Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Could the Vikings Be a Playoff Team in 2011?

Quote Originally Posted by "BloodyHorns82" #1106569
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1106568
    What are your concerns? How can I help alleviate those concerns? Ole Marrdro is ready to sell you on this team. Just need to know what your hurdles to completely buying in are so I can address them for you. B)
    My concerns are as follows:

1.) O-line struggled last year and likely will continue into this season
    2.) WR corps is average at best
    3.) QB played bad last year and has to pick up a new offense this year
    4.) New coaching staff
    5.) Safeties are suspect....at best
    6.) D-line has been declining, little reason to believe there will be improvement - especially with KWill's foot and Asshat gone.
    7.) Both the Packers and Lions should be looking even better than last year and their strengths play into our weakness.

I don't think we're going to be terrible, but I do think with the problems mentioned above that we'll be lucky to finish 8-8.
    All valid concerns.......
    1.) They struggled last year, to use your words, and yet were graded out 13th in the league and that was with 3 backups in there. My guess, and they still have some bugs to work out, they won't be any were near that this year.

I'm looking for top 10 (about 7th/8th) mostly cause:
    a. Hutch and Herrera look to be healthy
    b. Sully (again Healthy) looked to be able to handle the bigger NT's (like he did in 2009)
    c. Regardless of what most papers say, they didn't change the blocking scheme very much.
    d. Most importantly, Dnabb loves to dumb off to his checkdowns ALOT.

2.) Watch the scheme. I think our WR corps is going to be a perfect fit to support it. My biggest worry here isn't the WR's, its do we have enough TE's.

3.) Whats the name of that song....."Smooth Operator". With his full offensive weapon set and a somewhat glorified gameplan, he looked pretty damn good.

Again, I think the QB and the other players on offense fit the scheme to a tea. Don't think we are going to see alot of Berrian deep like we did the Dallas game but I think we saw that we can exploit it if its there as teams cheat up to take AD, Percy and the TE's out of the mix.

4.) Still undecided on Musgrove but I'm warming to him. Pagac more than showed what he can do last year when given a chance.

I am suprised that Lelsie went ahead and made a couple of bonehead things like that challenge against Dallas but so far I'm happy with his approach to things.

5.) Our S's, like our CB's, will play to the level that our DL will allow them. If we have to start using LB'rs to get pressure, yes, we will see our S's and CB's looking silly but it isn't a fault of the S's. They are just Cover 2 S's. Expecting them to play anything other than that is kindof out there.

On a side note, I do expect to see Griff and Cook help in this area as they can single up at times if they aren't asked to do it every down. That should allow our S's to play deep 1/4rs and also be ready to take good angles in run support.

6.) Not much help here. Other than ole Shortwell, our DT rotation and its ability to collapse a pocket worry me. I don't think its gonna be bad enough that we can't finish well this year though.

I'm kindof banking on Coach Pagac to "use his players" the right way to overcome this.

7.) I'm not worried about the PUKERS. Everyone is so jazzed about them getting better cause they are getting players back off the IR. Take a close look at who they got back, then look at who they lost in FA.

The Lions on the other hand, ........Watch those DT's. Thats what DT play is all about. Get me one of those warpigs and I will be overjoyed.

By the way, the PUKERS lost one of their Warpigs with no real replacement.

There is my sales pitch. Hope your now ready to get on the 10-6/11-5 bandwagon my friend. :lol:
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1106567
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1106557
    Wheras I prefer to think realistically and ifwe do make the playoffs be pleasantly surprised, rather than be disappointed ifwe suck.
    There is no way in heck this team is gonna suck this year.
    Funny, I thought the same thing last year. And last year we had all the reasons int he world to be optimistic. This year, there are some serious doubts at many positions.

TheAnimal93 is offline Team Alumni

Well, I have yet to join the McNabb bandwagon. I dont see us going anywhere, not even close to the playoffs. Will be lucky to finish 8-8.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Marty,

It was the Dallas Cowboys, not the Patriots, not the Packers. And we still lost.

AD looked like a well oiled machine out there, the rest of the team, sans a few players, did not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3-eavMSBnk

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

My concerns are as follows:

They generally find a way to screw things up so I figure if we expect them to suck ass maybe they will screw up and do really well.

At least that is the line I am going to take.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Too many good teams in our division let alone the NFC for a team like us to make the playoffs. For once, my hopes are not high at all for this season.

But this is why we play the games and do not crown a champion in September.
    We're bringing purple back.

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1106624
    Marty,
    It was the Dallas Cowboys, not the Patriots, not the Packers. And we still lost.
    It was pre-season.

Watch the games for what they are. Staffs working on certain things to see how they will work or looking at players to see how they function in certain roles.

Very few staffs, if any, are out there trying to win games.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman

I am with you Gregair. If you look at this logically we are not going to make the playoffs unless we knock off some really good teams. I have us going 7-9. Looking at the playoff picture I see the division cahmps as Pukers, Saints, Eagles, Rams. The two wild card teams are the Falcons and the Lions!! Even if they faulter we are behind IMO the Bucs, Bears, Giants & Cowgirls. So if you look at it logically we have a very dim shot at the playoffs this year. The top ten teams will fight it out for six positions and we will have to hope for next year.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by "tarkenton10" #1106776
    I am with you Gregair. If you look at this logically we are not going to make the playoffs unless we knock off some really good teams. I have us going 7-9. Looking at the playoff picture I see the division cahmps as Pukers, Saints, Eagles, Rams. The two wild card teams are the Falcons and the Lions!! Even if they faulter we are behind IMO the Bucs, Bears, Giants & Cowgirls. So if you look at it logically we have a very dim shot at the playoffs this year. The top ten teams will fight it out for six positions and we will have to hope for next year.
    After we beat the Chargers week you, you and your kind (Pessimist) will all come join my kind (Optimist).

JK my friend. I think I am looking at it pretty logically. Your one of the better posters on here......Tell me were I'm going wrong.

From a previous post.....
    1.) They struggled last year, to use your words, and yet were graded out 13th in the league and that was with 3 backups in there. My guess, and they still have some bugs to work out, they won't be any were near that this year.

b. Sully (again Healthy) looked to be able to handle the bigger NT's (like he did in 2009)
    c. Regardless of what most papers say, they didn't change the blocking scheme very much.

2.) Watch the scheme. I think our WR corps is going to be a perfect fit to support it. My biggest worry here isn't the WR's, its do we have enough TE's.

3.) Whats the name of that song....."Smooth Operator". With his full offensive weapon set and a somewhat glorified gameplan, he looked pretty damn good.

Again, I think the QB and the other players on offense fit the scheme to a tea. Don't think we are going to see alot of Berrian deep like we did the Dallas game but I think we saw that we can exploit it if its there as teams cheat up to take AD, Percy and the TE's out of the mix.

4.) Still undecided on Musgrove but I'm warming to him. Pagac more than showed what he can do last year when given a chance.

I am suprised that Lelsie went ahead and made a couple of bonehead things like that challenge against Dallas but so far I'm happy with his approach to things.

5.) Our S's, like our CB's, will play to the level that our DL will allow them. If we have to start using LB'rs to get pressure, yes, we will see our S's and CB's looking silly but it isn't a fault of the S's. They are just Cover 2 S's. Expecting them to play anything other than that is kindof out there.

On a side note, I do expect to see Griff and Cook help in this area as they can single up at times if they aren't asked to do it every down. That should allow our S's to play deep 1/4rs and also be ready to take good angles in run support.

6.) Not much help here. Other than ole Shortwell, our DT rotation and its ability to collapse a pocket worry me. I don't think its gonna be bad enough that we can't finish well this year though.

I'm kindof banking on Coach Pagac to "use his players" the right way to overcome this.

7.) I'm not worried about the PUKERS. Everyone is so jazzed about them getting better cause they are getting players back off the IR. Take a close look at who they got back, then look at who they lost in FA.

The Lions on the other hand, ........Watch those DT's. Thats what DT play is all about. Get me one of those warpigs and I will be overjoyed.

There is my sales pitch. Hope your now ready to get on the 10-6/11-5 bandwagon my friend.

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1106778
    Quote Originally Posted by "tarkenton10" #1106776
    After we beat the Chargers week you, you and your kind (Pessimist) will all come join my kind (Optimist).

JK my friend. I think I am looking at it pretty logically. Your one of the better posters on here......Tell me were I'm going wrong.

From a previous post.....

There is my sales pitch. Hope your now ready to get on the 10-6/11-5 bandwagon my friend.
    You are not going wrong at all evaluating our team. I am just looking at the schedule and the math doesn't add up to more than 7 wins unless we beat some very good teams.

We play terrible on the road and as a league teams traveling to the west coast teh last two years have a 10% winning percentage. so SD is a loss to me. TB is a toss up but I think we will beat them as well. Detroit is at home so I put it in the win column but I have a nagging suspicion they will sweep us this year. Kc away -lose. Arizona we beat at home then lose at chi. That will make opur record 3-3. Beat Carolina and Oak then the Pukers Sweep us again (5-5). We beat denver wash. and CHi? And lose to Atlanta Detroit and New orleans. That puts us at 8-8. However I gave us a win against both Chi and Det. I think one of those teams will sweep us probably the Bores we have had a problem with them historically. So we have to avoid a sweep of Det or Chi and Beat TB which is a toss up anyway. But then again I think KC is a toss up too. I think we can beat them in KC but the two games (KC & TB) I think we split which means 8-8 at best but Chi may sweep us so 7-9. 6-10 if det sweeps us!!

If we want to make the playoffs we have to split with our division rivals, any sweeps and we are done!!
    My Friend!! (MARRDROESE)

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast