Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,321

    Cottrell should know Vinny...

    since he faced him every practice last year. I can't wait to see what tricks he has up his sleeve. He has already said he plans to take full advantage of the Vikes speed. I hope so because the Cowboys will be playing the ball control offense, trying to keep the ball away from us as much as possible because we don't take long to score.

    Meanwhile I fully expect Parcells to be very aggressive with the Cowboys D. He knows if the Cowboys fall behind to the Vikes offense they are done. They will try to get an early lead. But I don't know how much blitzing the Cowboys can afford to do with their troubles at right CB and FS.

    I really see a win here for the Vikes but they have to take the lead early. How many teams beat us last year when we scored first? None that I can think of.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

  2. #2
    whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,535

    Cottrell should know Vinny...

    The best way to stop Vinny from doing anything is to keep knocking him down, after he has been abused awhile he will start to throw it away and throw it up for grabs.

    The Boys were having Vinny roll out alot this preseaso because he is such a sitting duck in the pocket, we need to use some outside blitzies and corral him.

    Make him wish he had never been born.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

  3. #3
    Big Daddy's Avatar
    Big Daddy is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    275

    Cottrell should know Vinny...

    Hell yea knock him on his ass early and often!
    Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it but only you can feel it s warmth!

  4. #4
    Primetime42 is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    121

    Cottrell should know Vinny...

    I agree with your idea in theory, but I don't see it happening that way.

    1) This ain't the same crappy oline we've had for the past 3 years. Flozell Adams is becoming one of the dominant tackles in football. Larry Allen is getting back to being among the best guards in the game. Al Johnson is solid at center...this guy is tough to beat. If Andre Gurode keeps the mental mistakes to a minimum, he's also a gamer. Our only question is the Right Tackle, but I have a feeling Torrin Tucker is gonna have a pretty good year.

    2)Vinny ain't Quincy Carter. Yes, he can't move like him, but he ALSO won't make a stupid throw. He may be 40, but he's not a statue as all the rollouts Tuna's been calling will show you. If you blitz, he's gonna find the hole, reason being...

    3)Our Big 3 are better than your Big 3...Yes, I know, Randy Moss can do the work of 3 receivers any day. No doubt he is great. But I like our receivers against your secondary. Winfield's a hell of a corner, but we will give him some trouble.

    People write Keyshawn off as done. That's a dangerous mistake. I feel he can still hang with the best of them and he will be seeking to prove it this year.(As if to say F-U, Gruden). Antonio Bryant, if he can just keep his head in the game, is someone to watch out for. And Terry Glenn just might be the most underappreciated guy on our team. He's the deep threat, and if he can just step up and take a hit when need be, he's in good shape...

    If all else fails, give the ball to Jason Witten.

    But I digress, this game will be about ball control. If we are to win, we have to keep the ball out of Culpepper and Moss's hands
    [img:dcdefed64f]http://www.bluestarboys.com/prime.gif[/img:dcdefed64f]
    "Are you ready? Y all ready?...I m BAAAAAAAAAAACK!!! -Deion

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    72

    Re: Cottrell should know Vinny...

    "sdvikefan" wrote:
    since he faced him every practice last year. I can't wait to see what tricks he has up his sleeve. He has already said he plans to take full advantage of the Vikes speed. I hope so because the Cowboys will be playing the ball control offense, trying to keep the ball away from us as much as possible because we don't take long to score.

    Meanwhile I fully expect Parcells to be very aggressive with the Cowboys D. He knows if the Cowboys fall behind to the Vikes offense they are done. They will try to get an early lead. But I don't know how much blitzing the Cowboys can afford to do with their troubles at right CB and FS.

    I really see a win here for the Vikes but they have to take the lead early. How many teams beat us last year when we scored first? None that I can think of.
    I dont see us blitzing very much as much as I see us relying on complez coverages to confuse Culpepper

    unfortunately, outside Newman, we dont have guys that are relaible

    Id prefer the slow death and try and force the Vikings to go the length of the field as opposed to the blitzkrieg..

  6. #6
    sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,321

    Cottrell should know Vinny...

    "Primetime42" wrote:
    I agree with your idea in theory, but I don't see it happening that way.

    1) This ain't the same crappy oline we've had for the past 3 years. Flozell Adams is becoming one of the dominant tackles in football. Larry Allen is getting back to being among the best guards in the game. Al Johnson is solid at center...this guy is tough to beat. If Andre Gurode keeps the mental mistakes to a minimum, he's also a gamer. Our only question is the Right Tackle, but I have a feeling Torrin Tucker is gonna have a pretty good year.

    2)Vinny ain't Quincy Carter. Yes, he can't move like him, but he ALSO won't make a stupid throw. He may be 40, but he's not a statue as all the rollouts Tuna's been calling will show you. If you blitz, he's gonna find the hole, reason being...

    3)Our Big 3 are better than your Big 3...Yes, I know, Randy Moss can do the work of 3 receivers any day. No doubt he is great. But I like our receivers against your secondary. Winfield's a hell of a corner, but we will give him some trouble.

    People write Keyshawn off as done. That's a dangerous mistake. I feel he can still hang with the best of them and he will be seeking to prove it this year.(As if to say F-U, Gruden). Antonio Bryant, if he can just keep his head in the game, is someone to watch out for. And Terry Glenn just might be the most underappreciated guy on our team. He's the deep threat, and if he can just step up and take a hit when need be, he's in good shape...

    If all else fails, give the ball to Jason Witten.

    But I digress, this game will be about ball control. If we are to win, we have to keep the ball out of Culpepper and Moss's hands
    I agree with you about Flozell Adams. I have seen him play a bit this preseason and I think he is one of the best OTs in the league. Larry Allen is old but can't be underestimated.

    The problem is, even if you match up well against our right side, you can't afford to double team Kevin Williams and he will take advantage of that. He had 10.5 sacks his rookie year and with both Hovan and Udeze on the right side in this game, Williams will be free to cause some problems in the backfield.

    Keyshawn is a good possession receiver and will probably be your go-to guy on 3rd downs. But neither Bryant or Glenn are nearly the deep threat that Randy Moss is, and Moss has shown he can beat double and even triple coverage. Now can he do that against Newman and Williams? Not sure, but you can't afford to ignore Burleson, Robinson and Campbell.

    I see the matchup of Winfield and Keyshawn as one key in this game. Both are very physical players. The advantage is with Keyshawn only because of the NFL's crackdown on the 5 yard bump rule.

    And you are right, the key for the Cowboys offense will be ball control. As I posted on your website, players like Julius Jones and Witten could cause problems for the Vikes because they will be featured in the Cowboys ball control offense. But this is not the defense of last year. The Vikes LBs have a lot more speed and are better coached, so I think they will be able to keep up.

    This will not be a blowout by either side, I see it as one of our closer games this year.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

  7. #7
    Primetime42 is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    121

    Cottrell should know Vinny...

    Cottrel is a good coordinator. Herm Edwards wanted to keep him, but Woody Johnson and the NY media would have none of it.

    He got run out of town because his defense couldn't tackle. As long as he doesnt try to teach the Vikes to tackle, you should be ok.
    [img:dcdefed64f]http://www.bluestarboys.com/prime.gif[/img:dcdefed64f]
    "Are you ready? Y all ready?...I m BAAAAAAAAAAACK!!! -Deion

  8. #8
    daredevil25's Avatar
    daredevil25 is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    63

    Cottrell should know Vinny...

    Vinny impressed me this preseason. The Jets offensive system just wasn't for him IMO. Parcells, ball control style fits him much better.

  9. #9
    hawaiianvike21 is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,412

    Cottrell should know Vinny...

    wow its so nice to see all the different fans on here giving different perspectives on each team. You know its almost opening day when more then one cowboy fan is on here discussing.

    AHhh yess football is almost here!!!!!!!! :cheers:
    Hupo oe ke kau ana i ka waiupa a ma kou pa o & Hupo na Po o waiupa a


  10. #10
    2fat4uVike's Avatar
    2fat4uVike is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    67

    Cottrell should know Vinny...

    "Primetime42" wrote:
    He got run out of town because his defense couldn't tackle. As long as he doesnt try to teach the Vikes to tackle, you should be ok.
    LOL, you must not have watched the turn-style arm tacklers we've had in recent years.
    088676aa021b660e4a867e020ba397cf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The Vinny Perretta thread
    By HEY in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 05-26-2009, 07:07 AM
  2. Patriots sign former Viking Vinny Ciurciu
    By singersp in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-05-2009, 11:51 AM
  3. Panthers sign 43 yr. old Vinny Testaverde to 1-year deal
    By singersp in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-11-2007, 02:13 PM
  4. My writer Vinny...
    By cajunvike in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-23-2004, 11:12 PM
  5. Vinny Testaverde
    By DoyleRulz84 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-01-2004, 01:02 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •