Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Could this be 1987 all over again?

I wanted to play the Packers in the 1st round too.

Shock is right, we have nothing to lose. Everyone and everything seem to be against us.

We lost both games to the Packers this season on last second field goals. 3 times is a charm. This time we will come through and send the Packers home. Boy will it be so sweet!
    Skol!
    Go Vikings!

I'm not so optimistic. What does this team have to be confident about? They roll over with their tails in between their legs when they are down by four, how are they going to go and win in the playoffs? And I am pretty sure our coach isn't capable of getting these guys to play either.

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Re: Could this be 1987 all over again?

"vikes can do" wrote:
    "shockzilla" wrote:
    This is looking awfully familiar to 1987...

This is a game in which the Pack will be favored, we all know that. The Vikes, on the other hand, are going to be told there's NO WAY they can win, it's Lambeau (outdoors, hint hint) in January, they've been playing like crap, they backed into the playoffs, etc. etc. etc... Well, that's the perfect setup, isn't it?

In 1987, the Vikes lost to the Redskins in the last game of the regular season. They had a talented but flawed team that year, finished a disappointing 8-7 (strike year), and basically backed into the playoffs. What happened? they went into New Orleans and whalloped a favored Saints team 44-10, then went to San Francisco and beat a HEAVILY favored 49ers team 36-24 (it wasn't that close), eventually losing the NFC Championship to the Redskins 17-10.

I can see this team doing the same thing, getting hot at the right time, going to a "favored" team's field and winning, getting some momentum. Is it possible, or is this year's team just too undisciplined?
    hey shock,
    was that san fran game the shit? that was sweet revenge. how much did the vikes hate the niners back then?
    I think that's pretty close to the best I've ever seen them play. AC had one HELL of a game!!!!
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"majorvikesfan" wrote:
    Ya anything can happen, but I don't think we will win in Green Bay. Actually, I don't think we could win anywhere right now. Our team has no confidence. They looked like a bunch of wooped pups on the bench today.
    I hope to god that that was rock bottom and they start to heal from here on out.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"T-Bone" wrote:
    There is no other team I would want to play right now than the packers. They are the only team that we would get all fired up to play against.
    That is the only good thing that came from yesterdays loss. We get to play the Pack. I want to kick their ass up and down the field.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Could this be 1987 all over again?

"shockzilla" wrote:
    This is looking awfully familiar to 1987...

This is a game in which the Pack will be favored, we all know that. The Vikes, on the other hand, are going to be told there's NO WAY they can win, it's Lambeau (outdoors, hint hint) in January, they've been playing like crap, they backed into the playoffs, etc. etc. etc... Well, that's the perfect setup, isn't it?

In 1987, the Vikes lost to the Redskins in the last game of the regular season. They had a talented but flawed team that year, finished a disappointing 8-7 (strike year), and basically backed into the playoffs. What happened? they went into New Orleans and whalloped a favored Saints team 44-10, then went to San Francisco and beat a HEAVILY favored 49ers team 36-24 (it wasn't that close), eventually losing the NFC Championship to the Redskins 17-10.

I can see this team doing the same thing, getting hot at the right time, going to a "favored" team's field and winning, getting some momentum. Is it possible, or is this year's team just too undisciplined?

It was a strike year, and the regular players went 8-4. The defense was 10 fold better than the defense that we are putting on the field on Sunday against the Packers.

They had the likes of Chris Doleman, Keith Mallard, Joey Browner and so forth.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

i think team morale is VERY LOW....

I don't even think they will be able to get up for Packer week...( I hope I'm soo wrong)...

They know they don't belong in the playoffs...Playoffs?...Playoffs?...

The team is demoralized....I just think they aren't playing the game

They are thinking way too much...they aren't having fun and are waiting for something bad to happen...It's all mental and right now we have a mentally weak team..bottom line...

They have no heart and make far too many mistakes.

And the only semblance to 1987 is the fact we played the skins the last game of the season.

Our curse is playing the Giants in the middle of the season...imagine if we played them on week 1...

we would have been like 5-11... VERY SAD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12