Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 83
  1. #1
    thorshammer is online now Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    506

    Cover 2 - Yes or No

    What are everyone's thoughts on our cover 2 defence .... It seems a lot of teams using it are having problems as well. It was all the rage but the teams that can play agressive man up seem to be doing better. Wondering what the rest of you think??

  2. #2
    ultravikingfan's Avatar
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    24,514

    Re: Cover 2 - Yes or No

    When you do not have the proper athletes (not as good) you go Zone.
    When you have good DB's you go man.

  3. #3
    Mr Anderson's Avatar
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,686

    Re: Cover 2 - Yes or No

    I like the cover 2.

    I just think we need to play to our strengths and not pretend we have softies at corner. Play the press, and our problems are solved.

    Jamming at the line disrupts the timing between QB and receiver, time is a QB's enemy and friend, but against a defensive line like ours, it's an enemy. Give Allen, KWill, or Ray Edwards an extra split second, and that QB will be eating dirt.

    The defense really works off of each other, coverage assists the pass rush, the pass rush assists coverage.


    So, press coverage on defense, play-action on offense. Play to our players strengths... do it Childress. Listen to me.

  4. #4
    jessejames09's Avatar
    jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    4,231

    Re: Cover 2 - Yes or No

    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    When you do not have the proper athletes (not as good) you go Zone.
    When you have good DB's you go man.
    So the vikings, colts, bucs, bears draft bad CBs to fit their zone schemes? Or they all misuse their good CBs in weaker zone schemes?

  5. #5
    thorshammer is online now Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    506

    Re: Cover 2 - Yes or No

    "Mr" wrote:
    I like the cover 2.

    I just think we need to play to our strengths and not pretend we have softies at corner. Play the press, and our problems are solved.

    Jamming at the line disrupts the timing between QB and receiver, time is a QB's enemy and friend, but against a defensive line like ours, it's an enemy. Give Allen, KWill, or Ray Edwards an extra split second, and that QB will be eating dirt.

    The defense really works off of each other, coverage assists the pass rush, the pass rush assists coverage.


    So, press coverage on defense, play-action on offense. Play to our players strengths... do it Childress. Listen to me.
    Have to agree with you completely ... that little disruption to the opposing QB's timing would make our D much more effective. Our D line would get there and it might cause some rushed errant throws. Often wondered why we don't press more often.... things that make you go hmmmmm.....

  6. #6
    Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    844
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Cover 2 - Yes or No

    Dislike it.


    We've always criticized our pass rush but I don't think that is our problem.
    We make it easy for a QB to process through his reads.
    Hardly any pressure at all on receivers to get open against us.
    Often all our pass rushers would need is a second more of more time.
    Instead we give players 10 yard cushions.

  7. #7
    Chazz is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    782

    Re: Cover 2 - Yes or No

    I would like to see us play a little man coverage with cover 2 behind it...meaning...have Winny and Griff play man and keep Sharper and Williams/Johnson in the cover 2 shell behind them to stop the big play if Whinny or Griff were to get beat.

  8. #8
    ultravikingfan's Avatar
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    24,514

    Re: Cover 2 - Yes or No

    "jessejames09" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    When you do not have the proper athletes (not as good) you go Zone.
    When you have good DB's you go man.
    So the vikings, colts, bucs, bears draft bad CBs to fit their zone schemes? Or they all misuse their good CBs in weaker zone schemes?
    Did I say anything about players being bad?

    The Bears do run Man coverage when all their players are healthy.

  9. #9
    PackSux!'s Avatar
    PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,549

    Re: Cover 2 - Yes or No

    Linebackers are very important in the cover two.

  10. #10
    Ranger's Avatar
    Ranger is offline Coach
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,060

    Re: Cover 2 - Yes or No

    Well, look at the Bucs right now.
    They seem to be doing just fine, despite a fairly "meh" pass rush.
    They tore apart Seattle by using creative blitz calls, sending corners and safeties in and generally disrupting Seattle.


Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Cover 2 disected
    By Del Rio in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 10-24-2008, 04:49 PM
  2. Cover ART-BOYS
    By nephilimstorm in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-06-2008, 03:09 AM
  3. Who Do You Think Will Be On The Madden 08 Cover??
    By SageVike in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 03-24-2007, 10:27 AM
  4. Maur On The Cover!
    By BloodyHorns82 in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08-03-2006, 05:19 AM
  5. Under cover cop cars.
    By triedandtruevikesfan in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 05-04-2006, 11:13 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •