Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: This could get ugly - Vikings Season Could Spiral Out of Control

Looks like several teams on our schedule that were supposed to be good really aren't...and others are maybe better than we thought.
    The easy games maybe are the hard ones...and the upcoming ones that are supposed to be hard may end up being the easy ones!
    Play on, VIKES!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"TARKenton" wrote:
    fix the line, and that will fix alot of the problems.
    it doesnt matter who is at qb, they have no time to throw.

i really think we can win some of our upcoming games, starting with the fudgepackers this weekend.
    chicago is a joke, philly is beatable, and san diego has no defense.
    i will chalk up the dallas game as a big fat L, they seem to be the best the nfc has to offer.
    I realize the line has not been as good as we thought it would be, but it isn't nearly as bad as some people are trying to say it was. On atleast 2 of tjack ints against the lions he had plenty of time to throw, he just made bad decisions. Teams are getting alot of pressure on blitzes and that is when you need an outlet reciever who can get the ball quickly and make the defense pay.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Honestly I think it's more than just the front line.
    There were several times where Holcomb had time to throw and held the ball too long or over-threw the WR.
    He looked scared once he was hit for the first time.
    He should have never taken the sack before the end of the first half.
    He had a RB close to him that was open and probably had a lot of running room if he had
    the ball.

We can't just blame the OL here.
    I will say there were times when there wasn't time to throw but it goes both ways here.

"ejmat" wrote:
    There were several times where Holcomb had time to throw and held the ball too long or over-threw the WR.
    He had a RB close to him that was open and probably had a lot of running room if he had
    the ball.

I will say there were times when there wasn't time to throw but it goes both ways here.
    Better to take the sack than risk the INT...just look at when TJack flung the ball while almost getting sacked in the ATL game....it was stupid!

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    the ball.

Better to take the sack than risk the INT...just look at when TJack flung the ball while almost getting sacked in the ATL game....it was stupid!
    Definately stupid.
    From my vision on the play the RB looked like he was open.
    However, Nodak pointed out he saw a LB about 5 yards from the play that may have been able to INT.
    So, I can't debate any of that.
    Still there were times when he had time to throw and that overthrow to Ferguson was terrible.

vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

Re: This could get ugly

"vike_mike" wrote:
    Well what does that tell you.
    It tells me there are some serious problems on offense.
    This is exactly what Antoine Winfield was hollering about a few months ago.
    Looks like Kevin Curtis is having a great year so far.
    I wonder why he picked Philly over us?
    Hmmm, I wonder.
    He was a free agent looking for a team.
    He wants to play where he has the best chance to produce.
    The Eagles have Donovan McNabb at quarterback and the Vikings have Tarvaris Jackson.
    Which would you want to play with?

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "vike_mike" wrote:
    Could it be that he recognized the OL was gonna suck so bad the the QB would have time to put the ball in his hands?

Come on, it can't be the scheme as all the haters were saying last week that we run the same scheme as the Eagles and look what they put up this week.

Can't be the coach as all the haters said he ran the same scheme as the Eagles, again, look what they put up last week.

What else can it be?
    HMMMM,

Young players (2nd Year CB) missing tackles?
    TE who can't catch? Oops, he did catch a few.
    Slot guy who can't catch?
    Wait, he had some tough catches yesterday as well.

Nope, I think it all comes back to the trenches. OL that can't pass block and a DL that can't get any kindof consistent pressure on the opposing teams QB.
    I'm one of those haters you're referencing. The point was not that we run the same scheme as the Eagles. The point, which we both agree on, is that we try to run the same scheme as the Eagles, but we don't have the talent to do that.

Your solution is to wait until the players get better.
    My solution is to change the gol 'darnit scheme.

If you want to blame the OL, you must admit that 3 of those 5 guys were brought in by Childress. With respect to the D. Chill himself says that our D has played well enough for us to be 3-0.
    Change to the scheme to fit whom?
    The young guys that will still make mistakes no matter what scheme they are in cause thier young?

Comeon man.
    Your smarter than that.

The scheme works, the young guys will fit the scheme, thats why they drafted them.
    Its just gonna take some time.
    Unfortunately timeline might be a bit longer than some anticipated.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "vike_mike" wrote:
    Could it be that he recognized the OL was gonna suck so bad the the QB would have time to put the ball in his hands?

Come on, it can't be the scheme as all the haters were saying last week that we run the same scheme as the Eagles and look what they put up this week.

Can't be the coach as all the haters said he ran the same scheme as the Eagles, again, look what they put up last week.

What else can it be?
    HMMMM,

Nope, I think it all comes back to the trenches. OL that can't pass block and a DL that can't get any kindof consistent pressure on the opposing teams QB.
    I'm one of those haters you're referencing. The point was not that we run the same scheme as the Eagles. The point, which we both agree on, is that we try to run the same scheme as the Eagles, but we don't have the talent to do that.

If you want to blame the OL, you must admit that 3 of those 5 guys were brought in by Childress. With respect to the D. Chill himself says that our D has played well enough for us to be 3-0.
    The young guys that will still make mistakes no matter what scheme they are in cause thier young?

Comeon man.
    Your smarter than that.

The scheme works, the young guys will fit the scheme, thats why they drafted them.
    How can you honestly say they will make mistakes no matter what the scheme is? Part of the OTA's and training camp + practice is to watch the players and see what they can do, what they can't do, and adjust accordingly.

As far as using one eagles game as evidence that their scheme works and can be successful, I will provide you with the Browns, who laid up 50+ points against the bengals, but have sucked otherwise and will continue to suck. Once in a while you catch a team just right and you have a chance to pile up on them and that is what happened in that game. If they played 10 more times it would never end up like that again. If you dispute that, then you really need to take a look at your homeboy Chilly and wonder how we could possibly lose to a team that can get lit up that easily.

If this whole thing was going to work we should be seeing more from it. Yes, mistakes will happen, but generally those mistakes come from being aggressive,which we are certainly not.Two years into a system a line should be able to do it;s job at least somewhat effectively, the receivers should be making most of their plays with an occasional incorrect route and a secondary that got torched last year should be able to stop someone at some point when they need to.

It doesn't take multiple years to see some progress. It may take time to get to the top but for gods sake, when you preach discipline and lead the league in penalties in your second year of instilling that discipline you gotta wonder about your effectiveness.

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "vike_mike" wrote:

What else can it be?
    HMMMM,

Comeon man.
    Your smarter than that.

How can you honestly say they will make mistakes no matter what the scheme is? Part of the OTA's and training camp + practice is to watch the players and see what they can do, what they can't do, and adjust accordingly.

As far as using one eagles game as evidence that their scheme works and can be successful, I will provide you with the Browns, who laid up 50+ points against the bengals, but have sucked otherwise and will continue to suck. Once in a while you catch a team just right and you have a chance to pile up on them and that is what happened in that game. If they played 10 more times it would never end up like that again. If you dispute that, then you really need to take a look at your homeboy Chilly and wonder how we could possibly lose to a team that can get lit up that easily.

If this whole thing was going to work we should be seeing more from it. Yes, mistakes will happen, but generally those mistakes come from being aggressive,which we are certainly not.Two years into a system a line should be able to do it;s job at least somewhat effectively, the receivers should be making most of their plays with an occasional incorrect route and a secondary that got torched last year should be able to stop someone at some point when they need to.

It doesn't take multiple years to see some progress. It may take time to get to the top but for gods sake, when you preach discipline and lead the league in penalties in your second year of instilling that discipline you gotta wonder about your effectiveness.
    Derek Anderson might continue to surprise people...he's certainly more polished than TJack at this point!

jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

I say we all take a wait and see attitude as we are only 3 games into the season.
    At the halfway point of the year, we will have a better idea of how good or bad we will be.
    The reason we have coaches is so that they can coach and make personnel better, so let's coach 'em up and hope some of it sinks in and shows in their play on the field.
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12