Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    PurpleElf Guest

Re: Cottrell Exited about D :)

Man that D-Line is hurt some people. Any guesses on how many QB's get taken by the Line? Im guessing at least 3 or 4

Del Rio Guest

I'm guessing the D line will have similar stats as it did last year. The only thing I see as being an imediate impact is run defense. I think you will see a lot less running backs making it 5 yards past the line of scrimmage. I also think runs around our end will be more easily contained.

I highly doubt you will see an increase in our number of sacks. I'd like to see more stunts and a variety of blitz packages.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"Del Rio" wrote:
    I'm guessing the D line will have similar stats as it did last year. The only thing I see as being an imediate impact is run defense. I think you will see a lot less running backs making it 5 yards past the line of scrimmage. I also think runs around our end will be more easily contained.

I highly doubt you will see an increase in our number of sacks. I'd like to see more stunts and a variety of blitz packages.

Erasmus James is extremely quick and will have a much better year, as far as pressuring the QB, than Udeze did last year IMO, if he can stay healthy. James, when healthy, is a replica of dwight freeny. I am not predicting a freeny type of year, but I bet he gets 8 or so sacks, with his unbelievable quickness off the ball. Also remember, udeze will be playing with a healthy shoulder this year, so his sacks should go up. Udeze isn't a speed rusher and that is why he struggled at times last year. Udeze is good at using his hands and upper body strength, to get O-lineman off balance, thus allowing him to get by. With a healthy shoulder, Udeze will definitely get a few more sacks, at least. Udeze is also playing LDE this year and compare him to our LDE last year mixon, and he will get more sacks than he did. Also, look at how much better our CB's are. We now have one of the best starting CB tandems in the league and have moved a starter from last year, to nickel CB. Our better CB's will mean more time for our D-line to get to the opposing teams QB.

I see us getting plenty more sacks this year.

Brax is offline Waterboy

I will hold my hopes in check until the D proves itself on the field. Remember when the Redskins went out and bought all the high priced D players? They did not gel and played poorly.

Udeze has not yet proven himself, yes he had a bad shoulder but still not a proven star.
    James had problems in mini camp against bigger O linemen, he won't be playing against college boys.
    Pat W. is older and will not be an every down guy.
    Sharper is older too and his numbers have been dropping off.
    Cowart has not impressed the coaching staff at mini camp.
    Harris is yet to live up to his draft position.

On the plus side, we have good depth. We can feild quality players in the nickel or dime. Last year our weak depth killed us. Barring any injuries we should be able to field a very good D.

All I am saying is let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Everyone one is pumping up this D so much it could be quite a let down. Let's just say we SHOULD be improved this year and leave it at that.

vikes09 is offline Hall of Famer

"Brax" wrote:
    I will hold my hopes in check until the D proves itself on the field. Remember when the Redskins went out and bought all the high priced D players? They did not gel and played poorly.

Udeze has not yet proven himself, yes he had a bad shoulder but still not a proven star.
    James had problems in mini camp against bigger O linemen, he won't be playing against college boys.

On the plus side, we have good depth. We can feild quality players in the nickel or dime. Last year our weak depth killed us. Barring any injuries we should be able to field a very good D.

All I am saying is let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Everyone one is pumping up this D so much it could be quite a let down. Let's just say we SHOULD be improved this year and leave it at that.
    questoin

how did udeze not prove himself? he didnt just prove to me he can play with a shoulder injury that was pretty serious (dont remember the exact injury) and still put up good DE numbers, he played brilliantly in my eyes.

of course james had problems with a "big lineman". wrong. he had trouble against "mount mckinnie". hes one of the better left tackles, AND THIS WAS HIS 1ST FREAKING PRACTICE. i dont expect him to dominate our starting left tackle his first day! in fact it even said he played extremely well when he was on the 2nd team.

pat w. is getting older, no one is arguing with that, but hes going to be a MAJOR help in run support. and i hope that hes not an every down guy considering passing downs.

sharper is old also, and granted his numbers are dropping off. but whats also dropping off are the quality players in green bay. his cornerbacks played horrendously and he had his hands way too full.

sam cowart hasnt impressed anybody? look at his previous stats and it shows that hes impressive. he doesnt really need to "prove" himself to hadrly anyone. im sure that tice and co. arent evaluating cowart for obvious reasons (they dont really need too) and so we arent seeing alot of article on them.

harris hasnt played in the position he exceled at. we are moving him back to that spot, but your right he hasnt lived up to his full expectations. he had to gain more wait and not play that quick blitzing game he is so good at in oakland.

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer

"vikes09" wrote:
    [quote]"Brax" wrote:

Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer

"vikes09" wrote:
    "Brax" wrote:

questoin

how did udeze not prove himself? he didnt just prove to me he can play with a shoulder injury that was pretty serious (dont remember the exact injury) and still put up good DE numbers, he played brilliantly in my eyes.

of course james had problems with a "big lineman". wrong. he had trouble against "mount mckinnie". hes one of the better left tackles, AND THIS WAS HIS 1ST FREAKING PRACTICE. i dont expect him to dominate our starting left tackle his first day! in fact it even said he played extremely well when he was on the 2nd team.

pat w. is getting older, no one is arguing with that, but hes going to be a MAJOR help in run support. and i hope that hes not an every down guy considering passing downs.

sharper is old also, and granted his numbers are dropping off. but whats also dropping off are the quality players in green bay. his cornerbacks played horrendously and he had his hands way too full.

sam cowart hasnt impressed anybody? look at his previous stats and it shows that hes impressive. he doesnt really need to "prove" himself to hadrly anyone. im sure that tice and co. arent evaluating cowart for obvious reasons (they dont really need too) and so we arent seeing alot of article on them.

harris hasnt played in the position he exceled at. we are moving him back to that spot, but your right he hasnt lived up to his full expectations. he had to gain more wait and not play that quick blitzing game he is so good at in oakland.
    The Washington thing isn't totally comparable. They brought in ancient players past 35 years whose best days are defintely past compared to 29, 30 and 31 year old people we picked up.
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

Wouldn't you be too if you went from having to build a defense with scrap heap players to actually now having some talent on that side of the ball.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

Brax is offline Waterboy

Cowart - New starting middle linebacker Sam Cowart apparently didn't make the greatest first impression on Tice during Friday's morning practice.

Asked what Cowart adds to the defense, Tice said, "To this point, it's hard to tell. We'll have to see when we get pads on. ... He's not going to wow me the way he is moving around in shorts, so it's going to have to be in pads."

Last year he played in only 8 games, had 20 tackles, 5 assists and no sacks.

Udeze - 16 games, 25 tackels, 11 assists and 5 sacks. I wouldn't call that lighting it up.

Whan Pat W. comes out on passing plays, who replaces him? Spencer Johnson?

Don't get me wrong, there is no one that would love to put a whipping on the Bears and Packers more than me. BUT I won't start hyping this D just to eat my words later.

They should be better than last year, but I will hold off calling the the second coming of the PPE until they play like them.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

yah Udeze was a rookie man.. and was gettin worn down towards the end of the season.. and with cowart atleast he will know what he is doing.. and its only MINI camp dude.. they are gettin back into football shape.. and who cares if spencer comes in? we still will get alot of pressure with our other ppl and spencer can apply some himself also

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast