Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Big C is offline Coordinator

Re: Could Childress Win with A QB?

Like PurplePeopleEaters says, we will only be .500 team with a better QB. Childress has had TJ, Holcomb, Bollinger and Johnson at QB and none of them can get this offense working.

Our biggest need for 2008 is a legitimate offensive coordinator.

The Vikings haven't had a real OC since Linehan left. The 3/4 years we were with him we were a top 5 offense. The 4 years since (without a legitimate OC) we have been bottom 5. An OC is dedicated to implementing a scheme and tweaking it to suit his player personal. That's why Culpepper thrived under linehan and failed under every other OC.

Childress doesn't have the time to massage this offense to fit the players talents. You can have star QBs, RBs and WRs, but if you don't have a talented OC to put it all together, you're going nowhere.

Take Cottrell and Tomlin for example. Tomlin inherited the same talented defense that Cottrell was suffocating and they went from bottom 5 to top 5. That's what a good coordinator does.

If we don't get a new OC next year we should fire Childress. Rookie mistakes are expected and understandable. Stubbornness and pride are inexcusable.
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

vikesfargo is offline Asst. Coach

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    That said, we could be contending right now in the NFC if we had a QB, a WR, an o-line and a pass rush.
    That's a lot.

Childress is not the cause of all of our problems, people!! This has been building up for 15 years! Denny Green not developing a QB until late in his term as a coach. Mike Tice not properly developing Daunte. Green and Tice letting the defense go to hell. Tice putting all his chips on the "Randy Ratio."

We've had years of bandaids and at one point we had mostly bandaids. Now we're trying to build a new team on holdover gems like Kevin Williams and new stars like AD. For the most part, we just need upgraded personnel.

Vince Lombardi would not be leading this team to the playoffs. Bill Walsh would not get our quarterback in the Pro Bowl (especially this year). We lack pieces.

Give Childress a chance. He's trying to fix stuff. It's going to take time. We're young at QB and underskilled at key positions and this is a rebuilding stage.

Go Vikings!

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"Garland" wrote:
    Not with a Qb
    not in a tree
    not in a house
    not with a mouse
    not in the rain
    not on a train
    He can't win here
    he can't win there
    he can not win anywhere

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

Could Coach Childress win with a better QB?

Absolutely.

But this staff shipped out Culpepper, relied on Brad Johnson, passed on Drew Brees, hitched their wagon to Tarvaris Jackson, and used Mike McMahon, Brooks Bollinger, Drew Hensen, and Kelly Holcomb.

So to answer your question, yes. But they made their bed and are now lying in it.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

huxx is offline Pro-Bowler

"happy" wrote:
    Could Coach Childress win with a better QB?

Absolutely.

But this staff shipped out Culpepper, relied on Brad Johnson, passed on Drew Brees, hitched their wagon to Tarvaris Jackson, and used Mike McMahon, Brooks Bollinger, Drew Hensen, and Kelly Holcomb.

So to answer your question, yes. But they made their bed and are now lying in it.
    very true

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

Sure, he could win with a QB.
    The trouble is that he's got his OWN ideas as to what constitutes a good QB.

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

PurplePowerPunch is offline Pro-Bowler

"BBQ" wrote:
    Sure, he could win with a QB.
    The trouble is that he's got his OWN ideas as to what constitutes a good QB.
    Very true my friend.

ALL DAY!!!

Mr-holland is offline Team Alumni

Why are you guys talking about being 8-8 with great QB and great Wr's?
    you can be 11-5 easily with the team we have now and better Qb, and wr's are you crazy??
    Rosie O'Donnell is a dude!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Mr-holland" wrote:
    Why are you guys talking about being 8-8 with great QB and great Wr's?
    you can be 11-5 easily with the team we have now and better Qb, and wr's are you crazy??
    Why would they be happy with 8-8?

Hell I thought the main reason they wanted Tice out is because they didn't like mediocrity.

Now two years later they'd be happy with it? Go figure....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Jeremy is offline Starter

"MaxVike" wrote:
    Anyone?
    As I've been saying, I'm pissed that our Vikings have come to this sad state of affairs.
    Before the season started, I stated many times, that I thought this team could contend for a playoff spot with "mediocre" QB play.
    Quite obviously, we haven't had mediocre QB play...it's been aweful - that's a FACT.

Regardless of expectations of stats (mine were minimal for the QB) we would be over .500 (at a minimum) with mediocre QB contribution (2 victories alone if the "QB of the week" could hit a wide open receiver vs KC and Detroit).
    Furthermore, the Vikes would be 1-8, [size=10pt][size=10pt]yes, 1-8[/size][/size], without AD by my estimation.

Defense has underperformed, sorry, they have.
    There are some bright spots, but, I just had to let 30 people go at work...these guys need to buck up, and, I would bet you multiple cases of Liney's that they agree (if they don't, they should be fired, IMMEDIATELY).

OK, so, here's the question...Can Childress lead this team and WIN, with a good QB?
    Could Childress recognise a good QB if it jumped out of the ground and bit him in the face? So far he brouhgt in: Kelly Holcomb, Tavaris Jackson, Mike McMahon, Drew Henson, Brooks Bollinger and Tyler Thigpen.
    Detmer was another guy that signed for a few days and thankfully never saw the feild.

After looking over the QB's brought in thus far, I don't think Childress will ever have a good QB to win with. If he is around for another offseason, can we expect a late trade in the preseason for someone like Quinn Gray to to bolster our QB depth behind Tavaris Jackson? Will we argessive persue Rex Grossman in the offseason?

I for one have seen enough of the KAO and what it's capable of.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast