Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Cris Carter among finalists for HOF

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Tad7 is offline Team Alumni
    Should've been in years ago. It's getting more and more disrespectful each year.
    Skol Vikings! Go Cubs!

X MARKS THE SPOT

TheAnimal93 is offline Team Alumni
    What exactly is the criteria for the HOF? When a player retires he becomes eligible. Where he ranks at his position? At the time of retirement determines whether or not he was an exceptional player? Also the number of times he was recognized by his peers for his play above and beyond the norm? And his off the field activities like in the community?
    Looking at the candidates for this year, what makes one name stand out over the other? Because should not CC be in allready? His numbers were top five all time in most categories when he retired, correct? Meaning he exceeded his peers, all but one, all time? So what does a guy have to do to make his statement for the exclusive club of top performers?

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimal93 View Post
    What exactly is the criteria for the HOF?
    You must have been retired for 5 years. THat is all.

When a player retires he becomes eligible. Where he ranks at his position? At the time of retirement determines whether or not he was an exceptional player? Also the number of times he was recognized by his peers for his play above and beyond the norm? And his off the field activities like in the community?
    Off-field activities, is not SUPPOSED to play a factor. We'll find out for sure when Randy Moss becomes Eligible I suppose. But even this year. Edward De Bartolo is a finalist for HOF, he was the owner of the 49ers during the dynasty years. He deserves to be in, but had some issues. If he gets snuffed, that means that off-field activities are being considered, even though they're not supposed to be.

Looking at the candidates for this year, what makes one name stand out over the other? Because should not CC be in allready? His numbers were top five all time in most categories when he retired, correct? Meaning he exceeded his peers, all but one, all time? So what does a guy have to do to make his statement for the exclusive club of top performers?
    It's really just politics. There are so many good WRs eligible that they think they can't have too many receivers all at once. In the past few years, Art Monk finally got in, then Jerry Rice, Hasn't been anyone else in recent memory, but guys liek CC, Brown, Reed, have all been snubbed already. In the next five years, Issac Bruce, Torry Holt, Terrell Owens, Marvin Harrison and Hines Ward will all be eligible. There will be more top 10 all-time receivers becoming eligible in the next 10 years than ever before. In a way, I get the idea of slowing down the WR induction, but at the same time, ignoring a guy like CC, who is easily a top-5 WR all-time is just a crime.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    You must have been retired for 5 years. THat is all.

Off-field activities, is not SUPPOSED to play a factor. We'll find out for sure when Randy Moss becomes Eligible I suppose. But even this year. Edward De Bartolo is a finalist for HOF, he was the owner of the 49ers during the dynasty years. He deserves to be in, but had some issues. If he gets snuffed, that means that off-field activities are being considered, even though they're not supposed to be.

It's really just politics. There are so many good WRs eligible that they think they can't have too many receivers all at once. In the past few years, Art Monk finally got in, then Jerry Rice, Hasn't been anyone else in recent memory, but guys liek CC, Brown, Reed, have all been snubbed already. In the next five years, Issac Bruce, Torry Holt, Terrell Owens, Marvin Harrison and Hines Ward will all be eligible. There will be more top 10 all-time receivers becoming eligible in the next 10 years than ever before. In a way, I get the idea of slowing down the WR induction, but at the same time, ignoring a guy like CC, who is easily a top-5 WR all-time is just a crime.
    IMO, off field issues do get considered & players get snubbed for it with the exception of a few.

They claimed Strahan was a shoe in 1st time HOFer. Why? There have been others who should have been, but they've had to wait.

I also heard them mention that player X, I think they were still talking about Strahan had great character off the field as well, so when I heard that it sided with my notion that it is taken into account even though it shouldn't.

The other thing that's taken into account that shouldn't be is the number of SB rings the player has. It comes up in the conversations a lot, but shouldn't be a deciding factor. The HOF decision should come based solely on that person's body of work & not the teams body of work.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Cris Carter among finalists for HOF

If SB wins have no bearing then airman and Irvin have no business getting in there.

tarkenton10 is online now Star Spokesman
    It is a disgrace to the NFL that Carter hasn't been inducted yet.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Never quite understood why SB rings matter to HOF. I mean, ws the player the GM? All he could do was go out and give it his best. What if he had a dolt for a GM who could never build a solid team?

thorshammer is offline Asst. Coach
    Put the man in already .... he's one of the 5 best ever .... nobody had better hands than CC ....

Quote Originally Posted by thorshammer View Post
    Put the man in already .... he's one of the 5 best ever .... nobody had better hands than CC ....
    You're wrong.......Troy Williamson.
    I bet you could use a cool one huh Clark...Now you're talkin Eddie...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast