy and played well at a position he never played before. A very young LB who has had a couple different cordinators. Alot of the good LB's never really came out and played well intill they a had 3rd or 4th years of experience under there belt.

I look for EJ to have a solid year this year, we'll see.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Any QB that comes out of the draft is a question mark. You've seen it happen time and time again -- trade up and get a QB that's a bust. I don't want to give away three draft picks for a gamble.
    If Omar falls to us at 17 I'd consider it if we get Hutch. But if Hutch don't get him, we need to work on the offensive line and linebackers. Brad will get killed with OL we have now in MYHO.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast