Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

CPep finally speaks on a variety of topics.

Posted on Fri, Dec. 16, 2005

'I will be vindicated'
    Culpepper says he was falsely charged in boat sex scandal

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper, mum since suffering a season-ending knee injury, broke his silence Thursday to dispute charges against him stemming from the Oct. 6 boat party on Lake Minnetonka.

He also discussed several perceptions about his absence from the team that have been bothering him.

Culpepper said by phone from Orlando, Fla., that he has been falsely charged with indecent conduct, disorderly conduct and lewd or lascivious conduct and that he will "vigorously" defend his name.

"I look forward to meeting my accusers in a court of law, so they can be confronted with this lie," Culpepper said. "In the end, the truth will come out and I will be vindicated... .

"If I did anything wrong, it was going to that stupid boat."

Culpepper, who tore three ligaments in his right knee against the Carolina Panthers on Oct. 30, explained why he hasn't been around his teammates much since suffering the injury.

On doctor's advice, he said, he returned to his home in Florida to begin rehabilitation on his knee.

"Dr. (James) Andrews recommended a therapist in Orlando, and I've got a one-level house here, so I don't have three different flights (of stairs)," Culpepper said. "There's also no ice on the ground, because if you slip, I'll be right back in surgery. It's better for my knee to be here."

Some have questioned whether Culpepper will be able to start training camp in August with the mobility he had before the injury. Not to worry, he said.

"I definitely will," he said. "My doctor fixed my leg aggressively and did what he could so I could play the way I like to play. Those were his exact words. That's all I needed to hear."

The Vikings have run off six consecutive victories since Brad Johnson stepped in at quarterback. That has prompted some to speculate that Culpepper is staying away out of jealousy.

"I'm the biggest cheerleader," Culpepper said. "That's all I can do is hope for the best for my team. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know me. My goals haven't changed for what I want the team to do. I'm never against us. I'm always with the Vikings.

"I'm very, very excited for the way Brad is playing. He's doing what he's supposed to do. Everyone is stepping their game up."

Another theory was that Culpepper had sunk into depression. He refuted that, as well.

"I come home to a beautiful family every day," he said. "As long as I'm breathing, I've got no reason to be depressed."

Some were surprised Culpepper, as the team's marquee player and leader, hasn't attended more games or been more of a presence at Winter Park.

"Physically, I couldn't stand up and walk," he said. "My doctor didn't want me flying a lot (initially). The guys know my heart."

Culpepper said he expects to remain with the Vikings over the long term. He said there is still much he hopes to accomplish.

"I expect to end my career in Minnesota and win Super Bowls for the Vikings," he said. "Those are my expectations."

Team owner Zygi Wilf has been supportive during this difficult time, Culpepper said.

"I appreciate everything he's done," he said. "It just shows how classy he is. I'm very excited to work with the ownership. They've shown me nothing but love."

Culpepper said he had never endured such excruciating pain. But he wondered whether he was fortunate the injury occurred.

"My knee was already injured. I had lost 10 pounds, trying to take weight off my knee, so I could play like I could play," he said. "It was a tough break for me. But anything bad that happens could be a blessing in disguise."

Culpepper said he was confident that coach Mike Tice was steering the team in the right direction, even during the dismal start. The quarterback said he believed he was getting into a rhythm before being hurt.

"That's why you play 16 games," Culpepper said. "It was only a matter of time before we got out there and did what we're doing now."

For now, Culpepper is walking, and he is working closely with his therapist.

"Right now, I feel real good," he said. "I'll be playing definitely next season."

http://www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/sports/13418558.htm

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Re: CPep finally speaks on a variety of topics.

Thats my man! I know he'll work hard and make a full come back.
    If I lived in Minnesota I would deff pay that boat place a lil visit.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

ancoin is offline Starter

Really good to hear from him.

Thank to Lotza

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"mnjamie" wrote:

Culpepper said by phone from Orlando, Fla., that he has been falsely charged with indecent conduct, disorderly conduct and lewd or lascivious conduct and that he will "vigorously" defend his name.

"I look forward to meeting my accusers in a court of law, so they can be confronted with this lie," Culpepper said. "In the end, the truth will come out and I will be vindicated... .

"If I did anything wrong, it was going to that stupid boat."

Culpepper said he was confident that coach Mike Tice was steering the team in the right direction, even during the dismal start. The quarterback said he believed he was getting into a rhythm before being hurt.

"That's why you play 16 games," Culpepper said. "It was only a matter of time before we got out there and did what we're doing now."

For now, Culpepper is walking, and he is working closely with his therapist.

"Right now, I feel real good," he said. "I'll be playing definitely next season."
    DC is one of only a few identifiable black males on that boat. Easily stood out. Sometimes it pays to be less famous. I don't know how they ID'd Moe.

I also believe DC when he says that the team was finding its groove at the point he was injured. I am glad that he is doing well.

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

Reflection is usually a sign of guilty.

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

I'll just say,

DC, get well and I'll be glad to have you back anyday..

If I've learned anything in life myself, one can become a stronger and wiser person by learning from their mistakes.......

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

Now I feel a lot better about pep after reading that. I just wish he could be at more of the Vikes games. He has only been at one of there games and that was the one at Detroit and he was up in a suite. I wish he could be on the sidelines sitting on the bench or something, that would be cool.

jimmymac is offline Pro-Bowler

Culpepper just needs to shut the f*** up!

He has done NOTHING good for this team this year on or off the field.

Culpepper, Smoot, McKinnie and Williams have turned this season into a 3-ring circus.

The Vikings can't even have a press conference about football because the media just wants to ask love-boat questions.

I hope the Vikings cut all 4 players for the distractions they've caused.

The four stooges.
    -- Sarcasm always turned on --

eastcoastvikes is offline Starter

That's a little harsh since Daunte and Smoot deny what is being said... isn't it possible that they are telling the truth?

Sig courtesy of josdin00

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"VikingNed" wrote:
    I'll just say,

DC, get well and I'll be glad to have you back anyday..

If I've learned anything in life myself, one can become a stronger and wiser person by learning from their mistakes.......
    So true Ned! Learning from mistakes is a key in life, we have all been there.

Also, if this was spousal abuse, drug addiction, or something like that I would be more worried. But, which one of us guys wouldn't be tempted to touch a breast of a stripper. Man, that is such a BS charge, touching a butt and breast for both Moe and DC. Now Smoot and McKinnie, they have some more splaining to do.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast