PAvikesfan is offline Star Spokesman

Corelation Between the Run and FG Kickers

Well, maybe i am stating the obvious, but with much talk of us turning to the run more often and the trade of Moss, the FG kicker becomes a huge asset.

When you run a lot, you also get stopped short a lot more often around the 30-40 yard line...this means a 40 to 50 yard field goal try is the way to go...except for our Vikings as of right now. When you run a lot, even with Pitt last year, you get stalled and the kicker comes in to kick and add some points. however, since we can't kick 30 yards without feeling nervous our guy will miss, we will just plain stall before we get to the redzone or try and go for it on 3 and 5--half of the time failing . there is a huge problem here.

I am just pointing out a problem that will cost us games.

also, the corelation to the kick off and Defense. we added a crapload of quality D FA's, but when the other team is starting at their 40 yard line each time, our D suffers and our field position suffers if we stop them.

Del Rio Guest

Even heavy running teams don't run every down.

I think the smash mouth run theme includes screens and short passess as well. It is a more wear you down, set up the play action type of thing. One of the brightest spots for me last year was Culpeppers ability to convert the third down. I think the Corelation between the run and the FG's isn't really an issue. Because when they say they are going to be a running team I bet they run the ball 30 times a game instead of 20.

But we do need a good FG kicker. I will happy if we can go all year without missing an XP. LOL.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Corelation Between the Run and FG Kickers

"PAvikesfan" wrote:
    Well, maybe i am stating the obvious, but with much talk of us turning to the run more often and the trade of Moss, the FG kicker becomes a huge asset.

When you run a lot, you also get stopped short a lot more often around the 30-40 yard line...this means a 40 to 50 yard field goal try is the way to go...except for our Vikings as of right now. When you run a lot, even with Pitt last year, you get stalled and the kicker comes in to kick and add some points. however, since we can't kick 30 yards without feeling nervous our guy will miss, we will just plain stall before we get to the redzone or try and go for it on 3 and 5--half of the time failing . there is a huge problem here.

I am just pointing out a problem that will cost us games.

also, the corelation to the kick off and Defense. we added a crapload of quality D FA's, but when the other team is starting at their 40 yard line each time, our D suffers and our field position suffers if we stop them.
    I agree completely. We need a high accuracy kicker with good range. I don't care whther it is Nugent or a FA kicker as long as it is NOT morten or Elling.

btw-- Has anyone else noticed that we went perfectly .500 last year? 2-2 preseason, 8-8 regular season, 1-1 postseason.

PAvikesfan is offline Star Spokesman

Del rio: your right in a lot of ways, but it is still a huge concern when we stall on 35 yard line... Pep was great last year at converting third downs, but our offense isn't exactly the same as it was. i hope i am wrong. a good kicker will give the option of not having to take a chance on a 3 and 5 or a 3 and 8 or even worst like a lot of time 4rth and 5 or 4rth and 8. we tried for it on a lot of 4rth and so's last year mostly because we couldn't trust our kicker to pull through.

i just don't want to be put in the situation of being the forth quarter and being on the 35 and having to go for it when we could easily win with a good FG kicker. this is pipe dreams however... being nervous in the forth quarter is what we are used to with the vikes.

Del Rio Guest

Yeah you're right on there no doubt about it. And we did do that a lot last year. I just don't think because we run the ball it means we will be more likely to end up in that situation.

I just hope and pray we get a kicker worth something. Maybe a little Faud action. Not him of course but someone like him. Heck I don't even know if he was good I never pay attention to kickers. But his name is cool.

Guruzen is offline Starter

"Del Rio" wrote:
    I just hope and pray we get a kicker worth something. Maybe a little Faud action. Not him of course but someone like him. Heck I don't even know if he was good I never pay attention to kickers. But his name is cool.
    Just get any kicker with surname Gramatica and we'll be ok

On the topic of cool kicker names... remember Stoyanovich? Now that's a kicker name if I ever heard one!

Paulbedy59 is offline Coordinator

I,m hoping we take nugent in the second,I would like to relax alittle with our placekicker.The last few years have been kind of a joke. :salute:
    If winning isn,t everything,why keep score?

Some mock drafts have us taking Colquitt from Tennesee...but he is listed as a P. Does he do fieldgoals too or what?

Sig Created by MinnesotaFury

Paulbedy59 is offline Coordinator

I don,t believe he does. :salute:
    If winning isn,t everything,why keep score?