Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni

Re: Could Childress Win with A QB?

"BBQ" wrote:
    Sure, he could win with a QB.
    The trouble is that he's got his OWN ideas as to what constitutes a good QB.
    key wurd being COULD, but hes obviouly showing the rest of us he CANT!, maybe we should try without one at all lol

stateVIKE44 is offline Pro-Bowler

There have been complaints about Childress' play calling (run, run, pass, punt) throughout the game. But if I remember right there were a lot of people also complaining at the beginning of the season that the Vikes were passing the ball way to much and that we had "one of the best backfields in the NFL" so why not run the ball more?

Perhaps Childress saw the numerous interceptions being thrown at the beginning of the season, saw that maybe he didn't have the talent he thought he did at quarterback, and now is stuck between a rock and hard place because he doesn't have confidence in his quarterback to make the throws they need to make, so really his only option is to give the ball to the playmakers on the team (AD, Chester). I'm sure he sees that his QB's are not performing at a level that they need to perform on.....I'm sure if TJ doesn't turn around, he will feel like an idiot.....I'm sure his is going to weigh his options in the offseason, but for right now HE IS STUCK! He has to do whatever he can to try and win this team some ball games, and if he is lacking confidence in his QB's at this point, he is going to try to win games by running the ball down the other teams throat.

IMO...
    "I play for the love of the game; I play because there is no greater feeling than hearing 80,000 fans screaming when you smack somebody!"
    ~ Jared Allen

Big C is offline Coordinator

Thats the frustrating part. Bollinger can make more throws than TJ can. However, when we started Bollinger last week, we played the same run, run, pass, punt offense. I'm not trying to say Bollinger is better than TJ here. My point is that Childress's inability to adjust the offense to the players skills is what's killing us.

Skilled players will come and go but the offense will always stink because the system is so rigid and cannot be tweaked. We need an OC to take the offense out of Chilli's hands (like the defense) and tweak the system to work with players strengths and weaknesses.

Other than for the offense, Chilli is doing a great job as HC.
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

MaxVike is online now Team Alumni

"singersp" wrote:
    "Mr-holland" wrote:
    Why are you guys talking about being 8-8 with great QB and great Wr's?
    you can be 11-5 easily with the team we have now and better Qb, and wr's are you crazy??
    Why would they be happy with 8-8?

Hell I thought the main reason they wanted Tice out is because they didn't like mediocrity.

Now two years later they'd be happy with it? Go figure....
    I'm not quite sure who "they" are, but, by no means did I imply 8-8 with "being happy."
    My point, clearly stated, is that, with MEDIOCRE QB play, we'd be over .500, in fact, I've been saying that for months.
    This post actually accentuates my point.
    This team is capable of much more, I'm interested in people's opinions as to whether the coach is.
    I don't think he is.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"huxx" wrote:
    "happy" wrote:
    Could Coach Childress win with a better QB?

Absolutely.

But this staff shipped out Culpepper, relied on Brad Johnson, passed on Drew Brees, hitched their wagon to Tarvaris Jackson, and used Mike McMahon, Brooks Bollinger, Drew Hensen, and Kelly Holcomb.

So to answer your question, yes. But they made their bed and are now lying in it.
    very true
    Well almost "Very True"

Culpepper didn't help the situation out either.
    Refusing to rehab in MN or even come back and at least look the new coach in the eyes.
    Resorted to emailing the local press hacks to try to get his agenda done.

Brad's arm went faster than anticipated.
    I do blame the organization (not just the Chiller) for not at least trying to keep him as a back up for TJ.

Drew Brees still had lots of questions regarding his arm. Lets remember hindsight is 20/20 here.
    Other teams past on Brees, including the Charges over this very issue.

Settled for TJ after missing out on Cutler and Clemens.
    Additionally, the FA QB's that have been available haven't been that stellar either.
    Only one that could/would have worked out would have been Garcia.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

I was not necessarily saying all those were bad. They are all part of the progression to the point we are at right now.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"MaxVike" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Mr-holland" wrote:
    Why are you guys talking about being 8-8 with great QB and great Wr's?
    you can be 11-5 easily with the team we have now and better Qb, and wr's are you crazy??
    Why would they be happy with 8-8?

Hell I thought the main reason they wanted Tice out is because they didn't like mediocrity.

Now two years later they'd be happy with it? Go figure....
    I'm not quite sure who "they" are, but, by no means did I imply 8-8 with "being happy."
    My point, clearly stated, is that, with MEDIOCRE QB play, we'd be over .500, in fact, I've been saying that for months.
    This post actually accentuates my point.
    This team is capable of much more, I'm interested in people's opinions as to whether the coach is.
    I don't think he is.
    "They" are not you. "They" are the ones who wanted Tice out because he was mediocre & yet have claimed they would be happy if Childress finished 8-8 this season after being 6-10 last year.

That's 14-18 & worse than what they wanted to get rid of, yet they are happy?
    :-

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

leftoverture is offline Waterboy

So far, Childress hasn't shown much in the way of game planning skills.
    I liked opening with the trick play last week, a sign that maybe he's been simplifying the playbook due to lack of confidence in the players he has.
    But maybe T-Jack and some others are under preforming because the coaching is poor.
    As of right now, I think Childress needs to be replaced but if he can turn it around in the final 6 games and show me something, I will change my mind.
    I think the Giants game is a real test.

(By the way. . .the defense might just look better if the offense could keep them off the field!)

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"leftoverture" wrote:
    I liked opening with the trick play last week, a sign that maybe he's been simplifying the playbook due to lack of confidence in the players he has.
    But maybe T-Jack and some others are under preforming because the coaching is poor.
    As of right now, I think Childress needs to be replaced but if he can turn it around in the final 6 games and show me something, I will change my mind.

(By the way. . .the defense might just look better if the offense could keep them off the field!)
    I think it is the other way around my friend.
    Think of it this way, would you give a 3rd grader a 12th graders math book and expect him to learn it?
    I think not.
    You would give him a 3rd grade math book, get him to master that and then move on to the 4th, 5th, etc etc.

We started with a limited playbook that gets opened a bit more every week as the players get more comfortable with the overall scheme and thier experience level in that scheme (Vet and Rook alike) grows.

Every week, if one cares to notice, the plays to get more and more complicated to include the addition of another trick/gadget play into the set someplace.

On defense, we started out with our base 4-3, now we are a team that bounces back and forth between the 4-3 and 3-4.
    That is very hard to coach and as hard for the players to execute. But as the players get used to it and can execute it on a regular basis with consistency it will be very hard to defend against a defense that can play both at will.

On offense we see alot more motion (and not just from the TE like we saw early on).
    WR's faking reverses/running reverses, backs catching balls out of the back field, QB starting to roll out, OL blocking better (hell I even saw a big pocket last week) along with player sets like 2 WR's split wide with a TE standing/split next to them, 3 TE's w/FB and RB.
    All very intricate plays that defenses don't normally see.

Long story short, we are seeing more and more of the playbook as the team matures (young guys) and get comfortable with the scheme (Vets as well).

Back to the question of the thread........How good would this team be if they had a Vet QB of the stature/skill level of a Brady or Lord Favreee?
    Anyone with half a brain would agree that we would be right in the thick of things and most of the Chiller haters would be singing a different tune my friend.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "leftoverture" wrote:

I think it is the other way around my friend.
    Think of it this way, would you give a 3rd grader a 12th graders math book and expect him to learn it?
    I think not.
    You would give him a 3rd grade math book, get him to master that and then move on to the 4th, 5th, etc etc.

We started with a limited playbook that gets opened a bit more every week as the players get more comfortable with the overall scheme and thier experience level in that scheme (Vet and Rook alike) grows.

Every week, if one cares to notice, the plays to get more and more complicated to include the addition of another trick/gadget play into the set someplace.

On defense, we started out with our base 4-3, now we are a team that bounces back and forth between the 4-3 and 3-4.
    That is very hard to coach and as hard for the players to execute. But as the players get used to it and can execute it on a regular basis with consistency it will be very hard to defend against a defense that can play both at will.

On offense we see alot more motion (and not just from the TE like we saw early on).
    WR's faking reverses/running reverses, backs catching balls out of the back field, QB starting to roll out, OL blocking better (hell I even saw a big pocket last week) along with player sets like 2 WR's split wide with a TE standing/split next to them, 3 TE's w/FB and RB.
    All very intricate plays that defenses don't normally see.

Long story short, we are seeing more and more of the playbook as the team matures (young guys) and get comfortable with the scheme (Vets as well).

Back to the question of the thread........How good would this team be if they had a Vet QB of the stature/skill level of a Brady or Lord Favreee?
    Anyone with half a brain would agree that we would be right in the thick of things and most of the Chiller haters would be singing a different tune my friend.
    That is probably where the problem is then. It is pretty clear that with the exception of run blocking, the offense hasn't gotten their masters degree in anything so in your scenario what they are doing is installing new plays and formations before they have shown that they have mastered the formations from the previous week. Maybe they should go back to where they were last year in week 4 and go from there. ;D

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast