Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Could the Vikings Be a Playoff Team in 2011?

I want to say something. Iím going to put it out there, and if you like it, you can take it; if you donít, send it right back.

The Minnesota Vikings will make the playoffs.

Well, they could anyway, which is close enough.

A few weeks ago I predicted the Arizona Cardinals could be this yearís sleeper team. For a brief second I thought about picking the Vikings, but that went against the whole column.

Iíve since changed my mind.

Think about it. Theyíre younger at quarterback, have the best running back in the league, a still semi-decent run defense, and a pretty darn good receiver in Percy Harvin. They will also benefit from playing a fourth place schedule.

The Vikings could potentially be 6-2 or 5-3 when their bye week rolls around, just in time for their yearly trip to Lambeau Field. With games against Oakland, Denver, Washington and home against Chicago in the second half of the season, it is not entirely impossible for this team to finish 9-7.
    Could the Minnesota Vikings Be a Playoff Team in 2011?

There is a certain yutz on here that has been saying they will be 10-6/11-5 this year.

Sounds like some people are starting to maybe, just maybe, buy into that train of craziness.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Could the Vikings Be a Playoff Team in 2011?

So since there were fewer than nineteen threads about this subject it necessitated the creation of yet another?

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1106547
    I want to say something. Iím going to put it out there, and if you like it, you can take it; if you donít, send it right back.

A few weeks ago I predicted the Arizona Cardinals could be this yearís sleeper team. For a brief second I thought about picking the Vikings, but that went against the whole column.

Think about it. Theyíre younger at quarterback, have the best running back in the league, a still semi-decent run defense, and a pretty darn good receiver in Percy Harvin. They will also benefit from playing a fourth place schedule.

The Vikings could potentially be 6-2 or 5-3 when their bye week rolls around, just in time for their yearly trip to Lambeau Field. With games against Oakland, Denver, Washington and home against Chicago in the second half of the season, it is not entirely impossible for this team to finish 9-7.

There is a certain yutz on here that has been saying they will be 10-6/11-5 this year.

Sounds like some people are starting to maybe, just maybe, buy into that train of craziness.
    Yeah, except he's not saying 10-6 or 11-5, he's saying that maybe...just MAYBE they COULD finish 9-7 and sneak their way into a wildcard berth. Not exactly lighting the league on fire eh? :P

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1106550
    So since there were fewer than nineteen threads about this subject it necessitated the creation of yet another?
    I think so. The dates of the others aren't conduscive to getting max PPO participation. A new one will.

Besides, are you now a deputy of Z's "Keep Marrdro In Line Police"? :whistle:
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "BloodyHorns82" #1106551

Yeah, except he's not saying 10-6 or 11-5, he's saying that maybe...just MAYBE they COULD finish 9-7 and sneak their way into a wildcard berth. Not exactly lighting the league on fire eh? :P
    I hear ya, but its alot better read than alot of the 5-11 stuff we've been subjected to for what seems like an eternity. B)

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm damn tired of the negative Nancy approach to this season.

I'm ready to get excited for some Vikings Football. Already looking at schedules to see what game Wildwoman and I are coming home to help celebrate a victory.

Little brother has tickets to the Bores game. Might be a candidate.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1106554
    Quote Originally Posted by "BloodyHorns82" #1106551

I hear ya, but its alot better read than alot of the 5-11 stuff we've been subjected to for what seems like an eternity. B)

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm damn tired of the negative Nancy approach to this season.

I'm ready to get excited for some Vikings Football. Already looking at schedules to see what game Wildwoman and I are coming home to help celebrate a victory.

Wheras I prefer to think realistically and ifwe do make the playoffs be pleasantly surprised, rather than be disappointed ifwe suck.

Little brother has tickets to the Bores game. Might be a candidate.[/quote]

Fair enough, although it seems the majority on here were around 8-8, give or take. I think 10-6 and 11-5 are very optimistic figures.

I don't think we're going to have a very great year. I'd be pretty happy if we finished 9-7 coming off a 6-10 year. I'm not down about it though and I'm certainly not trying to bring other more optimistic people down with me. Optimism is a great thing.

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1106557
    Wheras I prefer to think realistically and ifwe do make the playoffs be pleasantly surprised, rather than be disappointed ifwe suck.
    There is no way in heck this team is gonna suck this year.

Could we have some injury issues that stretch our depth? Sure, but if we do that, it really isn't that we suck, its that we just ran out of players.

Right now, atleast for me, the only two roster spots that I'm concerned about depth on is our DT's and maybe QB.

Get me a warpig in here that we can collapse a pocket with and I'm damn near doing backflips over how optimistic I am this year and even without one, I still pretty fricken jazzed.

Lots and Lots and Lots and Lots of these here emoticons.......:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Quote Originally Posted by "BloodyHorns82" #1106558

Fair enough, although it seems the majority on here were around 8-8, give or take. I think 10-6 and 11-5 are very optimistic figures.

I don't think we're going to have a very great year. I'd be pretty happy if we finished 9-7 coming off a 6-10 year. I'm not down about it though and I'm certainly not trying to bring other more optimistic people down with me. Optimism is a great thing.[/quote]
    What are your concerns? How can I help alleviate those concerns? Ole Marrdro is ready to sell you on this team. Just need to know what your hurdles to completely buying in are so I can address them for you. B)

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1106568
    What are your concerns? How can I help alleviate those concerns? Ole Marrdro is ready to sell you on this team. Just need to know what your hurdles to completely buying in are so I can address them for you. B)
    My concerns are as follows:

1.) O-line struggled last year and likely will continue into this season
    2.) WR corps is average at best
    3.) QB played bad last year and has to pick up a new offense this year
    4.) New coaching staff
    5.) Safeties are suspect....at best
    6.) D-line has been declining, little reason to believe there will be improvement - especially with KWill's foot and Asshat gone.
    7.) Both the Packers and Lions should be looking even better than last year and their strengths play into our weakness.

I don't think we're going to be terrible, but I do think with the problems mentioned above that we'll be lucky to finish 8-8.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast