Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Could The Vikings Promote a CB to Saftey? (Edited Title to Protect the Innocent

Edit.
    Since posting this there has been some great posts on possibly Griffing switching to S vice Winfield.
    See the videos twards the end of page 3.

Even though I've read it a couple of times now and I've posted comments in several threads as well, it seems that the concensus is that most people wouldn't want him to because of his size and worries about injuries.

Let me throw a few things out there that might make you change your mind.

a.
    The Vikings need help at FS.
    b.
    The best option for help would be to have a guy from the team who knows the scheme get promoted.
    Normally that would be young safety that the staff thinks can handle the load.
    c.
    It doesn't appear that there is a young Safety on the roster that can fill that role other than Eric Frampton 5'11", 205 lbs. (Winny is 5'9" 180 lbs.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/player...playerId=10608
    d.
    A Saftey would have to be a sure tackler not afraid to help out in stopping the run.
    Winny sure has that covered.
    e.
    Bob Sanders. 5'8" 206lbs.
    Defensive Player of the year. Wow, a little guy.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3185005

Why would it be such a stretch to think that Winfield couldn't drop back and play FS for the Vikes.
    Only issue I see is that he would have to add at least 15 lbs and still maintain his speed.

He is a sure tackler known for his love of helping out in the run, he would provide an instant upgrade at the FS position in relation to pass defense and would still be able to keep his head in the run game support.

Just seems to me, based on the DB out there in FA that it would make sense to move him to FS (better options at CB available than S in the FA market) and bring in another CB if you wanted to maintain some Vet leadership for your up and coming CB's.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2008/...eagentsDB.html

Thougths.

:
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Could Winfield Move to Safety?

Personally I think it actually makes us weaker in the secondary. IMO the #2 CB is the weakest position in the secondary.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

If you can find a free agent corner who can cover man to man, I'm for it. That would allow blitzing when neccesary.
    If you plan on having McCauley start at corner, forget it. He needs another year or two in the nickel. Hell, I'm not even sold on Griffin yet!
    I think a quality safety will be drafted this year and Winfield will stay where he's at.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

litlharsh is offline Coordinator

Why do you end seemingly every post with
    :

I don't know that Winfield couldn't do it, but I don't think it makes us better.

The one thing that I want to see in a FS is 'range.'
    That is, I want a guy that's fast enough to cover the entire field.
    Preferably, I want a guy that's so fast that he gets places the QB doesn't think he can get to.
    My thinking is that speed is the thing that makes guys like Polamalu elite at the position.

I don't think that Winfield has that elite speed and athletic ability.

I also don't think that time in the system is as important for a FS in this system.
    You need someone out there that can set up the defense every play, but that doesn't have to be a safety.
    Mostly the FS is playing a deep zone, which anyone that has played the position in college will be able to step in and play.
    I think it's easy enough to pick up the wrinkles in training camp and each week.
    While more experience is preferable, I don't think it's that big of a deal at this position.
    Basically, I think we could bring in a rookie if we needed to and he would be fine.

And finally, as for Winfield tackling, I think he is a very reliable tackler, but not an elite hitter.
    I really like him at the corner because what he's really good at is getting off a block in space.
    I just haven't seen any WR's that can block the guy.
    Even when they have position, he's able to get around and get to the ball carrier.

So I say 'no' for now because I think his talent aligns more with the CB spot and he's more valuable to us there.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

damien927 is offline Asst. Coach

Personally I would rather have a safety that is imposing and will knock a guys teeth out every once in a while.
    While Winny is as sure of a tackler there is out there.... He doesn't light people up on a regular basis.
    I would rather draft Kenny Phillips and keep Winny at his true position. JMHO

Thanks Lotza!

"litlharsh" wrote:
    Why do you end seemingly every post with
    :
    I'm a happy guy.
    Who the hell knows.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"Overlord" wrote:
    I don't know that Winfield couldn't do it, but I don't think it makes us better.

The one thing that I want to see in a FS is 'range.'
    That is, I want a guy that's fast enough to cover the entire field.
    Preferably, I want a guy that's so fast that he gets places the QB doesn't think he can get to.
    My thinking is that speed is the thing that makes guys like Polamalu elite at the position.

I don't think that Winfield has that elite speed and athletic ability.

I also don't think that time in the system is as important for a FS in this system.
    You need someone out there that can set up the defense every play, but that doesn't have to be a safety.
    Mostly the FS is playing a deep zone, which anyone that has played the position in college will be able to step in and play.
    I think it's easy enough to pick up the wrinkles in training camp and each week.
    While more experience is preferable, I don't think it's that big of a deal at this position.
    Basically, I think we could bring in a rookie if we needed to and he would be fine.

And finally, as for Winfield tackling, I think he is a very reliable tackler, but not an elite hitter.
    I really like him at the corner because what he's really good at is getting off a block in space.
    I just haven't seen any WR's that can block the guy.
    Even when they have position, he's able to get around and get to the ball carrier.

So I say 'no' for now because I think his talent aligns more with the CB spot and he's more valuable to us there.
    Very good post. Sums it up well. I remember watching LaRon Landry and thinking how much better he makes the rest of the defense.Fast, hard hitting and the type of guy we need. That's why I think we draft a safety this year.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    If you can find a free agent corner who can cover man to man, I'm for it. That would allow blitzing when neccesary.
    If you plan on having McCauley start at corner, forget it. He needs another year or two in the nickel. Hell, I'm not even sold on Griffin yet!
    I think a quality safety will be drafted this year and Winfield will stay where he's at.
    I still think they go with Saftey as the first pick this year no matter what.

Additionally, I think it would be easier to bring a CB into this scheme than a saftey.
    Second option is that there seems to be more CB's available (quality) than S's this year.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

I would say no. I just don't see a point in it. I really want Asante Samuel and hope we can get him. If we can't get him I would be happy with Trufant. We need a CB via FA not the draft. McCauley and Griffin are learning and I think will be solid in a couple years. We would be dangerous with Samuel, Winfield, Griffin, and McCauley. Gordon as a backup. I really want to keep Smith and Sharper back there. I think they both play with a lot of heart.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast