Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Cordarrelle Patterson highlights

Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson 2012 Highlights

Don't get me wrong, I am excited by the pick, and I think that the Vikings knocked it out of the park on day 1 of the draft. But there are a couple of things that I have seen from Patterson that he needs to work on.

1) He loves the cut back and running horizontally. In college that can work. In the NFL he will not be able to break it out as often. I don't mind him trying to make something out of nothing, but there are a couple of times in that video where he runs backwards to create space. In the NFL that results in negative yards.

2) Routes. Doesn't appear to be his strong point.

Luckily, these are teachable issues, but they will affect the impact he can make this year. I think we will see him start to come into his own towards the end of the season, and then break out in 2014.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

C Mac D is online now Posting to P'own
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    I agree, he also seems a bit lumbering... I know he's fast, but he doesn't have that "turn on a dime" quality.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

tastywaves is online now Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson 2012 Highlights

Don't get me wrong, I am excited by the pick, and I think that the Vikings knocked it out of the park on day 1 of the draft. But there are a couple of things that I have seen from Patterson that he needs to work on.

1) He loves the cut back and running horizontally. In college that can work. In the NFL he will not be able to break it out as often. I don't mind him trying to make something out of nothing, but there are a couple of times in that video where he runs backwards to create space. In the NFL that results in negative yards.

Luckily, these are teachable issues, but they will affect the impact he can make this year. I think we will see him start to come into his own towards the end of the season, and then break out in 2014.
    His ability to run with the ball will be his strength for the first few years. Musgrave just has to figure out how to get him the ball. I can see a lot of PH'ish plays being used with him.

He will need a lot of coaching as you say to reach his potential, but the athleticism is hard to ignore. He only has one year playing at the elite college level, so it is understandable that he's raw, however, that doesn't mean he'll be a quick study.

Either way, I think we will see some exciting plays from this guy this year.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Nobody really talked much about it, but Harvin's return game was phenomenal, and Cordarrelle replaces at least some of that.

And he does run like a running back, almost reminds me of Barry a lil, with his side to side running all over and suddenly bursting downfield after making 3 guys miss. That quality might help us eat out more clock with the passing game, keeping our defense fresh, and the top notch offenses of our division rivals sitting on their asses on the sidelines!

2013 Combine workout: Cordarrelle Patterson - NFL Videos

Check out the combine video if you haven't, he nails the gauntlet drill, catching every one smoothly, and looks like a beast busting out that 4.4 40!!

We moved a later 2nd round pick all the way back into the end of the first, 23 spots up, by giving up a 3 and 4...and whatever on the 7, we still have 2 more of those anyway. The trade chart value is pretty spot on, although the 7th is an extra 6 pts on 640, 1% tax is all right by me.
    Last edited by mountainviking; 04-26-2013 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Fix # moved up
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    Nobody really talked much about it, but Harvin's return game was phenomenal, and Cordarrelle replaces at least some of that.
    I have.

No one with 10 ore more KO returns averaged more than Harvin. He led the league with an average of 36 yards per return.

There were those that thought Sherels did a great job on KO returns, but he averaged 10 yards less than Harvin did.

I think the great field position we had helped us considerably playing a short field. Especially considering that we had to have Walsh attempt 19 FG's of 40+ yards, 10 of which were 50+.

Patterson's KO returns aren't really much better than Sherels. He averaged 26.8 last year, while Sherels averaged 26.4.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by nodakpaul View Post
    tennessee wr cordarrelle patterson 2012 highlights

don't get me wrong, i am excited by the pick, and i think that the vikings knocked it out of the park on day 1 of the draft. But there are a couple of things that i have seen from patterson that he needs to work on.

1) he loves the cut back and running horizontally. In college that can work. In the nfl he will not be able to break it out as often. I don't mind him trying to make something out of nothing, but there are a couple of times in that video where he runs backwards to create space. In the nfl that results in negative yards.

2) routes. Doesn't appear to be his strong point.

Luckily, these are teachable issues, but they will affect the impact he can make this year. I think we will see him start to come into his own towards the end of the season, and then break out in the playoffs.
    ftfy

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries
    He needs to evolve from this kind of gimmick player to a WR, hopefully he can do it.

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    No doubt the dude is fast as hell, he has Randy Moss in his heyday speed. His problem is his route running. I just hope that Jennings can mentor him and teach him some good habits on route running.

MulletMullitia is offline PP.O Ambassador
    Blog Entries
    Will they just retire #84 already? I don't care if Randy plays for another team this year lol. It crushes me to see Jenkins and then a rookie take it. That's just wrong. And I love Cordarrelle Patterson!

Sorry Rick! Keep up the good work.

MulletMullitia is offline PP.O Ambassador
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post

And he does run like a running back, almost reminds me of Barry a lil, with his side to side running all over and suddenly bursting downfield after making 3 guys miss. That quality might help us eat out more clock with the passing game, keeping our defense fresh, and the top notch offenses of our division rivals sitting on their asses on the sidelines!

2013 Combine workout: Cordarrelle Patterson - NFL Videos

Check out the combine video if you haven't, he nails the gauntlet drill, catching every one smoothly, and looks like a beast busting out that 4.4 40!!

We moved a later 2nd round pick all the way back into the end of the first, 23 spots up, by giving up a 3 and 4...and whatever on the 7, we still have 2 more of those anyway. The trade chart value is pretty spot on, although the 7th is an extra 6 pts on 640, 1% tax is all right by me.
    I was at the combine this year in Indy! Cordarrelle Patterson and Tavon Austin were clearly on another level. They outperformed the field and it wasn't even close. Those preaching for Hunter > Patterson are crazy in my opinion.

Sorry Rick! Keep up the good work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast