Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40
  1. #1
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,005

    Cornerbacks and Smoot

    We have a bunch of people and the press saying the Vikes need to look first for a cornerback who is fast and can play a "Cover 2" defense.
    I am not arguing the point but I am not seeing much at all about Smoot. I know he got off to a rocky start last year with his injuries and all, but aren't we considering him for a cornerback at all? We have Brian Williams and Winfield. And while we may lose Williams, we still got Winfield and Smoot.
    Is there someone who has more knowledge about this situation than I do? Do we really need to go after a big name FA cornerback or draft one early?
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

    When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

  2. #2
    VKG4LFE's Avatar
    VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Hartford, WI
    Posts
    15,993

    Re: Cornerbacks and Smoot

    I personally like out DBs right now....except for Ralph Brown. I don't know why there is so much talk about needing new corners.

    I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

  3. #3
    whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,535

    Re: Cornerbacks and Smoot

    "VKG4LFE" wrote:
    I personally like out DBs right now....except for Ralph Brown. I don't know why there is so much talk about needing new corners.
    The Vikings told Ralph last week that he would not be back with the team next year.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

  4. #4
    ultravikingfan's Avatar
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    24,514

    Re: Cornerbacks and Smoot

    "whackthepack" wrote:
    "VKG4LFE" wrote:
    I personally like out DBs right now....except for Ralph Brown. I don't know why there is so much talk about needing new corners.
    The Vikings told Ralph last week that he would not be back with the team next year.
    That made my day!

  5. #5
    Del Rio Guest

    Re: Cornerbacks and Smoot

    I don't think we need to go out and try to land a big name guy. I do think we need to increase our depth at that position. Cover two deals with zone coverages.

    We have talent at the position that if it is coached well should excel imo. I would like to see some solid backups though.

  6. #6
    V4L's Avatar
    V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    20,612

    Re: Cornerbacks and Smoot

    Winny>B-will>Smoot>Devonte>Gallishaw>New guy?

  7. #7
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Cornerbacks and Smoot

    No, I don't think we need to go after big name sin FA, but Del is right, we need more depth. Smoot and Winfield will fit well in the Cover 2 scheme, and so will Williams if we get off our asses and sign him.

    I have seen a little bit regarding our CBs in the press, but not too much. Most of it seems to be directed at replacing Chavous, which I agree is a need, but not our biggest.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  8. #8
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,862

    Re: Cornerbacks and Smoot

    My take on the Cover 2 from the db perspective.

    As Del points out the Cornerbacks have zone or gap responsibility. The two safeties basically have responsbility for either deep half of the field. The corner's have underneath coverage and the safeties supposedly have their backs on the over side. Its largely meant to be a a prevent for the deep play, but with athleticsm in the defensive backfield you can get more agressive. I.e., If you've trust your safeties to have your back then the corners can get more agressive, jam on the line and play tight underneath. Forces a QB to be more accurate and takes away some of the WR advantage.

    With this in mind, I think corners like Smoot, Winfield, B-Will, and Devonte can all be effective. But it doesn't hurt to have more depth, because these guys will get more playing time (especially with all the leads will be taking into the second half this year). The safety position is a bigger issue to me. I think Sharper will be effective, but don't know if Chavous will flourish as a deep cover guy. This is where I would love to see an athletic FA or draft pickup (aka. Michael Huff).

  9. #9
    snowinapril's Avatar
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    13,404

    Re: Cornerbacks and Smoot

    "tastywaves" wrote:
    With this in mind, I think corners like Smoot, Winfield, B-Will, and Devonte can all be effective. But it doesn't hurt to have more depth, because these guys will get more playing time (especially with all the leads will be taking into the second half this year). The safety position is a bigger issue to me. I think Sharper will be effective, but don't know if Chavous will flourish as a deep cover guy. This is where I would love to see an athletic FA or draft pickup (aka. Michael Huff).
    How would Griffin do it Huff is gone?? Move him back there. Bullocks ??

    Will Griffin be around in the 2nd or 3rd Rnd.

  10. #10
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,862

    Re: Cornerbacks and Smoot

    "snowinapril" wrote:
    "tastywaves" wrote:
    With this in mind, I think corners like Smoot, Winfield, B-Will, and Devonte can all be effective. But it doesn't hurt to have more depth, because these guys will get more playing time (especially with all the leads will be taking into the second half this year). The safety position is a bigger issue to me. I think Sharper will be effective, but don't know if Chavous will flourish as a deep cover guy. This is where I would love to see an athletic FA or draft pickup (aka. Michael Huff).
    How would Griffin do it Huff is gone?? Move him back there. Bullocks ??

    Will Griffin be around in the 2nd or 3rd Rnd.
    I was impressed with Griffin the last 2 years at Texas. He's strong, fast and a gamer. One of the things Chizik (current DC for the Longhorns) did when he came to UT last year was move the defense into more of a Cover 2. It was very sucessful as the results show, but he definitely had the talent in the DBfield to go with it. Griffin, Huff, Aaron Ross and Michael Griffin were all studs and the most impressive part of the Horns defense IMO. I thought Nathan Vasher was decent, but not in the same league as these guys and look what he's done. Nathan has brought his game up since joining the NFL, don't know if Cedric has the same attitude that has helped Nathan but I think he has a better starting point from an athletic standpoint.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Vikings Need Cornerbacks In 2010
    By HEY in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-24-2010, 02:09 PM
  2. Top 5: Cornerbacks
    By PurplePride80 in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-09-2009, 12:34 PM
  3. Samuel to set the bar for cornerbacks
    By Prophet in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-12-2008, 03:49 PM
  4. Good Bye Fred Smoot NFL Network Reports smoot is done in minnesota
    By SuperVikes07 in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 03-01-2007, 12:47 PM
  5. Cornerbacks?
    By radthad in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-09-2003, 02:34 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •