Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Cornerback covers disappointment well

[size=18px]Cornerback covers disappointment well[/size]

Overcoming the frustration of losing his starting job to free agent Fred Smoot, Brian Williams has flourished in a variety of roles.

By Judd, Star Tribune
    Last update: November 19, 2005 at 7:59 PM

Brian Williams' displeasure with the Vikings' offseason decision to sign free agent Fred Smoot was understandable. To an upset Williams it appeared he had lost the starting cornerback job he had held the past two seasons.

In reality, Smoot's signing presented Williams with an opportunity that he couldn't have seen coming.

"Sometimes it's like a blessing in disguise when things happen," cornerback Ralph Brown said. "You feel they are bad at the time, but if you had known the long-term effect of it you'd probably be happy. But now it's working out for him, and everyone is raving about him now."

Raving might be a little strong, but there is no question NFL teams are taking notice of Williams, who will be an unrestricted free agent after the season. Shifted to the nickel back role, Williams found himself used in a variety of roles that suited his strengths. This included providing pressure on blitzes.

His best performance came in the Vikings' 27-14 victory over Detroit two weeks ago, when he had five tackles, a sack and forced a fumble. Smoot fractured his right collarbone in the same game, putting Williams back in his old role. He will make his second start of the season at right cornerback Monday night at Green Bay.

"The situation bringing in Fred worked out well for us defensively," said Williams, who intercepted a pass last Sunday in his first start against the Giants. "It gave us a lot of depth at the position. It's better for the team."

Williams outlook wasn't as sunny last March when Smoot received a $34 million, six-year contract that included $10.8 million in guaranteed money. Although the Vikings thought enough of Williams to extend the restricted free agent a first-round tender of $1.43 million, meaning any team that attempted to sign him would have had to part with a first-round selection, he wasn't pleased.

"I definitely had to shake it off, definitely had to shake it off," he said.

Williams, 26, expressed his displeasure by skipping the Vikings' non-mandatory spring developmental camps and stayed home in North Carolina with his young daughter. He also continued to work out and promised coach Mike Tice he would return to Minnesota in the proper frame of mind.

"It just gave me time to get away," Williams said. "I didn't have to be here, so I just took that time and trained and did whatever I needed to get back ready to come back and play. ... I got over [the disappointment] before I got into training camp."

Used initially whenever opponents' employed multiple-receiver sets -- meaning he has played nearly as much as a starter -- Williams' blitzing ability was evident in Week 3 against New Orleans when he had three QB hurries.

"I think it's just a knack," Williams said of his success pressuring quarterbacks. "I never worked on it. It's just something that is instincts."

Williams suffered a sprained left knee in the victory over New Orleans and missed the next two contests. However, that did little to impact defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell's feeling about how Williams has played.

"He has played great for us," Cottrell said. "He's playing a number of positions. We ask him to do a lot. I can't say enough about him. He's just come in here with a great attitude. You know we had this thing during the offseason but he came in, put all that stuff aside, and he's been a pro the whole time."

Williams figures if he continues to play this way there is no doubt he will be a starter next season -- either with the Vikings or somewhere else.

"Definitely," he said. "That's what you go out every Sunday for. Every team in the league looks at everybody and [games are] basically my résumé."

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Lotza is offline Team Alumni

Re: Cornerback covers disappointment well

hats off to williams , he's been playin great football under a lot of pressure.

Go vikes!!

B-Will doesn't get enough praise.

He is not a stellar DB but he certainly is a solid one & has played well this year.

mnvikes61 is offline Team Alumni

yah the only thing i was upset with him about was before the season and it was up in the air whether or not he was going to hold out. he has been stepping up when we need him to this year.

Thanks Josdin

thepacksux is offline Asst. Coach

im sure some team will over pay for him next season and it wont be us. if we can get a good rb in free agency, i wouldnt mind seeing our new nickel back drafted in the first round.

Del Rio Guest

No doubt in my mind Brian Williams will be playing for a different team next year.

I'm sure he will still be tearing it up too only he will get paid what he deserves and he will hopefully be playing for some fans that would cheer him on.

"Del Rio" wrote:
    No doubt in my mind Brian Williams will be playing for a different team next year.

I'm sure he will still be tearing it up too only he will get paid what he deserves and he will hopefully be playing for some fans that would cheer him on.
    That's my opinion as well. He won't play 2nd fiddle at CB & he's good enough to start. If he can't start in Minnesota, then he'll be starting elsewhere.

With Carroll not performing well in GB, I expect they'll take a shot at signing him.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

bwill is playing good football right now. lets hope he can keep it up. shouldnt be a problem tonight against the great packer recivers.
    We're bringing purple back.

"gregair13" wrote:
    bwill is playing good football right now. lets hope he can keep it up. shouldnt be a problem tonight against the great packer recivers.
    Do they even have more than 1? :twisted:

GQVikesfan is offline Starter

I dont want to see Brian Williams go after this year.. he is one of my favorite players on this team.. :sad:
    My toys!
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v158/GQNauticaGuy/?action=viewt=car2.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v158/GQNauticaGuy/Audi3.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast