Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Cornerbacks and Smoot

We have a bunch of people and the press saying the Vikes need to look first for a cornerback who is fast and can play a "Cover 2" defense.
    I am not arguing the point but I am not seeing much at all about Smoot. I know he got off to a rocky start last year with his injuries and all, but aren't we considering him for a cornerback at all? We have Brian Williams and Winfield. And while we may lose Williams, we still got Winfield and Smoot.
    Is there someone who has more knowledge about this situation than I do? Do we really need to go after a big name FA cornerback or draft one early?
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Re: Cornerbacks and Smoot

I personally like out DBs right now....except for Ralph Brown. I don't know why there is so much talk about needing new corners.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    I personally like out DBs right now....except for Ralph Brown. I don't know why there is so much talk about needing new corners.
    The Vikings told Ralph last week that he would not be back with the team next year.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"whackthepack" wrote:
    "VKG4LFE" wrote:
    The Vikings told Ralph last week that he would not be back with the team next year.
    That made my day!

Del Rio Guest

I don't think we need to go out and try to land a big name guy. I do think we need to increase our depth at that position. Cover two deals with zone coverages.

We have talent at the position that if it is coached well should excel imo. I would like to see some solid backups though.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Winny>B-will>Smoot>Devonte>Gallishaw>New guy?

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

No, I don't think we need to go after big name sin FA, but Del is right, we need more depth. Smoot and Winfield will fit well in the Cover 2 scheme, and so will Williams if we get off our asses and sign him.

I have seen a little bit regarding our CBs in the press, but not too much. Most of it seems to be directed at replacing Chavous, which I agree is a need, but not our biggest.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

My take on the Cover 2 from the db perspective.

As Del points out the Cornerbacks have zone or gap responsibility. The two safeties basically have responsbility for either deep half of the field. The corner's have underneath coverage and the safeties supposedly have their backs on the over side. Its largely meant to be a a prevent for the deep play, but with athleticsm in the defensive backfield you can get more agressive. I.e., If you've trust your safeties to have your back then the corners can get more agressive, jam on the line and play tight underneath. Forces a QB to be more accurate and takes away some of the WR advantage.

With this in mind, I think corners like Smoot, Winfield, B-Will, and Devonte can all be effective. But it doesn't hurt to have more depth, because these guys will get more playing time (especially with all the leads will be taking into the second half this year). The safety position is a bigger issue to me. I think Sharper will be effective, but don't know if Chavous will flourish as a deep cover guy. This is where I would love to see an athletic FA or draft pickup (aka. Michael Huff).

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"tastywaves" wrote:
    With this in mind, I think corners like Smoot, Winfield, B-Will, and Devonte can all be effective. But it doesn't hurt to have more depth, because these guys will get more playing time (especially with all the leads will be taking into the second half this year). The safety position is a bigger issue to me. I think Sharper will be effective, but don't know if Chavous will flourish as a deep cover guy. This is where I would love to see an athletic FA or draft pickup (aka. Michael Huff).
    How would Griffin do it Huff is gone?? Move him back there. Bullocks ??

Will Griffin be around in the 2nd or 3rd Rnd.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

"snowinapril" wrote:
    "tastywaves" wrote:
    How would Griffin do it Huff is gone?? Move him back there. Bullocks ??

Will Griffin be around in the 2nd or 3rd Rnd.
    I was impressed with Griffin the last 2 years at Texas. He's strong, fast and a gamer. One of the things Chizik (current DC for the Longhorns) did when he came to UT last year was move the defense into more of a Cover 2. It was very sucessful as the results show, but he definitely had the talent in the DBfield to go with it. Griffin, Huff, Aaron Ross and Michael Griffin were all studs and the most impressive part of the Horns defense IMO. I thought Nathan Vasher was decent, but not in the same league as these guys and look what he's done. Nathan has brought his game up since joining the NFL, don't know if Cedric has the same attitude that has helped Nathan but I think he has a better starting point from an athletic standpoint.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast