Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

Cotrell...good coach???

Is it me or is the defensive play-calling suspect at best? I know we've had our share of injuries but there is no excuse to have such a talented secondary as we have and to be getting piked apart like we did.

Who in the hell is T. Shaw? and why was he covering A. Johnson?
    Where are the blitzes?
    Has Cotrell tried to mix it up a little? If we are dropping LB's and everybody back into coverage. in the nikel and so forth why aren't we playing bump-and-run coverage to throw off timing on short routes?

It seems to me O'leary could have done better to this point with the defense.

We are no better and maybe worse than last year?-so far

Where is the improvement?

And we won't address the offensive play-calling right now because we won but it's been questionable this year also.

VikemanX84 is offline Hall of Famer

Cotrell...good coach???

So Far, Cottrel has turned a defense that had real potential to be up in the top-10, into one that is again a libability.

This defense is much worse than last years. We have the talent though and Cottrell just needs to start coaching. I thought he was the wrong decision when he was hired, and so far he's done nothing but prove my point.
    When it s all said and done, you ll have to admit we re number 1!

skogs02 is offline Starter

Cotrell...good coach???

I think this defense is better then last years.Yes, he should be blitzing way more but he does do a good job putting the defense in good positions.The players just need to make the plays

sitandbehitski is offline Asst. Coach

Cotrell...good coach???

T. Shaw is our nickelback, replacing Irvin, and he was cover Andre Johnson because either B. Williams or A. Winfield was covering the slot reciever, like they always do. As for Cotrells coaching, I have thought he should be blitzing a little more, but he has been blitzing smart, every time he blitzes we don't get burned and usually get good pressure. Also, the D-Line was getting solid pressure, most of the catches were either underneath or nice bombs that were just nice catches by either Armstrong or Johnson.

Plus shaw had pretty good coverage on Johnson, Johnson just jumped higher and out-muscled him for it, if winfield was covering him it would have been the same result. Brian might have been able to prevent it, but no one else.
    I may be an a$$, but at least I m a smart one

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

Cotrell...good coach???

I, too, am wondering why we didn't have either Williams or Winfield on the Texans best receiver. I wonder if Williams knee might still be bothering him, or if it simply a speed issue (i.e. Shaw might be the fastest DB we have, and that is why he was covering Johnson).
    SKOL VIKINGS!

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Cotrell...good coach???

Going into that game i would have made a point to have Brian Williams covering him all game. Brian is about 207 i think witch is not bad size for a CB. When he came out of college he was benching 330 pounds, and i'm sure he's stronger. Hes a muscular physical guy. Not the fastest but not the slowest. I dont think Andre Johnson would over power Williams all game like he did to shaw. Brian Williams owned TO last year. If i was coaching that game i would have had him covering johnson every play he was on the field.

eelpout72 is offline Starter

Cotrell...good coach???

Its still early, but i must say im disappointed too. Anybody else notice that the Jets were ranked 21 in defense last year w/Cottrell and currently are ranked 9 this year without him? Vikes were 23 last year w/O'Leary and are now 31 with Cotrell.

Again, were only four games in but it seems we should be doing much better as our personnel has improved.

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

Cotrell...good coach???

I think Cottrell deserves some slack. There's been a lot of injuries, and we should start getting some guys back (LB's). Shaw's coverage was good, but you're right, he got outmuscled. A lot of the catches seemed like flukes, with decent coverage, ie. catching the ball upside down in the endzone, David Carr draped by defenders and blindly throws up a duck that was caught by Johnson for a touchdown, etc. Some of those will start going our way, and we'll get some int's. We're 3 - 1 with a defense that will only improve.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

Cotrell...good coach???

I agree there was some good coverage but Its still ridiculous that our defense, particularly our secondary is getting ate up like they are. I don't like the schemes or the play calling.

He better get is act together

hawaiianvike21 is offline Team Alumni

Cotrell...good coach???

The thing really dissapointing to me whether or not we have injuries is we dont generate a lot of turnovers and get picks like we did last year. Last year at this point, we had like 10 picks. Im still waiting for our first one this year. :evil: Also we dont have an aggresive scheme like we had last year with oleary. I sure in hell hope cottrell gets his act together and get our d to play a solid 60 mins with turnovers and sacks.
    Hupo oe ke kau ana i ka waiupa a ma kou pa o & Hupo na Po o waiupa a

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast